[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks.]
Section A : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Bangladesh is (a) —— land of rivers and canals, (b) —— villagers remain surrounded by water for four or five months in (c) —— year. So, it is (d) —— easy task to arrange (c) —— journey by boat. It was (f) —— month of Ashar. (g) —— rainy season had just set in. My mother one day proposed to pay (h) —— visit to her father’s house.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
English is used as a medium (a) —— communication. Since English is used all (b) —— the world, proficiency (c) —— English is preferred. People (d) —— good command (e) —— English can expect a good job (f) —— a better salary. Nowadays there is no alternative (g) —— it. So, we should give emphasis (h) —— it.
3. Complete the text using the suitable words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
I had a dream to pay a (a) —— to Dhaka. My dream (b) —— true last week. I along with my uncle visited many places of (c) —— interest. I (d) —— accompanied by my father. I was (e) —— to see a lot of big launches at Sadarghat. I visited Ahsan Manzil, Lalbagh (f) —— and Bara Katra. The (g) —— rise buildings of new Dhaka were a wonder to me. I (h) —— thrilled while visiting old Dhaka. My first visit to (i) —— was really enjoyable. I will (j) —— forget it.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Newspaper||is||the storehouse of knowledge.|
|It||express||us news of home and abroad.|
|People||is called||useful to all sections of people.|
|gives||their opinion through it.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) My father is an honest man. (Negative) (b) His honesty moves me a lot. (Passive) (c) His honesty to his duty is simply great. (Interrogative) (d) Everyone of his office cannot but love him. (Affirmative) (c) My father is the best father in the world. (Comparative)
6. Fill in the gaps with right form of verbs in the brackets. Questions a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of the verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
One day a piece of cake from the kitchen of a housewife (a) —— (‘steal’ in passive) by two cats who (b) —— (have) a dispute over their shares, but failed to (c) —— (decide). They had to exchange a lot of hot words. But all (d) —— (go) in vain. They could (e) —— (‘find’ in the negative) out any way. At that time a monkey (f) —— (come) there. It (g) —— (assure) them that he would divide it equally between the two. But at last what did the monkey do? Ill gotten ill (h) —— (spend).
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Kazi nazrul islam was born at churulia in the district of bardhwan in 1899 as a school pupil as a teacher of maktab as a shop-boy and as a soldier in the first world war he gathered a lot of experience he was sent to jail for his ‘dhumketu’ and ‘aganibina’.
Model Question-33 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) The; (c) a; (d) an; (e) a; (f) the; (g) The; (h) a.
2. (a) of; (b) over; (c) in; (d) with; (e) over; (f) with; (g) to; (h) on.
3. (a) visit; (b) came; (c) historical; (d) was; (e) amazed; (f) fort; (g) high; (h) felt; (i) Dhaka; (j) never.
4. (a) Newspaper is useful to all sections of people.
(b) It is called the storehouse of knowledge.
(c) It gives us news of home and abroad.
(d) People express their opinion through it.
5. (a) My father isn’t a dishonest man.
(b) I am moved a lot by his honesty.
(c) Isn’t his honesty to his duty simply great?
(d) Everyone of his office must love him.
(e) My father is better than any other father in the world.
6. (a) was stolen; (b) had; (c) decide; (d) went; (e) not find; (f) came; (g) assured; (h) spent.
7. Kazi Nazrul Islam was born at Churulia in the district of Bardhwan in 1899. As a school pupil, as a teacher of maktab, as a shop-boy and as a soldier in the First World War, he gathered a lot of experience. He was sent to jail for his ‘Dhumketu’ and ‘Agnibina’.