1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Rajib : Friend, how are you?
Myself : Fine, and you?
Rajib : I’m also fine by (a) — grace of Almighty. What are you reading?
Myself : I am reading about Alfred Bernard Nobel and Nobel Prize.
Rajib : Please tell me about what does (b) — word ‘Nobel’ actually refer to?
Myself : Nobel prize is (c) — world’s most important prize. It is named after (d) — Alfred Bernard Nobel, (e) — Swedish scientist.
Rajib : What is the source of this prize?
Myself : He left behind (f) — huge amount of 90,00000 dollars to give (g) — prizes.
Rajib : In which fields is the prize given?
Myself : This prize is given in the six fields, namely physics, chemistry, literature, medicine, peace and (h) — economics.
Rajib : Thank you very much.
Myself : You are welcome.
2. Hassan is writing to his friend Rohan about the remedies against fever. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
My dear Rohan,
I received your letter yesterday. (a) — your letter, I came to know that you are suffering (b) — fever. It is not a new problem (c) — you because you suffer from illness very often. It is you who are responsible for the trouble because you are indifferent (d) — your health. You should keep (e) — mind that health is wealth. If you do not possess a sound health, you will not be able to concentrate (f) — your study. Moreover, an unhealthy man can never be happy. I advise you to consult a doctor immediately. You should maintain regularity and take proper food. I hope you will take much care (g) — your health (h) — now on.
Your loving friend,
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
I have received your (a) — note. You have wanted to (b) — how I have spent my summer vacation. (c) — I am describing it. I have enjoyed my (d) — vacation in our village house. My grandparents live (e) —. They were (f) — glad to get me in their (g) — after a long time. Our village is a very nice place. It stands on the bank of a river. Everyday I (h) — to go to take bath in the river with my cousins. I swam in the river. There is a large (i) — in front of our village house. Mangoes, jackfruits, coconuts, black berries, bananas were available. I enjoyed very much there (j) — the vacation.
No more today. Write to me soon about you.
Your loving friend,
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|People of all walks of life||joined||in the war.|
|They||fought||face to face with the enemies.|
|Our war of Independence||took||place in 1971.|
|Many people||were killed||the war.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Frugality is a good habit (Make it negative). (b) A frugal man does not like to spend money without reasons (Make it affirmative). Everyone can practise frugality to make a well planned family. (c) We should practise it (Make it passive). (d) A frugal man can save money (Make it interrogative). (e) A frugal man is happier than a prodigal man (Make it positive).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. Question b and h have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
The brightness of the sun (a) — (become) dim before (b) — (‘sink’ use present participle) down of the sun below the horizon. It (c) — (mark) the end of the day. It (d) — (be) really very charming to (e) — (enjoy) the sunset scene in a cloudless sky. It looks like a dish of gold. We (f) — (find) a brilliant show of colours in the western sky. Seven colours (g) — (make) the western sky look soothing. The crimson red is prominently (h) — (‘see’ use passive voice).
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Once upon a time there was a good doctor he lived in a small village many people there raised chickens one day they came to the doctor’s house and said please doctor help us all our chickens are sick What do they eat he asked white rice they replied.
Model Question-8 Solution
1. (a) the; (b) the; (c) the; (d) ´; (e) a; (f) a ; (g) the; (h) ´.
2. (a) From; (b) from; (c) for; (d) to; (e) in; (f) on; (g) of; (h) from.
3. (a) sweet; (b) know; (c) Now; (d) summer; (e) there; (f) very; (g) midst; (h) used; (i) orchard; (j) spending.
4. (i) Our war of Independence took place in 1971.
(ii) Many people were killed in the war.
(iii) People of all walks of life joined the war.
(iv) They fought face to face with the enemies.
5. (a) Frugality is not a bad habit.
(b) A frugal man dislikes to spend money without reasons.
(c) It should be practised by us.
(d) Can’t a frugal man save money?
(e) A prodigal man is not as happy as a frugal man.
6. (a) becomes; (b) sinking; (c) marks; (d) is; (e) enjoy; (f) find; (g) make; (h) seen.
7. Once upon a time there was a good doctor. He lived in a small village. Many people there raised chickens. One day they came to the doctor’s house and said, “Please, doctor, help us. All our chickens are sick.” “What do they eat?” he asked. “White rice,” they replied.