MODEL QUESTION 2
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Everybody knows that food (a) —— is a crime. Adulterated food is poisonous and it (b) —— fatal diseases. People (c) —— this kind of food fall a (d) —— to liver diseases, cancer, kidney failure and so on. Some businessmen are (e) —— for this sort of (f) —— work. They deserve severe (g) ——. Sometimes the authority concerned make occasional (h) ——. The government has taken (i) —— steps against them. We hope that the passed laws will be properly (j) ——.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Books are man’s best companions (a) —— life. You may have very good friends (b) —— you do not get them (c) —— the time of need. They may not behave gently (d) —— you. One or two may prove (e) —— betrayers and do you much (f) ——. But books are always there (g) —— you. Some books may (h) —— you laugh, some books may give you much pleasure and some again may provide you (i) —— new knowledge and new ideas. They remain your friends (j) —— your life.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Education||is can prosper ennobles||the training for proper growth.|
|It||the liberation of prejudice.|
|Nobody||our minds and refines sensibility.|
|The purpose of education||in life without education.|
|the process by which our mind develops.|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
We always (a) —— for various diseases only for food adulteration. Food adulteration (b) —— a subject of great concern nowadays. In spite of government’s sincere efforts, this evil practice (c) —— on. We (d) —— more careful in the regard, (e) —— foods are (f) —— by people everyday. Consequently the poison (g) —— in our bodies day by day and it (h) —— very dangerous. The businessmen (i) —— after money (j) —— committing this heinous deed.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“I came here yesterday from my village,” Raja said. “Why did you come here,” I said. “My mother sent me to you with this letter.” “How is your mother? I have not seen her for a long time.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) People in general are fond of glittering things. (Complex)
(b) They are concerned with the outer show of things and beings. (Active)
(c) Gold is metal which is very precious. (Simple)
(d) But there are some other metals looking like gold. (Compound)
(e) They fade soon and lose their beauty. (Simple)
(f) Gold is different from metals. (Positive)
(g) It is very shining. (Exclamatory)
(h) Every one likes it. (Interrogative)
(i) The price of gold is increasing day by day. (Interrogative)
(j) Specially the women are attracted by it. (Active)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) —— is not the wastage of time.
(b) If I had a lot of money ——.
(c) —— the boy went to school.
(d) The student works hard ——.
(e) He is fond of ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Citizens having good character lead a (a) — (virtue) —life. Their thoughts and (b) — (behave) show high moral values. They cannot even think of doing any (c) — (moral) deed. One of the most positive qualities of these people is tolerance towards others. Tolerance and respect to others can make life (d) — (harmony) and (e) — (peace) in society. If a person is (f) — (tolerant), life becomes difficult and almost (g) — (possible) for that person. As we want to live in (h) — (happy), we must learn social norms. By obeying social norms, we can enjoy (i) — (heaven) pleasure. On the other hand, we will suffer a lot if we (j) — (obey) these.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) He hardly goes out, ——?
(b) Every mother loves her child,
(c) Our exam is over. None is in tension, —— ?
(d) Let her sing a folk song, —— ?
(e) The books cost me Tk. 500/-, —— ?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
There lived a poor (a) —— honest farmer in a village. He lived a very simple life with his wife (b) —— children. (c) —— he was honest, he worked hard on his farm from dawn to dusk. One day (d) —— he was walking, to his field, he suddenly saw a purse of gold on the road. He carried it home (e) —— he could show it to his wife and children.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
last december the sundarban circus came at our school field on friday i went there with my elder brother when we arrived there the area was already crowded we purchased tickets and entered the tent
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) adulteration; (b) causes; (c) eating; (d) victim; (e) liable; (f) heinous; (g) punishment; (h) inspection; (i) certain; (j) enacted.
2. (a) in; (b) but; (c) at; (d) with; (e) sheer; (f) harm; (g) with; (h) make; (i) with; (j) throughout/through.
3. (a) Education is the process by which our mind develop.
(b) It ennobles our mind and refines our sensibility.
(c) It is the training for proper growth.
(d) Nobody can prosper in life without education.
(e) The purpose of the education is the liberation of prejudice.
4. (a) suffer; (b) is; (c) is going; (d) should be; (e) adulterated; (f) taken; (g) accumulates; (h) becomes; (i) hankering; (j) are.
5. Raja told me that he had gone there the previous day from his village. I asked him why he had gone there. He said that his mother had sent him to me with that letter. I asked him how his mother was. I also said that I had not seen her for a long time.
6. (a) People in general are fond of things which are glittering.
(b) The outer show of things and beings concerns them.
(c) Gold is a very precious metal.
(d) But there are some other metals and they look like gold.
(e) They fade soon losing their beauty.
(f) Metals are not similar to gold.
(g) How shinning it is!
(h) Who doesn’t like it?
(i) Isn’t the price of gold increasing day by day?
(j) Specially it attracts the women.
7. (a) Reading newspaper is not the wastage of time.
(b) If I had a lot of money, I would help the poor.
(c) Finishing the homework the boy went to school.
(d) The student works hard to make a good result.
(e) He is fond of playing cricket.
8. (a) virtuous; (b) behaviour; (c) immoral; (d) harmonious; (e) peaceful; (f) intolerant; (g) impossible; (h) happiness; (i) heavenly; (j) disobey.
9. (a) He hardly goes out, does he?
(b) Every mother loves her child, don’t they?
(c) Our exam is over. None is in tension, are they?
(d) Let her sing a folk song, will you?
(e) The books cost me Tk. 500/= , didn’t they?
10. (a) but; (b) and; (c) As; (d) while; (e) so that.
11. Last December the Sundarban Circus came at our school field. On Friday I went there with my elder brother. When we arrived there, the area was already crowded. We purchased tickets and entered the tent.