MODEL QUESTION 69
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Patriotism is (a) —— noble virtue. It is an (b) —— instinct in human nature. It inspires a man to shed (c) —— drop of blood to (d) —— the liberty and dignity of the country. But patriotism should not be merely a (e) —— slogan in the public meeting (f) —— fraud the people. It should be remembered in (g) —— core of heart and (h) —— in our deeds. We should keep ourselves above from the fake (i) ——. Everybody should bear in mind that a pretender (j) —— be defeated. Nobody will remember or honour a mock patriot.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5Í10=5
Students should (a) —— the rules of health. They should rise (b) —— bed early in the morning and go out for (c) —— walk. Besides, they should have to perform all these things which are necessary for (d) —— preservation of health. They should take part (e) —— sports and games regularly. They are essential (f) —— their physical and (g) —— health. They should also follow (h) —— rules (i) —— cleanliness because it is as (j) —— as physical exercise.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Education||is||no access to them.|
|The illiterate person||fail||to choose between right and wrong.|
|The majority of our people||has||like light.|
|They||are||backward without education.|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5Í10=5
Diligence (a) —— useful labour. A man who (b) —— hard to have something (c) —— to be diligent or industrious. Nothing can be (d) —— without industry. “Fortune (e) —— the industrious,” (f) —— a saying. It means that fortune (g) —— to those who(h) ——laborious. We all desire for wealth. But it (i) —— not without proper labour. He who (j) —— hard in a proper way can achieve his desired thing.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
Once a rich banker said to a poor cobbler, “How much do you earn a year?” The cobbler replied laughing, “I never count in this way. I earn barely enough to pass a day. And I’m happy.” “Are you really happy?” said the banker.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Man is the most intelligent creation. (Positive)
(b) He uses time intelligently. (Negative)
(c) He has to make division of time to do his work properly. (Complex)
(d) If he works sincerely, he can succeed in life. (Compound)
(e) An active man always uses his time for a productive purpose. (Negative)
(f) To him time is money. (Complex)
(g) He knows that time once gone is gone forever. (Simple)
(h) He cares for none in using his time. (Voice)
(i) Since time does not wait for us, we should not waste away it. (Compound)
(j) A time killer has to repent in the long run. (Complex)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) —— if you had tried hard.
(b) This is the sum ——.
(c) We watched the ship ——.
(d) By observing the rules of health,
(e) The pilot told the passengers ——
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Money cannot buy (a) — (happy) —. Money is (b) — (obvious) — necessary for our life. But it is not the thing that (c) — (necessary) — brings happiness. Happiness is (d) — (absolute) psychological thing. Basically, it is the name of a (e) — (feel). It lies in the (f) — (content) — of mind. A poor man with mental (g) — (satisfy) — may become really happy in life. On the other hand a man with a lot of (h) — (rich) — may not be happy. Their wealth becomes the cause of (i) — (happy) — because most of the time that suffer from (j) — (secure) —. So, they lead a life full of cares and anxieties.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Little daughter asks her mother why man eats. In reply, she, said, “Man eats to live, ——?
(b) Shafiqur Rahman is a happy man with his one son and one daughter. He says to his wife, “Everybody wants to be happy, ——?
(c) Shahela wants to know about the Grameen Bank from the manager. The manager said, “Grameen Bank provides loan to the poor only, ——?
(d) If you observe a good teacher, you will see him in motion, ——?
(e) Trees play an important role in maintaining ecological balance. Trees produce oxygen and take in carbon dioxide, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Summer noon is very painful and disgusting.(a) ——the sun shines hotly over head, life becomes miserable. The suffering of the people know no bounds (b) —— the electricity goes off. (c) —— the people use hand fans to fan themselves. Children can neither sleep (d) —— read. They feel out of sorts. (e) —— the poor suffer most. They work outside in the burning sun.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
what is it mamma i did not want this black thing and the terrible smell nor did i my dear but what shall i do with it that i can’t tell okay mamma i must pour it out and fill the jar with fresh water
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) a; (b) inherent; (c) every; (d) defend; (e) so-called; (f) to; (g) the; (h) materialized; (i) patriotism ; (j) must.
2. (a) follow; (b) from; (c) morning; (d)the; (e) in; (f) for; (g) mental; (h) the; (i) of (j) important.
3. (a) Education illuminates like light.
(b) The illiterate person has no access to them.
(c) The majority of our people are still illiterate.
(d) They fail to choose between right and wrong.
(e) The illiterate person is backward without education.
4. (a) means; (b) works; (c) is said; (d) gained/achieved; (e) favours; (f) goes; (g) comes; (h) are; (i) can not be gained; (j) works.
5. Once a rich banker asked a poor cobbler how much he earned a year. The cobbler replied laughing that he never counted in that way. He also added that he earned barley enough to pass a day. And again he added that he was happy. The banker asked if he was really happy.
6. (a) No other creation is as intelligent as man.
(b) He doesn’t use time unwisely.
(c) He has to make division of time so that he can do his work properly.
(d) He works sincerely and succeeds in life.
(e) An active man never uses his time for an unproductive purpose.
(f) To him, it is time which is money.
(g) Time once gone is gone forever is known to him.
(h) None is cared for by him in using his time.
Or, None is cared for in using his time by him.
(i) Time does not wait for us and so we should not waste away it.
(j) A man who kills time has to repent in the long run.
7. (a) You would have become successful if you had tried hard.
(b) This is the sum which is very difficult.
(c) We watched the ship coming towards the harbour.
(d) By observing the rules of health, we can maintain good health.
(e) The pilot told the passengers that he was going to land the plane.
8. (a) happiness; (b) obviously; (c) necessarily; (d) absolutely; (e) feeling; (f) contentment; (g) satisfaction; (h) riches; (i) unhappiness; (j) insecurity.
9. (a) Little daughter asks her mother why man eats. In reply, she said, “Man eats to live, doesn’t he?”
(b) Shafiqur Rahman is a happy man with his one son and one daughter. He says to his wife, “Everybody wants to be happy, don’t they?”
(c) Shahela wants to know about the Grameen Bank from the manager. The manager said, “Grameen Bank provides loan to the poor only, doesn’t it?”
(d) If you observe a good teacher, you will see him in motion, won’t you?
(e) Trees play an important role in maintaining ecological balance. Trees produce oxygen and take in carbon dioxide, don’t they?
10. (a) While/If/When; (b) if ; (c) And; (d) nor; (e) But.
11. “What is it, mamma? I did not want this black thing and the terrible smell.” “Nor did I, my dear.” “But what shall I do with it?” “That I can’t tell.” “Okay, mamma. I must pour it out and fill the jar with fresh water.”