MODEL QUESTION 36
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Natural calamity means natural (a) —— which is (b) —— by nature. Every year Bangladesh falls victim (c) —— various natural calamities. They are flood, earthquakes and many other natural calamities. The effects of (d) —— natural calamities beggar description. The people are affected and animals suffer (e) —— sufferings. They cause (f) —— damage to our life and properties. Thousands of people and other animals remain (g) —— food for many days. The (h) —— effects are very serious. Many people die for want of food. (i) —— breaks out. The prices of all necessary things go (j) ——.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Mrs Rehana teaches English. She (a) —— communicative approach (b) —— language teaching. She has (c) —— good command of English. She creates (d) —— English environment in (e) —— class and we have (f) —— ample opportunity to hear and speak us English. When we cannot understand the meaning of a new word in (g) —— text, she makes us understand it (h) —— using different techniques rather than translating it (i) —— Bangla. But she usually tells us to guess the meaning (j) —— the context.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|The people||only freedom from foreign domination is an old idea|
|The real freedom||means||arise themselves to achieve it|
|Liberty||must||freedom from want, disease and ignorance|
|It is a fruit that||does not||descend upon a people automatically|
|That freedom||is||be earned before it can be enjoyed|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
Food (a) —— our basic need. But this food is (b) —— by the greedy businessmen who (c) —— after money. Having (d) —— the adulterated food, people (e) —— a victim to diseases of various kinds. For the capital punishment of the dishonest businessmen, the (f) —— laws must be (g) —— for the betterment of common public health. It is (h) —— that the strict law will be (i) —— with a view to (j) —— the harmful act of food adulteration.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Where are you from?” said the teacher. “I am from Nepal,” said the student. “How did you find Dhaka when you first arrived?” said the teacher. “Well, I like it. I think the city is very beautiful,” said the student.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Birds are one of the greatest gifts of nature. (Positive)
(b) Who does not love birds? (Assertive)
(c) We must be kind to them. (Negative)
(d) They help to keep ecological balance. (Interrogative)
(e) In winter birds come to our country from Siberia. (Complex)
(f) The birds eat up the insects which are harmful for our crops. (Simple)
(g) Birds beautify nature to a great extent. (Passive)
(h) Very few living things are as useful as birds for our ecosystem. (Superlative)
(i) Birds are very essential. (Exclamatory)
(j) Crow is the ugliest of all birds. (Comparative)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) It is high time ——.
(b) Scarcely had we finished our duty ——.
(c) She spoke as though ——.
(d) The students are studying hard lest ——.
(e) If he had utilized his time properly ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
(a) — (confidence) makes a man reach the goal of life. The lack of (b) — (determine) — leads one to lose his (c) — (confident) —. You need it in life. Then (d) — (fail) — is the pillar of success, whereas success without (e) — (compete) — is not enjoyable. Determination keeps you (f) — (mental) — strong and you make (g) — (prepare) — for struggle to reach the goal. Nobody can gain (h) — (prosper) — in his mission. Failure makes us more (i) — (determine) — to work with (j) — (renew) — vigour and energy.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Hello, Liza. Father’s birthday is on Monday next, —?
(b) Yes, Lili. Only two days are left, ——?
(c) We need to buy some beautiful gifts, ——?
(d) Of course. Let’s go to a watch shop, ——?
(e) What a nice idea, Liza, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
(a) —— newspaper is a storehouse of knowledge, we should read it regularly. (b) —— it is a matter of regret that many of us are unwilling to do it. (c) —— they lag behind in this progressive world. (d) —— they keep themselves away from everything current. (e) —— they remain blind all through their lives.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
why are you going to barisal said father i want to buy some important books said saad do you need money yes father dont go alone as times is not going well
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) disaster; (b) caused; (c) to; (d) the; (e) untold; (f) heavy; (g) without; (h) after; (i) famine; (j) out.
2. (a) follows; (b) to; (c) a; (d) an; (e) the; (f) an; (g) the; (h) by; (i) into; (j) from.
3. (a) Liberty does not descend upon a people automatically.
(b) The people must raise themselves to achieve it.
(c) The real freedom is freedom from want, disease and ignorance.
(d) It is a fruit that must be earned before it can be enjoyed.
(e) That freedom is only freedom from foreign domination is an old idea.
4. (a) is; (b) contaminated; (c) run; (d) consumed; (e) fall/are falling; (f) existing; (g) rectified; (h) expected; (i) implemented; (j) curbing.
5. The teacher asked the student where he was from. The student replied that he was from Nepal. The teacher again asked the student how he had found Dhaka when he had first arrived. The student thinking for a while answered that he liked Dhaka and added that he thought the city was very beautiful.
6. Changing sentences
(a) Very few gifts of nature are as great as birds.
(b) Everyone/Everybody loves birds.
(c) We cannot but be kind to them.
(d) Don’t they help to keep ecological balance?
(e) When it is winter, birds come to our country from Siberia.
(f) The birds eat up the insects harmful for our crops.
(g) Nature is beautified by birds to a great extent.
(h) Birds are one of the most useful things for our ecosystem.
(i) How essential birds are!
(j) Crow is uglier than all other birds.
7. (a) It is high time we started for school.
(b) Scarcely had we finished our duty when the supervisor appeared.
(c) She spoke as though she had been a learned person.
(d) The students are studying hard lest they should fail in the exam.
(e) If he had utilized his time properly, he would have prospered in life. ,
8. (a) Self-confidence; (b) determination; (c) confidence; (d) failure; (e) competition; (f) mentally; (g) preparation; (h) prosperity; (i) determined; (j) renewed.
9. (a) Hello, Liza. Father’s birthday is on Monday next, isn’t it?
(b) Yes, Lili. Only two days are left, aren’t they?
(c) We need to buy some beautiful gifts, don’t we?
(d) Of course. Let’s go to a watch shop, shall we?
(e) What a nice idea, Liza, isn’t it?
10. (a) As/Since; (b) But; (c) So/This is why/For this reason; (d) Besides; (e) As a result.
11. “Why are you going to Barisal”? said father. “I want to buy some important books,” said Saad. “Do you need money? “Yes, father.” “Don’t go alone as time is not going well.”