SSC English 2nd Paper Model-46 With Solutions
MODEL QUESTION 46
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Freedom fighters are the real (a) —— of our soil. We should recall them as they sacrificed their (b) —— for the motherland. It is (c) —— matter of regret that most of them are neglected and (d) —— young generation is unaware (e) —— their valiant struggle. (f) —— today many of them are not found (g) ——. Some of them are found leading a (h) —— life. They are going unnoticed (i) —— they should be rewarded (j) —— the highest honour of the state.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
The (a) —— way of study involves regular and proper understanding. In order to (b) —— the best benefit from study, we should read attentively and intelligently. We (c) —— not study only for (d) —— purpose of passing examinations. We should take (e) —— interest (f) ——our studies so that we can enjoy what we learn. This will give us knowledge and (g) ——and broaden (h) —— horizon of our outlook. We should, therefore, (i) —— not for immediate (j) —— but for improving the wealth of our mind.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|At first our team||began||much stronger than ours, we were a bit anxious|
|We||won||to be weaker and rhythmless|
|As the opponent||was||if all of our players could play their best, it would not be impossible to defeat them|
|But we||seemed||the toss and decided to take the northern side of the field|
|But after a few minutes our players||knew||to show their excellent performance|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
In order to solve the problem of (a) —— in the examination, the government has (b) —— some preventive measures. First of all, the government (c) —— to raise public awareness. Recently the government has (d) —— a law that if any student is (e) —— copying in the examination hall, he/she will be (f) —— from the hall. If any invigilator is found (g) —— any examinee, legal action will be taken against him/her. Even if outsiders are found (h) —— in helping any examinee in copying, they will also be (i) ——. Moreover, the government has (j) —— examination centers and formed invigilators team to monitor the overall condition of the examination centres.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
The man said to the manager, “May I come in, sir?” “Yes, come in” “What do you want?” said the manager. “I want to open a bank account in your bank,” said the man. “Can you tell me how I can open a current account?”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Health is wealth (Make complex sentence).
(b) A healthy poor man is happier than a sick moneyed man (Use positive degree).
(c) Though a healthy man is an asset to his family, an unhealthy man is a liability (Make compound sentence).
(d) He can succeed in life (Make interrogative sentence).
(e) So, everybody cannot but be conscious of his health (Make affirmative sentence).
(f) Everybody must care of his health all the time. (Make negative sentence).
(g) Health can be improved by regular physical exercise and a balanced diet. (Use active voice)
(h) The people who are poor cannot afford to take a balanced diet. (Make simple sentence).
(i) They are very concerned with the quantity of food (Make exclamatory).
(j) Everybody should know it that malnutrition causes weakness. (Use passive voice).
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) Man considers books to —— in life.
(b) You may not get good friends to be in your side when——.
(c) But there are books that are always ready ——.
(d) Books are thought to be your real friends as long as ——.
(e) —— we have to read more and more books.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Íl0=5
Discipline is essential in every sphere of our life. It breaks down if there is (a) — (discipline) —. Student should form the habit of (b) — (obey) —. (c) — (disobey) — brings about chaos that results in (d) — (fail) — and (e) — (down) — everywhere. Students should be (f) — (courage) — to gain (g) — (prosper) — in life. A family cannot have a (h) — (peace) — environment without discipline. (i) — (similar) —, a country cannot attain (j) — (develop) — without it.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) The creator is second to none, ——?
(b) The Jury gave its verdict today, ——?
(c) What he says may be true, ——?
(d) One should take care of one’s health, ——?
(e) Who dares to disobey the law,——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
The fate of a man depends on his own self. (a) —— he makes the right use of time, he will succeed in life. (b) —— he will fail and suffer miseries. (c) —— , life is made up of moments, (d) —— to waste these moments is to waste the whole life. The habit of making this right use of time should be formed in youth (e) —— the mind is soft and tender.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
said an old crab to young one why do you walk so crooked child walk straight mother said the young crab show me the way will you
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) heroes; (b) lives; (c) a; (d) the; (e) of; (f) Yet; (g) out; (h) miserable; (i) whereas; (j) with.
2. (a) proper; (b) get; (c) do; (d) the; (e) real; (f) in; (g) pleasure; (h) the; (i) study; (j) gains.
3. (a) As the opponent was much stronger than ours, we were a bit anxious.
(b) But we knew if all of our players could play their best, it would not be impossible to defeat them.
(c) We won the toss and decided to take the northern side of the field.
(d) At first our team seemed to be weaker and rhythmless.
(e) But after a few minutes our players began to show their excellent performance.
4. (a) copying: (b) taken; (c) is trying; (d) announced/declared; (e) found; (f) expelled; (g) helping: (h) involved: (i) punished; (j) changed.
5. The man politely asked the manager if he (man) might go in. The manager replied in the affirmative and told him (man) to go in. He (manager) asked him what he (man) wanted. The man told him that he (man) wanted to open a bank account in his (manager) bank. He (man) asked again if he (manager) could tell him (man) how he (man) could open a current account.
6. (a) It is health which is wealth.
(b) A sick moneyed man is not as happy as a healthy poor man.
(c) A health man is an asset to his family but an unhealthy man is liability.
(d) Can’t he succeed in life?
(e) So, everybody must be conscious of his health.
(f) Everybody cannot but take/cannot help taking care of his health all the time.
(g) We/man can improve health by regular physical exercise and a balanced diet.
(h) The poor people cannot afford to take a balance diet.
(i) How concerned they are with the quantity of food.
(j) It should be known to everybody that malnutrition causes weakness.
7. (a) Man considers books to be the best companions in life.
(b) You may not get good friends to be in your side when you need them.
(c) But there are books that are always ready to be at your side.
(d) Books are thought to be your real friends as long as you love them.
(e) To satisfy our thirst for knowledge we have to read more and more books.
8. (a) indiscipline; (b) obedience; (c) Disobedience; (d) failure; (e) downfall; (f) courageous/ encouraged; (g) prosperity; (h) peaceful; (i) Similarly; (j) development.
9. (a) The Creator is second to none, is He?
(b) The Jury gave its verdict today, didn’t it?
(c) What he says, may be true, mayn’t it?
(d) One should take care of one’s health, shouldn’t they?
(e) Who dares to disobey the law, do they?
10. (a) If; (b) Otherwise; (c) Moreover; (d) and; (e) when.
11. Said an old crab to young one, “Why do you walk so crooked, child? Walk straight.” “Mother,” said the young crab, “Show me the way, will you?”