Section—A : Grammar (30 Marks)
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Alif : Hi Rifat, you look very tired. Are you sick?
Rifat : Yes. I’ve been suffering from severe headache for (a)― few days.
Alif : (b) ― Air pollution is responsible for these. Nowadays polluted air causes (c)― incurable diseases.
Rifat : You’re right. I can’t go out for (d)― walk for this.
Alif : You know it’s one of (e)― causes of air pollution of (f)― our environment.
Rifat : Exactly so, smoke is (g)― major pollutant of air.
Alif : Overpopulation is (h)― another cause of air pollution in our country.
2. Anjali is writing to her friend about her village. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|in × 2||from × 2||during||about × 2||by|
I come (a)― a village. The name of my village is Ratgaon, about twelve kilometres north of Kulaura. It is (b)― Moulvibazar district. Its total area is (c)― six square kilometres. It is a big village and half of its area is occupied (d)― forests. There are (e) ― two thousand people living in this village. Most of the people (f)― the village are farmers. There are teachers, government and non-government employees and a few businessmen. We can go (g)― one place to another by rickshaw or by car (h)― the dry season when there is no rainfall.
I stop here today. Please try to visit my village.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear Mizan,
You know (a)― I am in the habit of taking tea five times a day. But most of the time, I don’t take tea at home. I (b)― to the tea stall. Ready tea with some dry foods is (c)― to the customers there. You will (d) ― tea stalls in market places, at railway (e)―, bus (f) ―, launch ghats, etc. A tea stall is furnished with a few tables, chairs (g) ― long benches. However, you can go to tea stall to (h)― tea. I think you will (i) — a lot. But taking tea too much is (j) — to health. So, of course, I will try to take tea two times a day.
Best wishes to you. Convey my regards to your parents.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|gives||brought the world in our rooms.|
|It||is||a great invention of science.|
|Television||was||invented by John Logy from England.|
|has||us news and views.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
a) Time and tide wait for none (Interrogative) b) Lost time can never be regained. (Active) c) So, everybody should make good use of time. (Imperative) d) Time is valuable. (Negative) e) Even lower animals know the value of time (Interrogative)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verbs in the brackets. Questions a and c have special intructions in the bracket for the use of verbs. 0×5 × 8 = 4
A fool (a)— (‘sit’ in the past continuous) by the side of a village road. He was (b) — (dig) holes in some places. Now it happened that a king’s minister (c) — (“Pass” in the continuous) by that way. He asked, “Why d) — (be) you digging holes here?” The fool (e) — (begin) to laugh. The minister asked, “Why are you laughing?” The fool replied, “Why do people with eyes (f) — (stumble), though there is no holes? Perhaps if there (g) — (be) some holes they will not stumble anymore. What do you (h) — (think)?”
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0×5 × 8 = 4 prophet david was a smith and a king he was the father of great king Solomon he is called hazrat solaiman (A) by the muslims they both were pious generous, kind and just.
Model Question-22 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) ´; (c) ´; (d) a; (e) the; (f) ´; (g) a; (h) ´.
2. (a) from; (b) in; (c) about; (d) by; (e) about; (f) in; (g) from; (h) during.
3. (a) that; (b) go; (c) served; (d) find; (e) stations; (f) stands; (g) or; (h) take; (i) enjoy; (j) harmful.
4. (i) Television is a great invention of science.
(ii) It was invented by John Logy from England.
(iii) It has brought the world in our rooms.
(iv) It gives us news and views.
5. (a) Don’t time and tide wait for anyone?
(b) Lost time never regains.
(c) So, make good use of time.
(d) Time is not invaluable.
(e) Don’t even lower animals know the value of time?
6. (a) was sitting; (b) digging; (c) was passing; (d) are; (e) began; (f) stumble; (g) are; (h) think.
7. Prophet David was a smith and a king. He was the father of great king Soloman. He is called Hazrat Solaiman (A) by the Muslims. They both were pious, generous, kind and just.