[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks.]
Section A : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
(a) —— student must take care of his health because (b) —— sound mind lives in (c) —— sound body. Good health is the key to (d) —— success. In order to enjoy (e) —— good health (f) —— student must observe (g) —— rules of health. (h) —— unhealthy man may be the possessor of vast wealth but he leads an unhappy life.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
In the zoo, I saw some monkeys (a) —— trees. They were jumping (b) —— one branch to another. I gave a bunch (c) —— bananas. Then I looked (d) —— the snakes. I was afraid at the sight (e) —— the snakes. (f) —— that I turned my eyes (g) —— tiger in the cage. They greeted me (h) —— their loud growls.
3. Complete the text using the suitable words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Babies need a lot of food because they grow very (a) ——. They need their mother’s (b) —— and other things. My (c) —— shows you their food for their first two (d) ——. Without this (e) —— our babies can’t have good (f) —— and won’t grow (g) ——. You must keep your babies clean and give them (h) —— water and food. This is very (i) —— because dirty thing is very (j) —— for babies.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Trees||carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.|
|They||need||our best friends.|
|We||are||oxygen to breathe.|
|take||very useful to men.|
5. Change the following sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) My school is not far from my home. (Affirmative) (b) Ruplal lived in small village. (Negative) (c) He was in a simple dress. (Interrogative) (d) He is very regular in his study. (Negative) (e) Didn’t he achieve vast property? (Affirmative)
6. Fill in the gaps with right form of verbs in the brackets. Questions c and d have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Time (a) —— (wait) for none. It (b)—— (go) on and on. It (c) —— (‘take’ in the negative form) any rest. Lost health may be (d) —— (‘regain’ in past simple). But lost time cannot be (e) —— (recover) by no means. Success in life (f) —— (depend) on the best use of time. If we (g) —— (make) the proper use of time, we (h) —— (be) sure to succeed in life.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 1 × 4 = 4
the next morning my mother woke me up early in the morning I had a bath and put on my best clothes then I had breakfast and started for the school with my mother.
Model Question-31 Solution
1. (a) A; (b) a; (c) a; (d) ´; (e) a; (f) a; (g) the; (h) An.
2. (a) on; (b) from; (c) of; (d) at; (e) of; (f) After; (g) at (h) with.
3. (a) quickly; (b) milk; (c) chart; (d) years; (e) food; (f) health; (g) properly; (h) clean; (i) important; (j) dangerous.
4. (a) Trees are very useful to men.
(b) They take carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.
(c) They are our best friends.
(d) We need oxygen to breathe.
5. (a) My school is near my home.
(b) Ruplal did not live in a big village.
(c) Wasn’t he in a simple dress?
(d) He is not at all irregular in his study.
(e) He achieved vast property.
6. (a) waits; (b) goes; (c) does not take; (d) regained; (e) recovered; (f) depends; (g) make; (h) are.
7. The next morning my mother woke me up early in the morning. I had a bath and put on my best clothes. Then I had breakfast and started for the school with my mother.