Dinajpur Board Question 2017
Part–A : Grammar (Marks-60)
1. Fill in the blanks in the following text with articles (a/an/the) as necessary. Some of the blanks may not require an article. Put cross (´) in those blanks. 0×5´10 = 5
What (a) — surprise it was! Robin got (b) — first prize in (c) — competition. I was really (d) — amazed at his success. Of course he was trained by (e) — expert coach for (f) — time. He always obeyed (g) — instructions given by (h) — coach. Even he was not found outside (i) — camp during practice session. (j) — boy like him is always appreciated by the people.
2. Complete the text with suitable prepositions : 0×5´10 = 5
Badal lived (a) — a village of Bangladesh. He was a school boy. There was a canal (b) — his way (c) — school. An old bridge was (d) — that canal. It was useful to one and all of the villagers. Yet none cared (e) — its repair. So one day it broke (f) — and caused a good deal (g) — hardship to the villagers. They were (h) — difficulty. They could not go to the town (i) — the other side of the canal to sell their fruits and vegetables profitably. They sold their production (j) — local market at a nominal price.
3. Complete the sentences with suitable phrases/ words given in the box. 0×5´10 = 5
|there||let alone||it||as if||what…. look like|
|have to||as soon as||was born||had better||would rather|
(a) We — not go out today. A riot has broken out in our locality.
(b) — is a good idea to walk in the morning. One can take it as an important form of physical exercise, because it refreshes both the body and mind.
(c) Do you often — travel on business? You are always seen travelling abroad.
(d) Long ago, — lived a very pious man. His name was Hatem Tai and he was very kind hearted.
(e) — does a clown —? You’ve seen a clown in the circus many a time.
(f) — I see my father coming my heart fills up with joy. I am very much fond of my father.
(g) I got a job at a bar. But I hate working at a bar. I — be a waiter than a barman.
(h) Kazi Nazrul Islam — in an impoverished family. He had to earn even when he was a small boy.
(i) The economical condition of Robi is very poor. He can not afford one meal per day — square meals.
(j) After the final match of the FIFA World Cup 2014, Messi looked — he were completely routed. His cherished dream had been shattered.
4. Complete the sentences using suitable clauses/ phrases : 0×5´10 = 5
(a) Rifat does not like —. He knows that rich food does not contain rich vitamins.
(b) As Shafi is devoted to studies, all his teachers love him. He hopes to —.
(c) — is not good. We should give up it.
(d) — gives no pleasure. It is always painstaking.
(e) There is nobody — . Hence happiness is a relative term.
(f) Birds — in winter are called migratory birds. We should not kill them.
(g) People are careful — in Dhaka city. They don’t waste their resource.
(h) Man is a social being. No man can do —.
(i) Robinson Crusoe was born in England. His father wanted him —.
(j) — in Bangladesh are unemployed. Self employment is a possible solution to this problem.
5. Read the text and fill in the gaps with the correct form of verbs as per subject and context.
0×5´10 = 5
In the last autumn vacation I (a) — (get) sufficient time. So I (b) — (make) up my mind to make a journey by train from Dhaka to Chittagong. I (c) — (reach) the station about half an hour before the departure of the train. It (d) — (be) then a very busy time. Rickshaw, motorcars and other vehicles (e) — (come) to the station with passengers. Coolies (f) — (run) behind them. There (g) — (be) shouts and rush of the passengers and the coolies. After sometime hearing a whistle, the passengers (h) — (stand) in a queue before the ticket counter. I also (i) — (stand) in the line and (j) — (buy) a second class ticket.
6. Read the text and change the sentences as directed : 1 ´ 5 = 5
(a) Water, an important vital element of environment is polluted in various ways (complex). It is called life. (b) The water which is pure is necessary for us (simple). (c) Men pollute water by throwing waste in it (compound). (d) The farmers use water in time of cultivation largely (passive). (e) It is one of the most important elements of all living beings (positive).
7. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches. 5
He said to me, “I am very sorry to trouble you, but I shall be much obliged if you will kindly lend me your dictionary.” “I shall be very glad to be of service to you, and you are welcome to any of my books that you think of use to you,” said I.
8. Identify the unclear pronoun references in the following paragraph. Where necessary, rewrite the sentence so that all pronoun references are clear. 5
Sunlight is the source of all energy of the earth. All the living beings are dependent upon this. Green plants are the producer of the ecosystem. All plants and animals of it are interconnected serially. Consequently, there develops a food chain among these. The transfer of food energy takes place from producers through a series of food levels. This is called food chain of food in the ecosystem. There are numerous food chains in an ecosystem. Food chain does not work in isolation. These are linked together to form a food web.
9. Read the following text and use modifiers as directed in the blank spaces : 0×5´10 = 5
Sabbir is (a) — (use determiner to pre modify the noun phrase) ideal student. He prepares (b) — (use possessive to pre modify the noun) lessons in collaboration with his teachers. He does (c) — (post modify the verb) in every examination as he does not waste time. He knows time once lost is lost for ever. So, he utilizes every moment. During his free time he goes to his native village. He teaches (d) — (pre modify the noun) people. He wants (e) — (use an infinitive phrase to post modify the verb) illiteracy from his village. (f) — (use present participle to pre modify the verb) illiteracy from his village, he wants to bring about massive development there. He is (g) — (use an intensifier to pre modify the adjective) devoted to God. He says prayer (h) — (use quantifier to pre modify the noun) times a day. He never tells a lie. He respects his parents very much. Other superiors are also respected by him. His father, (i) — (post modify the noun phrase with an appositive) supports him cordially. His mother, an ideal housewife, (j) — (pre modify the verb) supports him very much. Such a student like Sabbir is rarely found nowadays.
10. Use appropriate sentence connectors in the blank spaces of the following passage : 0×5´10 = 5
It was the night before my math exam in the 2nd semester. I could not do better in the math exam of 1st semester. (a) —, I was really serious about the exam. (b) —, I was careful enough not to spend a single moment in vain. But, the night did not pass smoothly at all (c) —, it was full of mishaps. (d) —, the electricity went out. I waited for it for about an hour, however, there was no sign of its coming. (e) —, I lighted a candle and began to study again. The flickering light of the candle was creating problems for me. Soon, I began to feel a bad headache. I really wanted to get rid of it. (f) —, I left my reading room and stood in the balcony for some time. I began to feel better, but could not stay there for long. (g) —, I left the place. (h) —, I went to my reading room again. (i) —, to add to my gladness the electricity came. I could finish my study within two hours. (j) —, I went to bed with a happy mind.
11. Read the passage and write the antonyms and synonyms of the words as directed below : 0×5´10 = 5
All this was perplexing and upsetting. For at the time I had already made up my mind that imperialism was an evil thing and the soonerI chucked up my job and got out of it the better. Theoretically and secretly, of course I was all for the strugglers and against their oppressors.
(a) perplexing (antonym) (b) upsetting (antonym) (c) imperialism (synonym) (d) evil (antonym) (e) sooner (antonym) (f) Chucked (synonym) (g) better (antonym) (h) theoretically (synonym) (i) secretly (synonym) (j) oppressor (synonym).
12. There are ten errors in the use of punctuation marks in the following text. Re-write the text correcting the errors : 0×5´10 = 5
Aryan : Do you read newspaper regularly Farhan
Farhan : Yes I do. What’s about you
Aryan : To tell you frankly I do not read newspaper regularly.
Farhan : Why you get enough time during the break in the college.
Aryan : Yes I do get but I do not like. Moreover I think it is a wastage of time.
Farhan : Remember newspaper is called the ‘storehouse’ of knowledge.
The more you will read newspaper the more you will learn.
Aryan : Then, from today, I will start reading newspaper
Farhan : Yes, that’s like a good friend.
Part–B : Composition (Marks-40)
13. Suppose, you are a student of New Ideal Govt. College. Now, write an application to the principal of your college for organizing an English Language Club. 8
14. Suppose, you are a reporter to a national daily. Now, write a report on a terrible fire accident in a garments factory in your locality. 8
15. Write a paragraph describing “The Importance of Female Education”. 10
16. Write a short composition on “Impact of Climate Change in Bangladesh”.
Solution to Dinajpur Board-2017
1. (a) a (b) the (c) the (d) ´ (e) an (f) a (g) the (h) the (i) the (j) A
2. (a) in (b) on (c) to (d) over (e) for (f) down (g) of (h) in (i) on (j) in
3. (a) had better (b) It (c) have to (d) there (e) What ….. look like (f) As soon as (g) would rather (h) was born (i) let alone (j) as if
4. (a) Rifat does not life rich food.
(b) He hopes to obtain A+ in the coming examination.
(c) Smoking is not good.
(d) Working overtime gives no pleasure.
(e) There is nobody who is always happy.
(f) Birds coming from the other countries are called migratory birds.
(g) People are careful of using their resources in Dhaka city.
(h) No man can do a single day without the help of others.
(i) His father wanted him to be a doctor.
(j) A large number of youths in Bangladesh are unemployed.
5. (a) got (b) made (c) reached (d) was (e) were coming (f) were running (g) were (h) stood (i) stood (j) bought
6. (a) Water which is an important element of environment is polluted in various ways.
(b) Pure water is necessary for us.
(c) Men throw waste in water and pollute it.
(d) Water is used by the farmers in time of cultivation largely.
(e) Very few elements of all living being are so important as it.
7. He told me that he was very sorry to trouble me but assured me that he would be much obliged if I would kindly lend him my dictionary. I told him that I would be very glad to be of service to him and added that he was welcome to any of my books that he thought of use to him.
8. Sunlight is the source of all energy. All the living beings are dependent upon sunlight. Green plants are the producer of the ecosystem. All plants and animals of the environment/ ecosystem are interconnected serially. Consequently, there develops a food chain among the plants and animals. The transfer of food energy takes place from producers through a series of food levels. The process is called food chain of food in the ecosystem. There are numerous food chains in an ecosystem. Food chin does not work in isolation. The food chains are linked together to from a food web.
9. (a) an (b) his (c) well (d) the elderly (e) to remove (f) Removing (g) very (h) five (i) a govt. employee (j) also
10. (a) So (b) In fact (c) Rather (d) Firstly/Such as (e) However (f) So (g) After a while (h) Then (i) Fortunately (j) Finally/At last
11. (a) clean (b) amazing (c) colonialism (d) good (e) later (f) left (g) worse (h) Practically (i) openly (j) autocrat
12. Aryan : Do you read newspaper regularly, Farhan?
Farhan : Yes, I do. What’s about you?
Aryan : To tell you frankly, I do not read newspaper regularly.
Farhan : Why? You get enough time during the break in the college.
Aryan : Yes, I do get but I do not like.
Moreover, I think it is a wastage of time.
Farhan : Remember, newspaper is called the ‘storehouse’ of knowledge. The more you will read newspaper the more you will learn.
Aryan : Then, from today, I will start reading newspaper.
Farhan : Yes, that’s like a good friend.
Note : For solution to question no. 13-16 see writing part.