SSC English 2nd Paper Model-43 With Solutions
MODEL QUESTION 43
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
It is (a) —— fact that complete (b) —— does not exist in (c) —— life. (d) —— man mayn’t have all things that he needs (e) —— life. It is better not to seek complete happiness. Rather one should be satisfied (f) —— what one gets. It is (g) —— key factor to happiness. One should not think (h) —— what he has; what he does not have because (i) —— doing so a man becomes (j) —— and depressed. There are some people who think that it is money that brings happiness.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
A good man is (a) —— man of character. His polite behaviour is (b) —— great asset because he can win the heart (c) —— other people around him, no matter whether he is all he deals with. He behaves well rich or poor. He also (d) —— the admiration (e) —— (f) —— even those who are rude towards him because he hates to behave rudely. One who pretends to be polite cannot be polite (g) —— all circumstances. But (h) ——man who is really polite does not (i) —— to be polite whatever be (j) —— provocation.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Hence, to every nation its flag||to have patriotic feelings|
|For that we||need||dearer than any other things|
|Every independent country of the world||has||the symbol of independence and sovereignty of a nation|
|We||is||to safeguard its prestige|
|The national flag||its own flag|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
Time (a) —— very precious. Time (b) —— for anybody. No supremacy (c) —— it. It (d) —— forward and forward. It is not wise to (e) —— time. Those who (f) —— the best use of time (g) —— sure to (h) ——. All the great persons of the planet have (i) —— the best use of time. We should (j) —— them.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“What are you writing, my good angel?” asked Abu. The angel looked up and replied in a sweet voice, “The names of those who love the Lord.” “And is mine one,” asked Abu. “No, your name is not included here,” replied the angel. Abu then said, “Please, write down my name as one who loves his fellowmen.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) A flower is a glowing gift of nature. (Interrogative)
(b) Isn’t it the symbol of love and beauty? (Affirmative)
(c) Flowers are used on different occasions. (Active)
(d) We present flowers to out nearest and dearest persons. (Passive)
(e) We need flowers to decorate a place. (Complex)
(f) The rose is the best of all flowers. (Positive)
(g) Having sweet scent and beauty we love it very much. (Compound)
(h) It is lovelier than all other flowers. (Superlative)
(i) The rose is a very nice flower. (Exclamatory)
(j) As the demand for flowers is increasing day by bay we should cultivate flower on commercial basis. (Simple)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) Shamim is a farmer ——.
(b) He has land——.
(c) —— he was worried.
(d) There were clouds in sky but ——.
(e) One night he woke up ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Our rural people do not know how to purify water. Water (a) — (purify) — process can help them to drink pure water. If the arsenic (b) — (contaminate) — continues, arsenicosis will cause more deaths. Arsenic is found in groundwater. Tube well water contains arsenic. For (c) — (prevent) —— of arsenicosis people should eat a balanced diet containing fish and vegetables. We also need a campaign for (d) — (motivate) — to create (e) — (aware) — among people. Some humanitarian (f) — (organize) — have been trying to make people aware. They are helping people of arsenic (g) — (affect) — areas to identify the tube wells containing the (h) — (poison) — element that causes arsenicosis. The people in those (i) — (local) — are advised to eat a balanced diet (j) — (ideal) — containing fish and vegetables.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Truthfulness is greater than any other virtue in a man’s life, ——?
(b) The unfed ought to be fed, ——?
(c) The mother rose in her, ——?
(d) None came to help him, —?
(e) Our examination is over. Everybody is free now, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
(a) —— King Lear asked his eldest daughter, Goneril, how much she loved him, she declared in front of the whole court that she loved him more than her life. (b) —— Lear asked his second daughter, Regan, the same question, she replied saying that her only happiness was in loving him. (c) —— he called his youngest daughter, Cordelia, to speak. Lear expected her to speak (d) —— lovingly than her sisters had done. (e) —— Cordelia just stood there said nothing.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
killing birds is harmful for the environment govt must take some effective steps to stop the mindless killing of the guest birds that fly to bangladesh for winter shelter every year eighty years old mr ahmad a bird specialist recalls by that he was interested in hunting birds in his late teens
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) a; (b) happiness; (c) worldly; (d) A; (e) in; (f) with; (g) the; (h) about; (i) by; (j) frustrated.
2. (a) a; (b) a; (c) of; (d) wins/earns; (e) of; (f) towards; (g) in; (h) a; (i) pretend; (j) the.
3. (i) The national flag is the symbol of independence and sovereignty of a nation.
(ii) Hence, to every nation its flag is dearer than any other things.
(iii) Every independent country of the world has its own flag.
(iv) We need to safeguard its prestige.
(v) For that we need to have patriotic feelings.
4. (a) is; (b) does not wait; (c) can stop; (d) moves; (e) neglect; (f) make; (g) are; (h) succeed; (i) made; (j) follow.
5. Abu asked the angel what he (angel) was writing. The angel looked up and replied in a sweet voice that he (angel) was writing the names of those who loved the Lord. Abu asked him (angel) if his name was one. The angel replied in the negative that his name was not included there. Then Abu requested him (angel) to write down his name as one who loved his fellowmen.
6. (a) Isn’t flower a glowing gift of nature.
(b) It is the symbol of love and beauty.
(c) People use flowers on different occasions.
(d) Flower is presented to our nearest and dearest persons by us.
(e) We need flowers so that we can decorate a place.
(f) No other flower is as good as the rose.
(g) A flower has sweet scent and beauty and so we love it very much.
(h) It is the loveliest of all flowers.
(i) How nice a flower the rose is!
(j) Due to the increase of the demand for flowers day by day, we should cultivate flowers on commercial basis.
7. (a) Shamim is a farmer living in a village of Kushtia.
(b) He has land of his own.
(c) As the rainy season was a little late he was worried.
(d) There were clouds in the sky but they were swept away by the wind.
(e) One night he woke up hearing the sound of rain.
8. (a) purification; (b) contamination; (c) prevention; (d) motivation; (e) awareness; (f) organizations; (g) affected; (h) poisonous; (j) locality; (j) ideally.
9. (a) Truthfulness is greater than any other virtue in a man’s life, isn’t it?
(b) The unfed ought to be fed, oughtn’t they?
(c) The mother rose in her, didn’t it?
(d) None came to help him, did they?
(e) Our examination is over. Everybody is free now, aren’t they?
10. (a) Once; (b) When; (c) So; (d) more; (e) But.
11. Killing birds is harmful for the environment. Govt. must take some effective steps to stop the mindless killing of the guest birds that fly to Bangladesh for winter shelter every year. Eighty years old Mr. Ahmed, a bird specialist, recalls by that he was interested in hunting birds in his late teens.