MODEL QUESTION 58
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Population explosion is a constant threat to (a) —— environment, development (b) —— over all our existence. Especially (c) —— Bangladesh the population is growing (d) —— such a high rate (e) —— environment may soon fail to supply (f) —— their minimum necessities. Unless we (g) —— immediate steps to stop (h) —— rapid growth of population, our environment (i) —— one day encounter unpredictable difficulty and danger. Consequently, the inhabitants (j) —— experience destruction.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5Íl0=5
My home is in a village . It is a brick (a) —— house. My family consists (b) ——seven members. They are my parents, grandfather and grandmother. We are three brothers and sisters. I am (c) —— eldest of them. My grandfather is (d) —— retired government school teacher. My father is a doctor (e) —— in a govt. (f) ——. My mother is a professor in English in a college. Our house looks very (g) ——. Our house faces the south. So the sunshine and fresh air can (h) —— enter the house. It has three bed-rooms, a study room and a small veranda. The kitchen stands (i) —— the north and for this smoke cannot enter (j) —— the house.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Every Nation||are||every year with due solemnity|
|Our nation||has||some glorious days|
|These days||is||21st February, 26th March, 16th December|
|The 16th December||are observed||also some glorious and memorable days|
|must have||a glorious day for the people of Bangladesh|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
Truth always (a) —— in the world. Falsehood may (b) —— for the time being. Those who (c) —— engaged in (d) —— the truth are (e) —— by the people. Those who (f) —— interested in felling lies (g) —— in life. They may prosper seemingly. But they cannot (h) —— all the time. Socrates throughout his life would preach the truth. He tried to make people (i) —— what was good for them. He was troubled by the powerful people. Yet he never (j) —— teaching good things.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Mr. Fox’s very clever,” the other foxes said, “What’s he going to tell us?” Mr. Fox said, “Listen to me my friends. I have made a discovery. Do you want to know about it?” “Yes, of course, what is the discovery?”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Taimur was one of the greatest conquerors of the world. (Make positive)
(b) Young Taimur once attacked the province of a powerful prince. (Use passive voice)
(c) He entered the kingdom of the prince and captured a large village. (Make simple sentence)
(d) Taimur’s soldiers were all killed by the army. (Use active voice)
(e) He disguised himself as a poor traveller to survive. (Make complex sentence)
(f) He came to a house to ask for something to eat. (Make compound sentence)
(g) There lived an old woman in the house. (Make complex sentence)
(h) The woman became sympathetic to see Taimur. (Make compound sentence)
(i) The food was very hot. (Make exclamatory sentence)
(j) Taimur was too hungry to wait. (Make compound sentence)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) As flower is a symbol of love, beauty and purity, it is ——.
(b) There is hardly any person ——.
(c) We can turn our enemies into friends if we ——.
(d) It is said that those who do not love flowers——.
(e) Many people cultivate flowers because ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
The scene was (a) — (beauty) — described. The (b) — (music) — was an old man. He was (c) — (beard) —. It was (d) — (origin) — (e) — (think) — to the audience. He charmed the audience who were (f) — (thank) — to him. Suddenly some (g) — (fore) — entered the hall. They seemed (h) — (mind) — as they were (i) — (aware) — of the (j) — (joy) — atmosphere.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Time is very valuable . So, don’t waste time, ——?
(b) Abdullah and Nafisa are honest. Neither of them tells a lie, ——?
(c) Mother said to me, “You need not go to market, ——?”
(d) I have got a family. I am really happy in my family, ——?
(e) ‘I’ is a pronoun, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
My attention was next to the cage in (a) —— there are two big snakes. They seemed to be asleep. (b) —— I am sure that (c) —— any one of them could get at me it would have smashed my bones by coiling itself round. The sight of the snakes makes my blood creep. Then I was glad to go away from them (d) —— I turned my eyes from them at a porcupine. It had long quills sticking out. I then saw some deer (e) —— beautiful eyes attracted me.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
the traveller said can you tell me the way to the nearest inn yes said the peasant do you want one in which you can spend the night no replied the traveller i only want a meal
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) our; (b) and; (c) in; (d) at; (e) that; (f) with; (g) take; (h) this; (i) will; (j) may.
2. (a) built; (b) of; (c) the; (d) a; (e) working; (f) hospital; (g) beautiful/magnificent; (h) easily; (i) in; (j) into.
3. (i) Every nation must have some glorious days.
(ii) Our nation has also some glorious and memorable days.
(iii) These days are 21st February, 26th March, 16th December.
(iv) These days are observed every year with due solemnity.
(v) The 16th December is a glorious day for the people of Bangladesh.
4. (a) reigns; (b) prevail; (c) are; (d) preaching; (e) respected; (f) feel; (g) cannot prosper; (h) triumph; (i) understand; (j) stopped.
5. The other foxes said that Mr. Fox was very clever. They wondered what he was going to tell them. Addressing them as friends Mr. Fox told them to listen to him. He said that he had made a discovery. Then he asked them if they wanted to know about that. The other foxes replied in the affirmative and said that they of course wanted to know about that. They asked him what the discovery was.
6. (a) Very few conquerors of the world were as great as Taimur.
(b) The province of a powerful prince was once attacked by young Taimur.
(c) Entering the kingdom of the prince, he captured a large village.
(d) The army killed Taimur’s all soldiers.
(e) He disguised himself as a poor traveller so that he could survive.
(f) He came to a house and asked for something to eat.
(g) There lived a woman in the house who was old.
(h) The woman saw Taimur and became sympathetic to him.
(i) How hot the food was!
(j) Taimur was very hungry and so he could not wait.
7. (a) As flower is a symbol of love, beauty and purity, it is liked by all.
(b) There is hardly any person who does not love flowers.
(c) We can turn our enemies into friends if we give them flowers.
(d) It is said that those who do not love flowers can kill a person easily.
(e) Many people cultivate flowers because they are a source of income nowadays.
8. (a) beautifully; (b) musician; (c) beardless; (d) originally; (e) unthinkable; (f) thankful; (g) foretellers; (h) unmindful; (i) unaware; (j) joyous.
9. (a) Time is very valuable. So, don’t waste time, will you?
(b) Abdullah and Nafisa are honest. Neither of them tells a lie, do they?
(c) Mother said to me, “You need not go to market, need you?”
(d) I have got a family. I am really happy in my family, aren’t/ain’t I?
(e) ‘I’ is a pronoun, isn’t it?
10. (a) which; (b) Though; (c) if; (d) as; (e) whose.
11. The traveller said, “Can you tell me the way to the nearest inn?” “Yes”, said the peasant. “Do you want one in which you can spend the night?” “No”, replied the traveller, “I only want a meal.”