[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks.]
Section A : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a an or the and put a cross (x) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
(a) — idle man and (b) — active man cannot be equal. We know (c) — story of an ant and a grasshopper. (d) — ant was industrious. On the other hand, (e) — grasshopper was really lazy. (f) — ant knew that (g) — industrious shine. On the contrary (h) — lazy suffer in the long run.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
I was looking forward (a) — hearing from you (b) — much eagerness. It is, somehow, forgivable but the news (c) — your being a smoker struck me like a bolt (d) — the blue. It is (e) — my imagination that a talented student like you can smoke. It is not unknown to you that smoking (f) — a long time can cause various diseases, So, I advise you to give (g) — smoking as early as possible. And be serious (h) — your study from now on.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Nazrul Islam was a (a) — boy. He was a (b) — poet. He (c) — a great singer as well. He wrote (d) — essays and novels. He wrote many poems (e) — stories for the (f) —. He wrote many (g) — poems and songs. He was sent to (h) — by the British Government for this. He (i) — a lot there (j) — his pen did not stop.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|One night Hazrat Omar (R)||heard||from a poor hut.|
|Suddenly he||went||near the hut.|
|The sound||was walking||the sound of a cry.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Man is the best of all creatures. (Positive) Man is superior to any other creature in the universe. (b) He is superior to all because of his intellect. (Interrogative) (c) The Creator has blessed him with conscience to differentiate the right path from the wrong one. (Passive) (d) Though he has intellect and conscience, he sometimes can do wrong (Negative). (e) Men are being persecuted by men every moment and everywhere in the world. (Active)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verbs in the brackets. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Meena (a) — (come) to (b) — (know) from her grandmother that Aladin (c) — (possess) a magic lamp by which he (d) — (get) his desires (e) — (fulfil). (f) — (hear) this Meena also (g) — (wish) for Aladin’s magic lamp. One day in her dream Meena (h) — (get) Aladin’s magic lamp.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Its Saturday amal’s school is open but friday and Saturday are father’s weekly holidays Father sometimes loves to cook special dishes for everybody on Saturdays Its 2 o’clock its time for amal to come back from school. Mother is setting the table.
Model Question-30 Solution
1. (a) An; (b) an; (c) the; (d) The; (e) the; (f) The; (g) the; (h) the.
2. (a) to; (b) with; (c) of; (d) from; (e) beyond; (f) for; (g) up; (h) in.
3. (a) tender; (b) great; (c) became; (d) many; (e) and; (f) children; (g) patriotic; (h) jail; (i) suffered; (j) but.
4. One night Hazrat Omar (R) was walking alone. Suddenly he heard the sound of cry. The sound was coming from a poor hut. He went near the hut.
5. (a) No other creature is so good as man.
(b) Isn’t he superior to all because of his intellect?
(c) He has been blessed with conscience to differentiate the right path from the wrong one.
(d) Though he has intellect and conscience, he sometimes cannot but do wrong.
(e) Men are persecuting men every moment and everywhere in the world.
6. (a) comes; (b) know; (c) possesses; (d) gets; (e) fulfilled; (f) Hearing; (g) wishes; (h) gets.
7. It’s Saturday. Amal’s school is open. But Friday and Saturday are father’s weekly holidays. Father sometimes loves to cook special dishes for everybody on Saturdays. It’s 2 o’clock. It’s time for Amal to come back from school. Mother is setting the table.