Section—A : Grammar (30 Marks)
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Myself : I want (a)― transfer certificate, sir.
Headmaster : Now, it is (b)― middle of the session. Why do you need (c)― transfer certificate?
Myself : My father, (d) ― employee of (e)― government office, has been transferred from Comilla to Dhaka.
Headmaster : Can’t you stay here for (f)― rest of (g)― session?
Myself : No, sir. My father is not able to afford me here.
Headmaster : Don’t you have any relative here?
Myself : No, I haven’t.
Headmaster : Where is (h)― application?
Myself : Here it is, sir.
2. Promila is writing to her friend about a brave warrior, Rustam. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|about||for × 2||in × 2||by × 2||of|
Do you know long ago there lived (a)—— Persia a brave warrior named Rustam, who was dearly loved (b)—— his fellow countrymen (c)—— bold deeds and generous heart? So, his deeds were so wonderful that all men stood (d)—— awe of him and believed that his strength and courage were more than human. He spent his days wandering (e)—— the world in search (f)—— adventures accompanied (g)—— his horse Rukesh, the most faithful friend. Whenever the weak were oppressed or the innocent was ill treated, there Rustam and his horse would appear and soon all would been righted and the evil doers would be punished (h)—— their wrongs and misdeeds.
With best love to you.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear mother,
Hope you are well. I am also well. I know (a)—— you are thinking about my movement in Dhaka (b)—— at the (c)―—— of hartal. It is true (d)—— it is very risky to move in Dhaka city during hartal. At any time, I can (e)—— in danger. Even somebody can (f)—— his life. Breaking the (g)—— is a common scene in the hartal. But I was (h)—— by a senior student of my school. There was no (i)― on the way. Rather I (j)—— the journey much.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|A dictionary||learn||a collection of words of a language.|
|It||be||an important book.|
|A student can||know||the pronunciation of a word from it.|
|He can||the meaning of words form a dictionary.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
There lived two friends in a village. (a) One day they were walking through a desert. (Interrogative) (b) Suddenly one friend slapped the other (Interrogative). (c) The other friend wrote it in the sand (Passive). (d) He said nothing (Interrogative) .(e) What a noble boy he is! (Assertive)
6. Fill in the gaps with right forms of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0×5 × 8 = 4
My name is Tarek. I live with my mother. My father (a)— (‘live’ in the negative) with us because he (b) — (work) in Saudi Arabia. I haven’t got any brothers or sisters and so I (c)— (spend) a lot of time with my cousin Jahed. I often remember the days with my father. When I (d) — (be) a baby, I (e) — (‘make’ expressing habit) my father a horse to take a ride. Not only that, everyday he (f)— (tell) me many interesting stories. My mother nowadays says that we (g) — (shift) to Saudi Arabia soon, but I really don’t want to leave this country. Rather, I prefer my father to (h) — (stay) here with us.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0×5 × 8 = 4
after school i like to go home take a cool bath have my meals and take rest for a while then i like to go to the play-ground and watch the football game and sometimes play cricket with my classmates.
Model Question-25 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) the; (c) a; (d) an; (e) a; (f) the; (g) the; (h) the.
2. (a) in; (b) by; (c) for; (d) in; (e) about; (f) of; (g) by; (h) for.
3. (a) that; (b) city; (c) time; (d) that; (e) fall; (f) lose; (g) vehicles; (h) accompanied; (i) difficulty; (j) enjoyed.
4. (i) A dictionary is a collection of words of a language.
(ii) It is an important book.
(iii) A student can learn the pronunciation of a word from it.
(iv) He can know the meaning of words from a dictionary.
5. (a) Weren’t they walking through a desert one day?
(b) Didn’t one friend slap the other suddenly?
(c) It was written in the sand by the other friend.
(d) Did he say anything?
(e) He is a great/noble boy.
6. (a) does not live; (b) works; (c) spend; (d) was; (e) used to make; (f) told; (g) shall shift; (h) staying.
7. After school I like to go home, take a cool bath, have my meals and take rest for a while. Then I like to go to the play ground and watch the football game and sometimes play cricket with my classmates.