[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks.]
Section A : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with an article and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Man is (a) —— best creation of Allah. He is (b) —— rational being. His creation is not (c) —— mere play or without any purpose. He has to do (d) —— lot but his life is (e) —— short. So he must decide what he should do and what he should not. He must have (f) —— aim in life. Without a definite aim he cannot reach (g) —— pinnacle of glory in (h) —— life.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
One day a dog stole a piece of meat (a) —— a butcher’s shop and ran (b) —— with it. While he was crossing a bridge, he saw his own shadow (c) —— the water of the stream. He thought it was another dog (d) —— another piece of meat in its mouth. In order (e) —— get that piece of meat he (f) —— once jumped upon his own shadow with a loud bark. As soon as he opened his mouth, the piece (g) —— meat dropped from his mouth and was taken away (h) —— the current of the stream.
3. Complete the text using the suitable words in the box. Extra one is given. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Once there (a) —— a rich lady in Rome. She paid a visit to the (b) —— of a poor lady. She (c) —— many ornaments of (d) —— own. She (e) —— the poor lady all her ornaments and (f)——, “Now, show me your ornaments, please.” In (g) —— the poor lady said, “Wait a bit.” After a short while her two sons (h) —— from school. “These (i) —— sons are my wealth and (j) ——,” said the poor lady.
4. Make four sentence from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Emperor Shahjahan||built||at Agra in India.|
|It||looks||beautiful on a moonlit night.|
|is situated||by a beautiful garden.|
|is surrounded||the Taj Mahal.|
5. Read the following sentences and change them as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Bangladesh is an independent country. (Negative) (b) We defeated the Pakistani army. (Passive) (c) We achieved freedom in 1971. (Interrogative) (d) Our country is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. (Positive) (e) We cannot but love our country. (Affirmative)
6. Fill in the gaps with right form of verbs. Questions e and g have special instructions in the brackets for the use of the verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Long, long ago there (a) —— (live) a kind-hearted king named Solomon. He (b) —— (be) a very just and wise king. All the people in his kingdom (c) —— (be) very happy for his judgment. One day two women (d) —— (come) to the court of the king. They (e) —— (use ‘to be’ verb) quarrelling over a child. “I am the mother of the child,” (f) —— (say) the first woman. “This woman (g) —— (‘steal’ in the past perfect tense) my baby from my house.” “No, she is a liar,” said the other woman. “The baby is mine.” The king (h) —— (do) not know what to do.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary.
ibn battuta was a great explorer he was born in morocoo in the 14″‘ century he travelled from one place to another for more than thirty years he visited many countries in asia and africa he also wrote down the wonderful things he saw in those countries.
Model Question-32 Solution
1. (a) the; (b) a; (c) a; (d) a; (e) ´; (f) an; (g) the; (h) x.
2. (a) from; (b) away; (c) in; (d) with; (e) to; (f) at; (g) of; (h) by.
3. (a) lived; (b) house; (c) had; (d) her; (e) showed; (f) said; (g) reply; (h) returned; (i) two; (j) ornaments.
4. (a) Emperor Shahjahan built the Taj Mahal.
(b) It is situated at Agra in India.
(c) It is surrounded by a beautiful garden.
(d) It looks beautiful on a moonlight night.
5. (a) Bangladesh is not a dependent country.
(b) Pakistan army was defeated by us.
(c) Didn’t we achieve freedom in 1971.
(d) Very few countries in the world are as beautiful as our country.
(e) We must love our country.
6. (a) lived; (b) was; (c) were; (d) came; (e) were; (f) said; (g) had stolen; (h) did.
7. Ibn Batuta was a great explorer. He was born in Morocco in the 14th century. He travelled from one place to another for more than thirty years. He visited many countries in Asia and Africa. He also wrote down the wonderful things he saw in those countries.