[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section A: Grammar (Marks-30)
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Rasul : What are you reading, Mostofa?
Mostofa : I’m reading about (a) —— Wright brothers.
Rasul : Who are they?
Mostofa : You don’t know. They are (b) —— first to make experiment of flying in (c) —— plane.
Rasul : Really? When was it?
Mostofa : December 17, 1903.
Rasul : What are Boeing and Airbus?
Mostofa : These are modern passenger airplanes.
Rasul : Oh, I see.
Mostofa : Have you heard about (e) —— Concorde?
Rasul : No, Is it (f)——aircraft?
Mostofa : Yes, It’s (g) —— world’s supersonic passenger aircraft.
Rasul : What’s its speed?
Mostofa : 2,170 km/h.
Rasul : Thanks (h) —— lot.
Mostofa : Welcome.
2. Maruf is writing a letter to his friend describing the historical Shat Gambuj Mosque. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|about||to × 2||of × 3||in||by|
My dear Hasib,
Your letter is just (a) —— hand. In your last letter, you wanted to know about my recent visit (b) —— the historical Shat Gambuj Mosque. Here is a short description (c) —— it.
It was the last summer vacation. I got an opportunity. We, some friends decided to visit Bagerhat, a historical place. We went to Bagerhat (d) —— bus. It took eight hours to reach there. We stayed there one day. Bagerhat is a great historical place.
There, we saw many things related (e) —— history. We saw the Mazar (f) —— Khan Jahan Ali, the famous saint, the Dighi (g) —— Khan Jahan Ali, the Ghora Dighi and many other things. The Shat Gambuj Mosque is a World Heritage Site. Actually whatever I saw I was charmed. But the thing that impressed me much is the Shat Gambuj Mosque. The memory still haunts me. It is a red letter day (h) —— my travel life.
With best regards and love to you.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 ×10 = 5
My dear Moznu,
I got your letter yesterday. In it you wanted to know all about my experiences that I gathered from my (a) —— to Dhaka. Well, here it is:
You know that I was (b) —— and brought up in Rajshahi. So, I had a desire to visit Dhaka, the (c) —— city of Bangladesh. In the last summer vacation, I got an opportunity for (d) —— to Dhaka with my father. Dhaka is an (e) —— city but there are many interesting places. Of them I visited Ahsan Monjil. Sador ghat, Lalbagh Fort, Bara Katara, Chhoto Katara. Hussaini Dalan etc. These are of great (f) —— importance. In new Dhaka. I saw (g) —— big and beautiful (h) —— buildings. I also visited Songsad Bhaban, National (i) ——, Shishu Park, Dhaka Stadium, Mirpur Zoo and Botanical Garden and etc. These are important places of Dhaka city. This visit gave me (j) —— pleasure.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|21st February||is||to observe the day at the Shaheed Minar.|
|This day||goes||kept half flying.|
|Everyone||declared the International Mother Language Day.|
|The National Flag||also called Shaheed Dibosh.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) The crow is the most common of all birds in Bangladesh. (Use comparatgive degree) (b) It is ugly to look at. (Make it negative) Two kinds of crow are usually seen— the raven and the carrion. (c) The raven is bigger than the carrion. (Use positive degree) But the carrion is more common than the raven. The crow is of some use to us. (d) It keeps the environment clean (Make it passive). It is very clever and greedy. Its voice is harsh. It is ugly and wicked. (e) Nobody likes it. (Make it interrogative). But they do good to us.
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question f has special instruction in the bracket for the use of verb. 0.5 × 8 = 4
What are you (a)― (do) now? Are you (b)― (waste) your time in vain? You must (c)― (realize) that time (d)― (be) a major factor in (e)― (build) up a successful career. So you (f)― (‘should waste’ in the negative) your valuable time in vain. You should bear in mind that time and tide (g)― (wait) for none. Ok, if you are totally free now, you may (h)― (come) to me in Dhaka. Best wishes.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
ms tamanna mahamud the class teacher has just entered the classroom she is now talking to the students why is the classroom so dirty asked in Tamanna.
Model Question-12 Solution
1. (a) the; (b) the; (c) a; (d) the; (e) x; (f) an; (g) the; (h) a.
2. (a) to; (b) of; (c) about; (d) by; (e) to; (f) of; (g) of; (h) in.
3. (a) visit; (b) born; (c) capital; (d) going; (e) old; (f) historical; (g) many; (h) modern; (i) Museum; (j) great.
4. (i) 21st February is declared the International Mother Language Day.
(ii) This day is also called Shaheed Dibosh.
(iii) Everyone goes to observe the day at the Shaheed Minar.
(iv) The National Flag is kept half flying.
5. (a) The crow is more common than other birds in Bangladesh.
(b) It is not beautiful to look at.
(c) The carrion is not so big as the raven.
(d) The environment is kept clean by it.
(e) Who likes it?
6. (a) doing; (b) wasting; (c) realize; (d) is; (e) building; (f) should not waste; (g) wait; (h) come.
7. Ms Tamanna Mahamud, the class teacher has just entered the classroom. She is now talking to the students. “Why is the classroom so dirty?” asked Ms Tamanna.