1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Rina : My mother has (a) —— unquenchable thirst for learning. She is going to learn about computer to Dhaka. What do you think about it, grandmother?
Grandmother : I know learning is (b) —— continuous process.
Rina : But how is it that (c) —— aged person like my mother will learn.
Grandmother : There is no age limit of learning. Anybody can learn at any age.
Rina : I know only students can learn. Is it wrong?
Grandmother : Yes, you’re wrong. People also learn through (d) —— experience.
Rina : How is it possible?
Grandmother : Have you learnt about six blind men and (e) — elephant?
Rina : No, what is it?
Grandmother : It’s (f) —— poem. Here six blind men learnt different things by touching the elephant.
Rina : Thank you (g) —— grandmother. I have also learnt from you. It’s (h) —— excellent experience.
2. Kawser is writing a letter to his father asking him to send some money. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|in||by||of × 2||to × 2||about||from|
My dear Father,
Your cheering note (a)—— the 2nd instant is to hand. You wanted to know (b)—— my Annual Examination. You will be glad to know that I have stood second (c)—— the Annual Examination in order (d)—— merit. I have secured good marks in the exam. I hope this year my result will be much better. Immediately I need to buy new books and school dress which will cost Taka 2000 (two thousand). Kindly send me (e)—— postal money as earlier as possible. I do assure you that I do not waste any part of the money I get (f) —— you. Pray (g) —— Allah for my success.
Please convey my best regards (h)—— my beloved mother and love to my younger brothers and sisters.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear Sujana,
Hope you are well. I am in receipt of your letter. Now I am writing to you about the life of a fisherman in our country.
A fisherman is a person who earns his (a)—— by catching and selling (b)—— . Generally a fisherman (c)—— by the rivers, big canals, marshy lands and seas for his professional advantages. A fisherman lives with his family. He works (d)—— all day and all night. He is always (e)—— in making his fishing nets, repairing them, taking care of his fishing boat, dying and painting (f)—— . He passes most of his (g)—— in fishing in the river and in the sea. Sometimes he goes in the (h)—— sea for fishing and his family becomes anxious about his (i)—— return. He faces (j)—— sometimes.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Our family||am||two brothers and one sister.|
|I||are||of six members.|
|My parents||consists||very kind and sympathetic to us.|
|have||the youngest of them all.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Banglaesh is a land of scenic beauty. (Make it interrogative) (b) Cox’s Bazar is the longest beach in the world. (Use positive degree) (c) Everyone knows this. (Make it negative) (d) This beach is visited by tourists from home and abroad. (Make it acitve) They come here only to enjoy themselves. (e) Our government is going to take many steps to make it more attractive. (Make it passive)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question a and f have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Success (a)—— (‘come’ in the negative) to one’s life automatically. To be successful a man has to (b)—— (work) hard. He must be industrious. He must not (c)—— (deny) his work. He always (d)—— (come) to his workplace in proper time. He never (e)—— (avoid) hard working. On the other hand a lazy man (f)—— (‘come’ expressing habit) to his workplace late. He (g)—— (love) leisure. So, he (h)—— (suffer) in the long run.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
farabi is flora’s best friend they live in the same area also they are both in class 7 but they go to different schools.
Model Question-3 Solution
1. (a) an; (b) a; (c) an; (d) ´; (e) an; (f) a; (g) ´; (h) an.
2. (a) of; (b) about; (c) in; (d) of; (e) by; (f) from; (g) to; (h) to.
3. (a) livelihood; (b) fishes; (c) lives; (d) hard; (e) busy; (f) them; (g) time; (h) deep; (i) safe; (j) dangers.
4. (i) Our family consists of six members.
(ii) I have two brothers and one sister.
(iii) I am the youngest of them all.
(iv) My parents are very kind and sympthetic to us.
5. (a) Isn’t Bangladesh a land of scenic beauty?
(b) No other beach in the world is as long as Cox’s Bazar.
(c) There is no one but knows this.
(d) Tourists from home and abroad visit this beach.
(e) Many steps are going to be taken by our government to make it more attractive.
6. (a) does not come; (b) work; (c) deny; (d) comes; (e) avoids; (f) used to come; (g) loves; (h) suffers.
7. Farabi is Flora’s best freind. They live in the same area. Also they are both in class 7. But they go to different schools.