1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Anik : Did you enjoy (a) —— function of Mrs. Murshed, Manik?
Manik : Yes, I enjoyed the function very (b) —— much. But what about you?
Anik : I also enjoyed like you. I think Rina’s grandmother is (c) —— exceptional lady.
Manik : She is not only good but also brave. She had (d) —— accident but she never got nervous.
Anik : This is why, she has been cured very soon.
Manik : She delivered (e) —— admirable speech.
Anik : Yes, it was. We also enjoyed (f) —— lunch.
Manik : Yes, the food was very (g) —— delicious.
Anik : Obviously, it was (h) —— outstanding preparation.
Manik : Let’s go now.
Anik : Okay. See you again.
2. Roney is writing a letter to his pen friend. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|about||of||in||forward||to||from||for × 2|
My dear Johny,
I received your letter yesterday. You wanted to know (a) —— me. I live (b) —— Dhaka, the capital city (c) —— Bangladesh. I am a VII grade student, and taking preparation (d) —— final examination. Besides other activities, I have some special fascination (e) —— doing gardening. I am very keen (f) —— hear (g) —— you. I am looking (h) —— for an early reply from you.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
I’ve learnt that you’re learning English. You’ve (a) —— me to give you some practical hints how to learn (b) —— correctly and use it properly. You’re grown up. So I think it’s needless to tell you something. Yet I’m (c) —— some practical hints. In order to have good command (d) —— English you’re to learn (e) —— rules and enrich vocabulary. Grammar will help you to write English (f)—— and rich vocabulary will help you to use the correct word at the proper place. Then you’re to practise (g) —— . Without practising speaking you can’t be fluent. You’re to write a few (h) —— in English. This will enhance your writing capacity. You should (i) —— your English class regularly. To develop your listening skill you must hear radio, TV, watch films, etc. Last of all you should (j) —— English books, newspapers, magazines, etc. which will go a long way to learn English.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Water||is||found in seas, rivers and ponds.|
|It||very useful to us.|
|useful to plants and other animals too.|
|a liquid substance.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
Bangladesh is a small country with a vast population. (a) Very few countries in the world are as populous as it. (Use comparative degree) Most of the people here live in the villages. (b) The villagers are mainly farmers. (Make it interrogative) (c) The villagers are not rich. (Make it affirmative) (d) They are honest and pious. (Make it negative). (e) They should be taken care of. (Make it active)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question g has special instruction in the bracket for the use of verb. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Physical exercise (a)― (play) a vital role to us. Without (b)― (take) physical exercise regularly, our body (c)― (get) rusty. So to (d)― (ensure) a sound mind, we should (e)― (take) proper physical exercise. Sound mind (f)― (lie) in a sound body. If we (g)― (‘be’ in the negative) conscious to our body, our mind will not remain sound. So it is very essential to (h)― (lead) a sound life.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
How is your father karim said Mr. Rahman he is very well thank you Karim replied” i am glad to hear that he is in good health” said Mr. Rahman.
Model Question-5 Solution
1. (a) the; (b) x; (c) an; (d) an; (e) an; (f) the; (g) x; (h) an.
2. (a) about; (b) in; (c) of; (d) for; (e) for; (f) to; (g) from; (h) forward.
3. (a) requested; (b) English; (c) giving; (d) over; (e) grammar; (f) correctly; (g) speaking; (h) pages; (i) attend; (j) read.
4. (i) Water is very useful to us.
(ii) It is a liquid substance.
(ii) It is found in seas, rivers and ponds.
(iv) It is useful to plants and other animals too.
5. (a) It is more populous than most other countries in the world.
(b) Aren’t the villagers mainly farmers?
(c) The villagers are poor.
(d) They are not dishonest and impious.
(e) We should take care of them.
6. (a) plays; (b) taking; (c) gets; (d) ensure; (e) take; (f) lies; (g) are not; (h) lead.
7. “How is your father, Karim?” said Mr. Rahman. “He is very well, thank you”, Karim replied.” “I am glad to hear that he is in good health”, said Mr. Rahman.