Section—A : Grammar (30 Marks)
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Himon: Yes. Our Headmaster has advised us to say something on (a)― tomorrow’s seminar.
Himu : What is (b)― topic?
Himon: About (c)― illiteracy.
Himu : Well. It is (d)― excellent topic.
Himon: I also think so. Actually, illiteracy means (e)― ignorance and ignorance means darkness.
Himu : So most of (f)― people of our country are in (g) ― darkness. It hampers all of our development activities.
Himon: And we are getting (h)― status of backward country.
2. Malaika, a foreign student is writing to her mother about her visit to Bangladesh. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
I am enjoying my visit (a)― Bangladesh. I have a new experience (b)― life here. In this letter I would like to share my experience and feeling (c)― visiting a Bangladeshi family. My friend Haseen’s mother is a very nice and caring woman. She entertanined me (d)― some pure Bangladeshi foods. At my lunch, I took boiled rice, vegetables and fish. Now, I realize that food habits vary (e)― country to country. Haseen’s family is an extended type. His grandparents live together (f)― the family. Still the family tie is very strong. I was most surprised (g)― the dress his mother was wearing. It is called ‘Saree’, a 16 feet long cloth with various patterns done (h)― it. I am planning to buy one for you, Mom.
I hope to be back soon.
Your loving daughter,
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear Shipul,
Hope you are well. I am also well. You will be very glad to know (a)― my writing is going to be (b)― in our school magazine.
I have written a (c)― story. Now, I am giving you a (d)― of my short story. Once a student was very weak in English. He (e)― again and again in the examination. But one day he (f)― to himself that he was good in all (g)― except English. He at first (h)― out his weakness. Then he (i)― help from the teachers. He took part in the exam (j)― this time he got A+ in English. This is my story. I think this story will influence you also.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Book||may||always ready to be by your side.|
|You||be||your real friends as long as you are alive.|
|But book||men’s best companion in life.|
|They||not get good friends when you need them.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
The flower is an excellent gift of nature. (make it exclamatory) The flower increases the beauty of nature. (make it passive) (c) It also increases the beauty of man. (make it interrogative) (d) We use flowers in various occasions. (make it negative) (e) No other thing in the world is as beautiful as flower. (make it superlative)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0×5 × 8 = 4
The general people of our country (a) — (be in the negative) unaware of sanitation as they were in the past. Gradually, their out look is (b)— (change) —. Now, they (c)— (feel) — the necessity of (d) — (drink) — pure water. In the village, people drink tube well water. They do not drink river water or pond water as they (e) — (do expressing habit) — in the past. They know that boiled water (f) — (contain)— no germs. They also (g) — (use)— some other process in order to (h) — (purify) — water. We expect them to be more aware about public health.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0×5 × 8 = 4
every child has rights to education rights to safety rights to food and nutrition etc. do you think the NGO tries to ensure those rights for the trainees.
Model Question-23 Solution
1. (a) ´; (b) the; (c) ´; (d) an; (e) ´; (f) the; (g) ´; (h) the.
2. (a) to; (b) about; (c) of; (d) with; (e) from; (f) in; (g) by; (h) on.
3. (a) that; (b) published; (c) short; (d) description; (e) failed; (f) thought; (g) subjects;
(h) found; (i) took; (j) and.
4. (i) Book is men’s best companion in life.
(ii) You may not get good friends when you need them.
(iii) But book is always ready to be by your side.
(iv) They are your real friends as long as you are alive.
5. (a) What a gift of nature the flower is!
(b) The beauty of nature is increased by the flower.
(c) Doesn’t it also increase the beauty of man?
(d) We cannot but use flowers in various occasions.
(e) Flower is the most beautiful thing in the world.
6. (a) are not; (b) changing; (c) feel; (d) drinking; (e) used to do; (f) contains; (g) use; (h) purify.
7. Every child has rights to education, rights to safety, rights to food and nutrition etc. Do you think the NGO tries to ensure those rights for the trainees?