[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks.]
Section A : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Badal is (a) —— street boy. He is (b) —— Orphan. He lives in (c) —— slum with his friends, gets up in (d) —— morning and goes to work. He works all (e) —— day long. He leads (f) —— very miserable life. But he has (g) —— dream. He wants to continue his (h) —— education in the school.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps.
There lived a poor but worthy farmer (a) —— a village. (b) —— the small income (c) —— his fewer acres (d) —— land, he used (e) —— support himself, his wife and seven children. One day while walking (f) —— the fields, he was thinking (g) —— how he could add (h) —— his income.
3. Complete the text using the suitable words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Mrs. Shahana’s daughter Mahin wakes up (a) —— morning at six O’clock and cleans her (b) ——, washes her mouth, hands and (c) ——. Then she takes her (d) ——. After that she prepares (e) —— lesson. Next (f) —— takes bath, wear (g) —— dress, combs her (h) ——, takes her meal (i) —— goes to school by (j) ——.
4. Make for sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|It||has||flowers nowadays for commercial purpose.|
|We all||love||a sweet smell.|
|Many people||is||the symbol of purity.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
We are Bangladeshi. (a) We are proud of our freedom fighters. (Interrogative) (b) Their contribution will never be forgotten. (Affirmative) (c) Were they not inspired by the common people? (Assertive) (d) We will never dishonour their sacrifice. (Affirmative) (e) We must follow their footprint. (Negative)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verbs in the brackets. Questions e and f have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Smoking (a) —— (be) injurious to health. It (b) —— (cause) different types of diseases. Our environment is also (c) —— (pollute) by it. It also (d) —— (cost) a lot of money. Unfortunately, many of us do (e) —— (‘realise’ in the negative) this and have got (f) —— (‘smoke’ expressing a habit). Every year many people (g) —— (die) of diseases caused by smoking. So we should (h) —— (give) up smoking for the sake of our health.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
mr islam is going to mymensingh in order to see her daughter his son-in-law is supposed to come to the station to receive him fuad khan the son-in-law of mr islam is a university lecturer
Model Question-34 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) an; (c) a; (d) the; (e) ´; (f) a; (g) a; (h) ´.
2. (a) in; (b) With; (c) of/from; (d) of; (e) to; (f) by; (g) about; (h) to.
3. (a) every; (b) teeth; (c) feet; (d) breakfast; (e) her; (f) she; (g) clean; (h) hair; (i) and; (j) rickshaw.
4. (a) A flower is the symbol of purity.
(b) It has a sweet smell.
(c) We all love flowers.
(d) Many people cultivate flowers nowadays for commercial purpose.
5. (a) Aren’t we proud of our freedom fighters?
(b) Their contribution will always be remembered.
(c) They were inspired by the common people.
(d) We will always honour their sacrifice.
(e) We cannot but follow their footprint.
6. (a) is; (b) causes; (c) polluted; (d) costs; (e) not realise; (f) used to smoking; (g) die; (h) give.
7. Mr. Islam is going to Mymensingh in order to see her daughter. His son-in-law is supposed to come to the station to receive him. Fuad Khan, the son-in-law of Mr. Islam is a university lecturer.