MODEL QUESTION 30
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Mobile phone is one of the (a) —— of modern science. It has added (b) —— new dimension (c) —— our way (d) —— life and to (e) —— communication system. It is a telephone system that works (f) —— any wire. Obviously, mobile telecommunication has become (g) —— part of modern life. Now-a-days, (h) —— a mobile phone is not a luxury (i) —— a poor country like Bangladesh. People use mobile phones to do rapid (j) —— .
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Bird flu is an infectious disease. It attacks human body (a) —— direct or indirect contact (b) —— infected birds, ducks and chickens. Sea birds and migratory birds can spread bird flu. Today it has spread (c) —— an epidemic form in many Asian countries. Recently it has broken (d) —— as an epidemic form in many districts of Bangladesh. It is really (e) —— very horrifying matter for us. People of our country are becoming anxious about this disease. In order to prevent bird flu, (f) ——poultry caretakers and the public must (g) —— the rules of waste management which is (h) ——root cause of bird flu. It is high time we raised awareness (i) —— people to remove (j) ——curse of bird flu.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Adversity||prompts||our latent power, which enables us to prosper in life|
|But it||enables||its uses also|
|This||is||us to know true friends from false ones|
|It also||develops||regarded as a curse|
|has||us to exert ourselves|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
When Rahamat (a) —— to Calcutta from Afghanistan, he (b) —— with him the impress of his little daughter Rabeya’s palm on a piece of paper. He always (c) —— it with him. It (d) —— with a five rupee note once Mini (e) —— him when he (f) —— delicacies. He (g) —— them both to the jail. There he often (h) —— the treasures from the jailor and (i) —— a look at them. He (j) —— his daughter Rabeya or Mini either.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“What are you writing?” The angel looked up and replied in a sweet tone, “The names of those who love the Lord.” “And is mine one?” asked Abu. “No, your name is not included here,” replied the angel. Abu said, “Please write down my name as one who loves his fellowmen.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Patriotism is one of the greatest virtues. (Positive)
(b) As a patriot has patriotism, he is loved by all. (Compound)
(c) Who likes an unpatriotic man? (Passive)
(d) What a noble virtue patriotism is! (Assertive)
(e) It is better than most other qualities of man. (Superlative)
(f) It inspires a man who can do everything just and fair for the betterment of the country. (Simple)
(g) A patriot is loved and respected by the countrymen. (Active)
(h) A patriot is always remembered by people. (Negative)
(i) An unpatriotic man is hated everywhere. (Complex)
(j) Despite his worldly immense wealth, he remains a worthless person. (Compound)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) If we drink arsenic polluted water, ——.
(b) Surface water is safe when under ground ——.
(c) Pond water is not safe as ——.
(d) —— because they are not conscious.
(e) Since there is scarcity of pure water ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Books are our best friends. They introduce us to the realm of (a) — (limited) — knowledge. The books of great (b) — (write) — contain noble thoughts and great ideas. We can (c) — (rich) — our mind by reading books. The reading of book brings (d) — (perfect) — in our life. No (e) — (spirit) — progress and worldly (f) — (prosper) — can be thought of without reading books. (g) — (true) — speaking, reading books is such a thing that has no (h) — (alternate) —. So all should read books on (i) — (vary) — topics. So that we may bring proper (j) — (develop) — of our spirit.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Hello, Sumon, I believe you are coming to the airport, ——?
(b) Of course, I am coming with Azim, ——?
(c) The plane will land at about 9 am, ——?
(d) But sometimes it delays, ——?
(e) Please bring a camera with you, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
(a) —— man has made tremendous technological progress, he has not been able to conquer nature completely. (b) ——, he is hit by natural calamities. (c) ——, a devastating flood very often occurs in Bangladesh leaving people homeless (d) —— other various calamities damage and destroy life and property. (e) ——, some of the African countries are affected by drought.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
the man said to me where are you going i am going to school said i did you go to school yesterday no i replied why didn’t you go to school i was very busy said i
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) wonder; (b) a; (c) to; (d) of; (e) the; (f) without; (g) a; (h) keeping; (i) in; (j) communication.
2. (a) through; (b) from; (c) in; (d) out; (e) a; (f) both; (g) obey; (h) the; (i) among; (j) the.
3. (a) Adversity is regarded as a curse.
(b) But it has its uses also.
(c) This enables us to know true friends from false ones.
(d) It also develops our latent power, which enables us to prosper in life.
(e) It also prompts us to exert ourselves.
4. (a) came; (b) brought; (c) carried; (d) was preserved; (e) had given; (f) hawked; (g) carried; (h) brought; (i) had; (j) could not forget.
5. Abu asked the angel what he (angel) was writing. The angel looked up and replied in a sweet tone that he (angel) was writing the names of those who loved the Lord. Abu asked if his (Abu) name was written. The angel replied in the negative and said that his (Abu) name was not included there. Then Abu requested the angel to write down his (Abu) name as one who loved his fellowmen.
6. (a) Very few virtues are as great as patriotism.
(b) A patriot has patriotism and so he is loved by all.
(c) By whom is an unpatriotic man liked?
(d) Patriotism is a very noble virtue.
(e) It is one of the best qualities of man.
(f) It inspires a man making him able to do everything just and fair for the betterment of the country.
(g) The countrymen love and respect a patriot.
(h) A patriot is never forgotten by people.
(i) A man who is unpatriotic is hated everywhere.
(j) He may have worldly immense wealth but he remains a worthless person.
7. (a) If we drink arsenic polluted water, we will be affected with arsenicosis gradually.
(b) Surface water is safe when underground water is polluted with arsenic.
(c) Pond water is not safe as it contains germs and bacteria.
(d) Many people drink arsenic contaminated water because they are not conscious.
(e) Since there is scarcity of pure water, we can preserve rainwater.
8. (a) unlimited; (b) writers; (c) enrich; (d) perfection; (e) spiritual; (f) prosperity; (g) Truly; (h) alternative; (i) various; (j) development.
9. (a) Hello, Surhon, I believe you are coming to the airport, aren’t you?
(b) Of course, I am coming with Azim, aren’t I /ain’t I ?
(c) The plane will land at about 9 am, won’t it?
(d) But sometimes it delays, doesn’t it?
(e) Please bring a camera with you, will you?/won’t you?
10. (a) Though; (b) So; (c) For example; (d) along with; (e) On the other hand.
11. The man said to me, “Where are you going?” “I am going to school,” said I. “Did you go to school yesterday?” “No”, I replied. “Why didn’t you go?” “I was very busy,” said I.