MODEL QUESTION 3
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Happiness is (a) —— relative term. A person (b) —— a crown, living in palace may not be happy (c) —— a day labourer may (d) —— happiness living (e) —— a shabby hut. Again happiness (f) —— from person to person. A beggar may be happy (g) —— a coin. A businessman may be happy getting millions (h) —— money. But (i) —— happiness or ; peace of mind is (j) —— blessing of Allah.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
The Olympic Games were named (a) —— the town of Olympia in Greece. It was in Olympia that the games were first held (b) —— the Christian era began. In those days Greece was divided (c) —— many cities and men of different cities (d) —— to fight with one another most of the time. (e) ——man named Iphitps became concerned about such wasteful strife. He hit (f) —— a plan. He invited (g) —— best athletes from the nearby cities to the valley of Olympia to (h)—— athletic contests. Iphito’s plan worked (i) ——. For a time the Greek warriors, instead of (j) —— their neighbours, tried to outdo their rivals in friendly games and sports.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Drug addiction||Is||strong attraction for any harmful thing.|
|Drugs||has||not only a national but also a global problem|
|The drugs||means||used for intoxicating and stimulating effects.|
|Addiction||are||grasped the young generation of the country.|
|taken dy smoking or through injection.|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
It is quite long time since I have (a) —— from you. During this period, I did (b) —— to you. Anyway, I will now (c) —— my visit to our National Zoo. On last Friday, I went to our National Zoo by a taxicab at 10 am. At first, I went into the shed in which the monkeys. Before I could get hear them, I could (e) —— their chattering. Then I (f) —— to the shed of the snakes-I was (g) —— to see a big python and a cobra that was (h) ——. Going to the shed of the birds, I saw some birds (i) —— and two parrots (j) —— human voice.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Where are you from?” “Dhaka.” “Why?” “I am looking for a man named Akmal.” “Who is he?” “I don’t know his real identity but he would work with me in a farm.” “Sorry, no man of that name lives here,” the woman said to the stranger.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) A farmer had a wonderful goose. (Complex)
(b) It laid a golden egg everyday. (Interrogative)
(c) The farmer sold the eggs in the market and became rich. (Simple)
(d) The farmer became so greedy to have all the eggs in a day. (Compound)
(e) He killed it and lost his fortune. (Simple) .
(f) He lost his fortune because he was greedy. (Simple)
(g) Day by day his poverty increased. (Interrogative)
(h) At last he realized his mistake and became repentant. (Complex)
(i) A greedy man like him is always unhappy. (Negative)
(j) We should learn the lesson from the story. (Imperative)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) Smoking is a habit which ——.
(b) Many people go on smoking though ——.
(c) —— we will suffer a lot.
(d) People can’t give up smoking easily because ——.
(e) So attempts must be taken by us to ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
We enjoy the benefits of scientific (a) — (invent) —. But, we seldom remember the (b) — (invent) —. Many of them die (c) — (sung) — and (d) — (lamented) —. It is our (e) — (gratitude) —. We (f) — (beauty) — our life with many of their (g) — (achieve) —. But, we (h) — (hard) — think of their (i) — (tire) — efforts to make these inventions. We should be (j) — (thank) — to them.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) There are six seasons in Bangladesh, ——?
(b) Each season has its own features , ——?
(c) We hear new sound in each season, ——?
(d) Everything changes, ——?
(e) People also feel different weather in each season,
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Higher education is needed in our national life, (a) —— now a question has risen (b) —— it is a luxury. (c) —— higher education is not a luxury, but the poorer section of people now think it to be so (d) —— they cannot afford the educational expenses of their children. For the greater interest of the nation the government should (e) —— help the meritorious students so that they can be highly educated.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
janie helped her father roast hot dogs on the campfire first she put a hot dog on a long stick next she held the stick so that the hot dog was just above the fire after a few minutes she turned the hot dog over finally she removed the hot dog from the fire and placed it in a bun
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) a; (b) with; (c) whereas; (d) get; (e) in; (f) varies; (g) getting; (h) of; (i) complete; (j) a.
2. (a) after; (b) before; (c) into; (d) used; (e) A; (f) upon; (g) the; (h) attend; (i) well; (j) attacking.
3. (i) Addiction means strong attraction for any harmful thing.
(ii) Drug addiction is not only a national but also a global problem.
(iii) Drugs are taken by smoking or through injection.
(iv) These drugs are used for intoxicating and stimulating effects.
(v) Drug addiction has grasped the young generation of the country.
4. (a) not heard; (b) not write; (c) describe; (d) were; (e) hear; (f) went; (g) surprised; (h) hissing; (i) twittering; (j) imitating.
5. The woman asked the stranger where he was from. The stranger replied that he (s) was from Dhaka. The woman asked him (s) again why he (s) was there. The stranger replied again that he (s) was looking for a man named Akmal. The woman asked him who he was. The stranger replied that he (s) didn’t know his real identity but he would work with him in a farm. The woman begged pardon and replied in the negative that no man of that name lived there.
6. (a) A farmer had a goose which was wonderful.
(b) Didn’t it lay a golden egg everyday?
(c) Selling the eggs in the market, the farmer became rich.
(d) The farmer became very greedy and wanted to have all the eggs in a day.
(e) Killing it, he lost his fortune.
(f) He lost his fortune because of his being greedy.
(g) Didn’t his poverty increase day by day?
(h) At last when he realized his mistake, he became repentant.
(i) A greedy man like him is never happy.
(j) Let’s learn the lesson from the story.
7. (a) Smoking is a habit which is harmful to health.
(b) Many people go on smoking though they know its harmful consequence.
(c) If we smoke we will suffer a lot.
(d) People can’t give up smoking easily because it becomes an addiction for them.
(e) So attempts must be taken by us to quit smoking.
8. (a) invention; (b) inventor; (c) unsung; (d) unlamented; (e) ingratitude; (f) beautify; (g) achievement; (h) hardly; (i) untiring/tireless; (j) thankful.
9. (a) There are six seasons in Bangladesh, aren’t there?
(b) Each season has its own features, hasn’t it?
(c) We hear new sound in each season, don’t we?
(d) Everything changes, don’t they?
(e) People also feel different weather in each season, don’t they?
10. (a) but; (b) whether; (c) Certainly; (d) as; (e) therefore.
11. Janie helped her father roast hot dogs on the campfire. First, she put a hot dog on a long stick. Next, she held the stick so that the hot dog was just above the fire. After a few minutes, she turned the hot dog over. Finally, she removed the hot dog from the fire and placed it in a bun.