MODEL QUESTION 44
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
A hospital is the home for (a) —— sick. It gives medical (b) —— to them free (c) —— cost. A hospital is (d) —— run by the government. A hospital has outdoor (e) —— indoor sections. (f) —— great number of the (g) —— people are treated in (h) —— outdoor section. People attacked (i) —— serious illness are admitted (j) —— the indoor section.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Computer was not invented (a) ——. It (b) —— time and hard labour to invent computer. Many (c) —— of science worked hard for years (d) —— and finally came out (e) ——. In fact, computer cannot work all (f) —— itself. It works on the (g) —— of the command (h) —— by the (i) ——. It is used in our daily life for a number of (j) ——.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|UNESCO||was tabled||in the form of a resolution unanimously|
|The proclamation||was given||a great tribute and glowing homage to the language martyrs|
|The recognition||has proclaimed||to spread mother tongues widely|
|The resolution||came||February 21 as the International Mother Language Day in 1999|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
After a few days, Robinson Crusoe had seen a footmark bigger than his own. He did (a) —— anyone on the island. Then one day he saw some wild looking savages feasting and (b) —— round a fire. There (c) —— two prisoners too. As they were dancing, one of the prisoners (d) —— and ran off for his life. He was (e) —— by the savages. Robinson hid himself behind a bush lest he should be (f) —— and made prisoner. The man ran so fast that they (g) —— him. There was a forest and the man went to (h) ——. However, the savages (i) —— into the forest to (j) —— him out and make him prisoner again.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Don’t go any further,” he said to the king. “If you do, you will not be able to come back.” “Go I must, at any cost,” said Ulysses, “I must free my poor men from the cruel witch.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Madhusudan Dutt was a very popular poet. (Make it an exclamatory sentence)
(b) He was one of the greatest dramatists in Bangla literature. (Make it positive degree)
(c) He was born at Sagordary on the bank of the Kapotaksho. (Make it a complex sentence)
(d) When he was a boy, he desired to be an Englishman. (Make it simple sentence)
(e) He was recognized by his teachers as a precious child. (Make it an active sentence)
(f) He though that he was born on the wrong side of the planet. (Make it an interrogative sentence)
(g) He also thought that his society was unable to appreciate his intellect. (Make it a negative sentence)
(h) Again he believed that none but the West would be more receptive to his creative genius. (Make it an affirmative sentence)
(i) He was an ardent follower of lord Byron. (Make it an interrogative sentence)
(j) He went to Europe and started composing poems. (Make it simple sentence)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) A cobbler was happy to ——.
(b) He had a neighbour having——.
(c) He wanted to help him by ——.
(d) —— the cobbler lost happiness.
(e) But for his money, ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Education develops our mind through (a) — (form) — learning. The mental and (b) — (intellect) — training is also provided by education. Again, the purpose of education, is to (c) — (lighten) — the individual. The (d) — (promote) — of the individual’s capacity is also its purpose. Education (e) — (noble) — our mind and refines our (f) — (sensible) —. So, there are (g) — (vary) — advantages of education. You cannot find any (h) — (advantage) — of education. In the present world no (i) — (develop) — can be thought without proper (j) — (educate) —.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) I didn’t see you for three days. You are getting on well with your studies, ——?
(b) Yes, I am trying heart and soul. I think attaining good marks is not impossible for a student, ——?
(c) Sure, but you have begun studying burning the midnight oil, ——?
(d) It’s true, I am trying my best. You look so delicate. It seems your body is weak for hard work, ——?
(e) You are right. I must consult a doctor soon, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
The fisherman used to cast his net four times a day. It (a) —— happened that one day he went down to the sea at noon. He reached the shore, set his basket, rolled up his shirt sleeves (b) —— cast his net far out into the water. After he had waited for the net to sink, he pulled on the cords with all his might, (c) —— that was (d) —— heavy that he could not draw it in. (e) ——, he tied the rope ends to a wooden stake.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
hello marium you look very hot and tired said nafis i was stuck in the traffic jam for one hour said marium sit down what would you like to drink said nafis i would love really chilled mineral water or something like that said marium
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) the; (b) treatment; (c) of; (d) generally; (e) and; (f) A; (g) sick; (h) the; (i) with; (j) to.
2. (a) overnight; (b) required; (c) votaries; (d) together; (e) successful; (f) by; (g) basis; (h) given; (i) operators; (j) functions/activities/purposes.
3. (a) UNESCO has proclaimed February 21 as the International Mother Language Day in 1999.
(b) The proclamation came in the form of a resolution unanimously.
(c) It is a great tribute and glowing homage to the language martyrs.
(d) The recognition was given to spread mother tongue widely.
(e) The resolution was tabled in Bangladesh.
4. (a) not see; (b) dancing; (c) were; (d) escaped; (e) pursued; (f) caught; (g) could not catch; (h) hide; (i) went; (j) find.
5. He requested the king not to go any further and warned that if he did he would not be able to come back. Ulysses vowed that he must go at any cost and added that he must free his poor men from the cruel witch.
6. (a) What a popular poet Madhusuden Dutt was!
(b) Very few dramatists in Bangla literature were as great as he.
(c) It was he who was born at Sagordary on the bank of the Kapotaksho.
Or, He was born at Sagordary which is situated on the bank of the Kapotaksho.
(d) In his boyhood, he desired to be an Englishman.
(e) His teachers recognized him as a precious child.
(f) Didn’t he think that he was born on the wrong side of the planet?
(g) He also though that his society was not able to appreciate his intellect.
(h) Again he believed that only the West would be more receptive to his creative genius.
(i) Wasn’t he an ardent follower of lord Byron?
(j) Going to Europe, he started composing poems.
7. (a) A cobbler was happy to lead a simple life.
(b) He had a neighbour having a lot of money.
(c) He wanted to help him by giving him some money.
(d) Taking money from his neighbour, the cobbler lost happiness.
(e) But for his money, he could not enjoy sound sleep.
8. (a) formal; (b) intellectual; (c) enlighten; (d) promotion; (e) ennobles; (f) sensibility; (g) various; (h) disadvantage; (i) development; (j) education.
(e) You are right. I must consult a doctor soon, ——?
9. (a) I didn’t see you for three days. You are getting on well with your studies, aren’t you?
(b) Yes, I am trying heart and soul. I think attaining good marks is not impossible for a student, is it?
(c) Sure, but you have begun studying burning the midnight oil, haven’t you?
(d) It’s true, I am trying my best. You look so delicate. It seems your body is weak for hard work, isn’t it?
(e) You are right. I must consult a doctor soon, mustn’t I?
10. (a) so; (b) and; (c) but; (d) so; (e) Therefore.
11. “Hello, Marium. You look very hot and tired,” said Nafis. “I was stuck in the traffic jam for one hour,” said Marium. “Sit down. What would you like to drink?”, said Nafis. “I would love really chilled mineral water or something like that,” said Marium.