Section—A : Grammar (30 Marks)
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Shahed : I have been suffering from (a)― fever for (b)― week.
Doctor : Is there any pain in your body? Had you played in (c)― sun before you feel ill?
Shahed : Yes, I played football in (d)― sun.
Doctor : Have you taken any medicine?
Shahed : I’ve taken only (e)― paracitamol.
Doctor : Ok. Show your tongue. And put this thermometer into your arm pit for (f)― minute.
Shahed : What’s (g)― temperature?
Doctor : 102ºF. Don’t worry. You’ll get relief within (h)― 24 hours if you take these medicines. Here’s your prescription.
2. Sanjida is writing to her friend about what she usually does on holidays. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|to||on × 2||after||of||with||through||by|
You are interested to know what I usually do on holidays. Here I am writing what I do. (a)― these days, I have got some routine tasks which I have to do. But my holidays are quite different from these days. On holidays, I do not usually follow any routine. I wake up (b)― usual time. After I have had breakfast, I go (c)― my books for a short time (d)― prepare my next day’s lesson. Then, I watch TV. I am fond (e)― music too. Sometimes, I listen to songs (f)― my music player. In the afternoon, I often go out (g)― my mother to visit my neighbouring friends. Then, I do my homework given (h)― the teachers. I fully enjoy myself on my holidays.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear Chandan,
Hope you are well. I am also well by the grace of Allah. However, today I will (a)― with you a different thing.
You know a street beggar is a familiar figure in the towns (b) ― cities. A street beggar is normally (c)― beside the street, in the market place or at the (d)― of mosques. He (e)― on dirty and (f)― clothes. Yesterday I (g) ― a beggar on the street while going to school. He (h) ― money from me. I (i)― him five taka. But later I understood (j)― the beggar was a healthy man. We should not give alms to those persons who are not physically handicapped. What’s your opinion? Please, write to me.
No more today.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Our family||am||two brothers and one sister.|
|I||are||of six members.|
|My parents||consists||very kind and sympathetic to us.|
|have||the youngest of them all.|
5. Read the following sentences and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) We are proud of our freedom fighters. (Interrogative)
(b) Their contribution will always be remembered. (Negative)
(c) The common people inspired them. (Interrogative)
(d) Isn’t their sacrifice greater than any other things? (Affirmative)
(e) But today many of them do not lead a comfortable life. (Affirmative)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question e has special instruction in the bracket for the use of verb. 0.5 × 8 = 4
A true friend (a) ― (b) an asset. He (b) ― (stand) by his friend in time of danger. He never (c) ― (betray) with his friend. He (d) ― (try) to make his friend happy. He (e)― (be) in the negative) a greedy man. He always (f)― (wish) for a welfare of his friend. But it is a matter of fact that an ideal friend (g)― (be) very rare today. A selfish friend cannot be a true friend. He always (h)― (think) of his own interest.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
monika passed the ssc exam last year now she is studying in a college. The name of her college is Govt. Agrogami Girls’ High School & College, Sylhet. it is situated at Zindabazar in sylhet.
Model Question-21 Solution
1. (a) ´; (b) a; (c) the; (d) the; (e) ´; (f) a; (g) the; (h) ´.
2. (a) On; (b) after; (c) through; (d) to; (e) of; (f) on; (g) with; (h) by.
3. (a) share; (b) and; (c) seen; (d) gate; (e) puts; (f) torn; (g) found; (h) begged; (i) gave; (j) that.
4. (i) Our family consists of six members.
(ii) I have two brothers and one sister.
(iii) I am the youngest of them all.
(iv) My parents are very kind and sympathetic to us.
5. (a) Aren’t we proud of our freedom fighters?
(b) Their contribution will never be forgotten.
(c) Didn’t the common people inspire them?
(d) Their sacrifice is greater than any other things.
(e) But today many of them lead an uncomfortable life.
6. (a) is; (b) stands; (c) betrays; (d) tries; (e) is not; (f) wishes; (g) is; (h) thinks.
7. Monika passed the SSC exam last year. Now she is studying in a college. The name of her college is Govt. Agrogami Girls’ High School & College, Sylhet. It is situated at Zindabazar in Sylhet.