SSC English 2nd Paper Model-62 With Solutions
MODEL QUESTION 62
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Water is (a) —— important element of (b) —— environment. Water is essential (c) —— human, animal and plant life. Clean water is safe for use. But (d) —— water is harmful. Water can be polluted (e) —— many ways. Men pollute water (f) —— throwing wastes (g) —— it. Farmers use chemical fertilizers in their (h) ——. Being mixed with (i) —— water of (j) —— rivers and canals, they pollute it.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5Í10=5
Lake Victoria is one of the African (a) —— Lakes. John Hanning Speke was the first European (b) —— who named it after the name of Queen Victoria. (c) —— achieved this tremendous accomplishment in 1858. He was (d) —— on a separate expedition (e) —— Richard Francis Burton. They (f) —— to discover the source of the Nile (g) ——. The lake contains a gigantic area of 68,800 (h) —— kilometers. It is the largest tropical lake in the (i) ——. It contains about 2,750 cubic kilometers (j) —— fresh water.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Character||the combination of virtues some|
|It||means||the crown of life|
|Character of person||be||a man without character|
|It also||hates||mental or moral nature|
|Everybody||mental or moral qualities of a person, a community, a race, etc.|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5Í10=5
Everybody (a) —— that food adulteration (b) —— a crime. Adulterated food is poisonous and (c) —— fatal diseases. People (d) —— this kind of food (e) —— a victim to liver diseases, cancer, kedney failure and so on. Some businessmen who are avaricious and (f) —— after money only (g) —— this heinous work. They (h) —— on the miseries of others. They (i) —— severe punishment, some strict measures should be (j) —— to stop this abominable task of the greedy businessmen.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“I’ve got GPA-5 in the SSC examination,” said Rafiq. “Congratulations, brother!” I said. ‘What do you intend to do now?” “I want to study science in a reputed college. I’ve a dream to get admission in Dhaka Medical College after my HSC,” Rafiq replied.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) All men must die. (Negative)
(b) It matters little if a man lives many years or not. (Interrogative)
(c) Our life is not measured by months or years. (Active)
(d) The people who live only for their own interest, are not the real human beings at all. (Compound)
(e) Their life is not better than that of a beast. (Positive)
(f) If we can do something good to the society, we can be immortal. (Simple)
(g) People will always remember those who do something good for the society. (Negative)
(h) It is our own responsibility to do good deeds. (Interrogative)
(i) We cannot live long on the earth. (Affirmative)
(j) Actually no human being can escape death. (Complex)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) AIDS is a fatal disease which ——.
(b) It is such a disease that——.
(c) The first AIDS patient was a man who ——.
(d) The doctors suggest that——.
(e) There is no further remedy that ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
It is (a) — (scientific) — observed that speaking is the second skill of the four. A child is first a (b) — (listen) —. It listens to its mother. Then it becomes a (c) — (speak) .Thus, they both (d) — (change) — their ideas and (e) — (eventual) — the child learns its mother tongue. This is the process which (f) — (initial) — occurs in the case of a mother tongue. But if it is a second language, it cannot be learnt in a (g) — (nature) — way, rather it is learnt in an environment created (h) — (artificial) —. The learners have to practise the language (i) — (method) — based on the four skills. The (j) — (create) — of this environment is not easy and we cannot practise listening.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) What a brilliant result you have made, ——?
(b) We feel proud of you,——?
(c) Thanks Amir. All credits go to my parents and teachers, ——?
(d) I am very grateful to them, ——?
(e) Right you are. We ought to remain ever grateful to them, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
As a human being, man has a lot of duties to mankind. To perform his duty, he has to select a profession, future career. I have also selected my future career (a) —— I can reach my goal. There are varieties of careers (b) —— can give riches and name and fame. (c) —— I have selected a simple one. It is teaching. (d) —— teachers are the builders of the nation, they can reform the society (e) —— lead the nation skillfully.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
he said to the shoe maker you are a big blockhead you have done the reverse of what i desired you i told you to make one of the shoes larger than the other and instead of that you have made one of them smaller than the other
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) an; (b) the; (c) for; (d) polluted; (e) in; (f) by; (g) into; (h) fields; (i) the; (j) the.
2. (a) greatest/largest; (b) explorer; (c) He; (d) moving/working/going; (e) with; (f) desired/ tried; (g) river; (h) square; (i) world; (j) of.
3. (a) Character is the crown of life.
(b) It means mental or moral nature.
(c) Character of a person is the combination of some virtues.
(d) It also means the mental or moral qualities of a person, a community, a race, etc.
(e) Everybody hates a man without character.
4. (a) knows; (b) is; (c) causes; (d) eating; (e) fall; (f) run; (g) do; (h) thrive; (i) deserve; (j) taken.
5. My brother Rafiq said that he had got GPA-5 in the SSC examination. I congratulated my brother. I asked him what he intended to do then. Rafiq replied that he wanted to study science in a reputed college and added that he had a dream to get admission in Dhaka Medical College after his HSC.
6. (a) All men cannot but die.
(b) Doesn’t it matter if a man lives many years or not?
(c) We do not measure our lives by months or years.
(d) Some people live only for their own interest and they are not real human beings.
(e) The life of a beast is as good as their life./ Their life is as good as the life of a beast.
(f) By doing something good to the society, we can be immortal.
(g) People will never forget those who do something good for the society.
(h) Isn’t it our own responsibility to do good deeds?
(i) We live short on the earth.
(j) Actually there is no human being who can escape death.
7. (a) AIDS is a fatal disease which was first detected in Africa.
(b) It is such a disease that is not curable.
(c) The first AIDS patient was a man who was an African.
(d) The doctors suggest that we should maintain religious practice.
(e) There is no further remedy that can save AIDS affected people.
8. (a) scientifically; (b) listener; (c) speaker; (d) exchange; (e) eventually; (f) initially; (g) natural; (h) artificially; (i) methodically; (j) creation.
9. (a) What a brilliant result you have made, haven’t you?
(b) We feel proud of you, don’t we?
(c) Thanks Amir, All credits go to my parents and teachers, don’t they?
(d) I am very grateful to them, aren’t I?
(e) Right you are. We ought to remain ever grateful to them, oughtn’t we?
10. (a) so that; (b) which; (c) But; (d) As; (e) and/to.
11. He said to the shoe-maker, “You are a big blockhead. You have done the reverse of what I desired you. I told you to make one of the shoes larger than the other and instead of that, you have made one of them smaller than the other.