Section: Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Student : Sir, I want (a) — transfer certificate.
Headmaster : Transfer certificate! Why?
Student : Sir, my father has been transferred to (b) — Comilla.
Headmaster : Oh, I see. But can’t you remain here for (c) — rest of the session? You will be provided with all (d) — facilities in (e) — hostel.
Student : Sorry, sir. My parents want me to stay with them.
Headmaster : Well, then you must have (f) — transfer certificate. Where’s (g) — your petition?
Student : Here it is, sir.
Headmaster : Now contact (h) — office super.
Student : Thank you, sir.
Headmaster : Thank you, my boy.
2. Sumon is writing a letter to his friend Emon to spend the holidays with him in the village home. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|in x2||to × 4||on||beside|
I know that your examination is over. My final examination also ended (a) — Sunday last. Now we both are enjoying our winter holidays. I have decided (b) — spend my holidays (c) — our village home. It is a very nice place. There is a river (d) — the village. So far I know, you have never gone (e) — a village. You will get pleasure spending your time there. If you like (f) — go there, please contact me soon. I hope you will pass your holidays happily (g) — the village.
No more today. With best regards (h) — your parents.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
You wanted to know about the difference between the bus journey and train journey. We travel from one place to (a) — by bus and (b) — train. Travelling by bus is quicker than travelling by train. Buses run (c) — . If we miss a (d) — we can take another an hour or so later. On the other (e) — , if we miss a train, we have to (f) — until the next day. Trains stop only for a (g) — minutes at stations to set down passengers and to take up new ones. There are toilet facilities on the train. There are (h) — dining place where the passengers can have their meals. Trains are (i) — overcrowded. Trains stop (j) — for half an hour.
With best wishes,
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Drug addiction||is||not only a national but also a global problem.|
|Addiction||are||taking heroin, opium etc.|
|Some of these||means||strong attraction for any harmful thing.|
|taken by smoking or through injection.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
Health is wealth. (a) A healthy poor man is happier than a sick moneyed man (Make it positive). (b) A healthy man is an asset to his family (Make it interrogative). (c) An unhealthy man is a liability (Make it negative). (d) Can’t he succeed in life? (Make it affirmative). (e) Everybody must be conscious of health (Make it negative).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. Question d and h have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
There was a dishonest man in a village who (a) — (do) all sorts of mischief to the villagers. But when he (b) — (do) any evil work, he (c) — (say) that God had done it by him. One night the man (d) — (‘steal’ use past continuous) some mangoes from the garden of his neighbour. The owner of the garden (e) — (see) him stealing mangoes and (f) — (hurry) to the garden. Having (g) — (reach) the garden he took a stick and continued (h) — (‘beat’ use present participle) the dishonest man.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
sabina said to alam Happy birthday to you. you are looking very smart. thanks for your appreciation.” said alam,” where is Manika? won’t she come?” sorry, she has gone to hospital with her mother.” she replied. “But, why?” he asked. “She fell on the road and lost sense said Sabina.
Model Question-18 Solution
1. (a) a ; (b) ´ ; (c) the ; (d) the ; (e) the ; (f) a ; (g) ´ ; (h) the.
2. (a) on; (b) to; (c) in; (d) beside; (e) to; (f) to; (g) in; (h) to.
3. (a) another; (b) by; (c) frequently; (d) bus; (e) hand; (f) wait; (g) few; (h) also;
(i) usually; (j) sometimes.
4. (i) Drug addiction is not only a national but also a global problem.
(ii) Addiction means strong attraction for any harmful thing.
(iii) Some of these are taking heroin, opium, etc.
(iv) Some of these are taken by smoking or through injection.
5. (a) A sick moneyed man is not so happy as a healthy poor man.
(b) Isn’t a healthy man an asset to his family?
(c) An unhealthy man is not an asset.
(d) He can succeed in life.
(e) Everybody cannot but be conscious of health.
6. (a) did ; (b) did ; (c) said ; (d) was stealing ; (e) saw ; (f) hurried ; (g) reached ; (h) beating.
7. Sabina said to Alam, “Happy birthday to you. You are looking very smart.” “Thanks for your appreciation.” said Alam.”Where is Manika? Won’t she come?” “Sorry, she has gone to hospital with her mother.” She replied. “But, why?” he asked. “She fell on the road and lost sense”, said Sabina.