MODEL QUESTION 22
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Man is the (a) —— of his own fortune. If he makes (b) —— proper (c) —— of his time and does his duties accordingly, he is sure (d) —— improve and progress (e) —— life, but if he does otherwise, he has (f) —— suffer when it is too late. To waste time is as bad as to commit suicide (g) ——, our life is nothing but the sum total (h) —— hours, days and years. If we waste (i) —— morning hours of life, we shall have to repent (j) —— the long run.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Learning a language is (a) —— to riding a cycle. The most (b) —— thing (c) —— any language is communication. You can learn to (d) —— effectively by using a language, by doing things with it and by experiencing it. You (e) —— learn English in the same (f) —— as one learns to ride a cycle. Do not (g) —— if people laugh at you (h) —— you make (i) ——. You can certainly learn (j) —— mistakes.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Dowry||is||sold to the womanhood of the wife|
|In the name of dowry manhood of the husband||refers to||the name of a black trading|
|The selling of manhood||hampers||taking dowry because it hampers our dignity|
|This imprisonment of the husband||must give up||the normal conjugal life|
|We||the buying of the imprisonment|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=5
Price hiking of household products (a) —— now a problem for us. Everyday we (b) —— it. Most of our people (c) —— low income are in danger. They (d) —— of purchasing meat and fish as they (e) ——. The price of vegetables is also high. We are to bargain (f) —— a simple product. Many times the buyers (g) ——. There (h) —— a fixed price for every time. Then it (i) —— possible to make the buyers free from harassment. Government (j) —— to fulfill our expectation.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Excuse me, are you Jack?” said Salmon.
“No, I am not. He is over there,” said Hamid.
“Oh, I am sorry,” said Salmon.
“Are you a new student here?” said Hamid.
“Yes, I am.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Patriotism is a great virtue. (Interrogative)
(b) The man, who is a patriot is loved by all. (Simple sentence)
(c) On the other hand, treachery is hated by all. (Negative)
(d) The treacherous do not deserve any praise. (Complex)
(e) They sink into oblivion after death because everybody forgets them. (Compound)
(f) They are the most hateful person in the society. (Positive Degree)
(g) Even if they are remembered, they are remembered with disgust. (Active voice)
(h) Nawab Sirajudaullah is one of the most remarkable persons of patriotism. (Comparative Degree)
(i) Jafar Ali Khan is more treacherous than many other persons. (Superlative Degree)
(j) How adorable Nawab is! (Assertive)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) —— we can’t prosper.
(b) It is computer ——.
(c) We got our independence ——.
(d) —— people go on smoking.
(e) It is a matter of irony that——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
The unit by which the (a) — (loud) — of sound is measured is called a decibel. According to the UN, the normal (b) — (tolerate) — limit of sound is 45 decibels. When the (c) — (vibrate) — of sound is at a tolerable, (d) — (please) — level, it is simply called sound. But when it is sharp and harsh to the ears, it becomes noise. Serious harm can be caused to people if they are (e) — (regular) — exposed to sounds exceeding 70 decibels. This noise and excess sound is known as sound (f) — (pollute) — which harms our ear and heart (g) — (serious) —. Specially (h) — (age) — or old persons suffer from (i) — (bearable) —, problem for sound (j) — (pollute) —.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Though the girl is intelligent, she is often deceived——?
(b) Where there is smoke, there is fire, ——?
(c) Strike the iron, while it is hot, ——?
(d) Undoubtedly, our culture has some drawbacks, ——?
(e) Let’s discuss the story of Ruplal that Mrs. Amin told us, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Rockets prove very expensive (a) —— they can be used only once. (b) —— scientists have recently developed a reusable spacecraft called a space shuttle (c) —— takes-off like a rocket (d) —— does not get destroyed (e) —— it comes back to earth. It can be used for many purposes.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5 twenty years ago i lived in village now it has turned into a big one not only that it is going to be a crowded town this way we face changes don’t we changes should be accepted but that should
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) maker; (b) a; (c) division; (d) to; (e) in; (f) to; (g) for; (h) of; (i) the; (j) in.
2. (a) similar; (b) important; (c) about; (d) communicate; (e) can; (f) way; (g) worry; (h) when; (i) mistake; (j) through.
3. (a) Dowry hampers the normal conjugal life.
(b) In the name of dowry manhood of the husband is sold to the womanhood of the wife.
(c) The selling of manhood is the name of a black trading.
(d) This imprisonment of the husband refers to taking dowry because it hampers our dignity.
(e) We must give up the buying of the imprisonment.
4. (a) is; (b) face; (c) having; (d) cannot think; (e) require; (f) to buy; (g) are cheated; (h) is; (i) is; (j) is trying.
5. Drawing Hamid’s attention Salmon politely asked him if he was Jack. Hamid replied that he was not. Then pointing to a place Hamid told Salmon that he (J) was over there. At this, Salmon apologised and then Hamid asked Salmon if he was a new student there. Salmon replied in the affirmative and said that he was.
6. (a) Isn’t patriotism a great virtue?
(b) A patriot is loved by all.
(c) On the other hand, treachery is not loved by anyone.
(d) Those who are treacherous do not deserve any praise.
(e) Everybody forgets them after their death and so they sink into oblivion.
(f) No other persons in the society are as hateful as they.
(g) Even if we remember them, we remember them with disgust.
(h) Nawab Sirajuddoulah is more remarkable than most other persons of patriotism.
(i) Jafar Ali Khan is one of the most treacherous persons.
(j) Nawab is very adorable.
7. (a) If we don’t work hard, we can’t prosper.
(b) It is computer which computes swiftly
(c) We got our independence after we had lost huge blood.
(d) Though it is harmful, people go on smoking.
Or, Though smoking is harmful, people go on smoking.
(e) It is a matter of irony that such a little child lost its mother.
8. (a) loudness; (b) tolerance; (c) vibration; (d) pleasant; (e) regularly; (f) pollution; (g) seriously; (h) aged; (i) unbearable; (j) pollution.
9. (a) Though the girl is intelligent, she is often deceived, isn’t she?
(b) Where there is smoke, there is fire, isn’t there?
(c) Strike the iron while it is hot, will you?
(d) Undoubtedly, our culture has some drawbacks, hasn’t it?
(e) Let’s discuss the story of Ruplal that Mrs. Amin told us, shall we?
10. (a) because/ for; (b) Therefore; (c) which/that; (d) but; (e) when.
11. Twenty years ago, I lived in a village. Now it has turned into a big one. Not only that, it is going to be a crowded town. This way we face changes, don’t we? Changes should be accepted but that should be positive.