Section A: Grammar (Marks-30)
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Farid : Habib, how are you?
Habib : I am fine. (a) —— piece of news has delighted me most.
Farid : What is it?
Habib : Malala has won (b) —— Nobel Peace Prize.
Farid : It is really brave. She deserves the Nobel Prize.
Habib : I also think so. The contribution that she has made in (c) —— field of female education is really immense.
Farid : Of course. The bravery that she demonstrates against the Taliban threat is (d) —— appreciable work.
Habib : Actually she has proved that no hindrance can stand against determination.
Farid : Exactly. Pakistan lags far behind in female education owing to some rooted superstition and prejudices of (e) —— patriarchal society.
Habib : I also think so. But Malala’s Nobel Prize will be (f) —— inspiration to (g) —— women in Pakistan and all over the world.
Farid : I really feel (h) —— proud of Malala.
Habib : Me too.
2. Sumonto is writing a letter to his pen friend Tonmoy. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|from||of||into||to||in × 4|
I am happy to receive your letter. In your letter you wanted to know about a village market of Bangladesh. I am writing about it.
A village market is an important place (a) —— the villagers. The villagers buy and sell their daily necessaries (b) —— a village market. A village market generally sits (c) —— an open place of the village. Usually a village market is divided (d) —— three sections-open space, temporary shops and permanent shops. Vegetable, milk, fish, fruit, curry and other essential things are sold (e) —— the open space. (f) —— the grocers’ people buy oil, salt, onion, garlic, ginger, pulse etc. A village market is very useful and important (g) —— the life of the villagers. Here they meet their kith and kin and variety (h) —— people.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
My dear father,
I am very glad to learn from your letter that you are all well in the (a) —— . The result of my (b) —— examination has been published. You will (c) —— be happy that I have (d) —— GPA-5 in all subjects in the (e) —— . All the teachers praised me (f) ——. My teachers have suggested to purchase some (g) —— books. I also feel the (h) —— of those books. They will cost about one (i)—— taka. Please (j) —— me the money as soon as possible.
With best regard to you and love to all.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Trees||think||also a great source of food and vitamins.|
|They||play||of our life without trees.|
|We cannot||save||an important role in our life.|
|are||us from flood and many other natural calamities.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
Kamal is a student of Kustia Zilla School. (a) It is one of the oldest schools. (Make positive degree) (b) The result of the school is satisfactory. (Make it negative) (c) The teaching staff of this school are not unqualified. (Make it affirmative) (d) The school is very beautiful to look at. (Make it interrogative) (e) Rahim is proud of his school. (Make it interrogative)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question b and d have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Man cannot live alone. So he (a)―(want) company. He (b)―(‘lead’ in the negative) his life without the help of others. For this reason man has been (c)―(live) together in the society. It is (d)―(‘call’ in the passive) social life. No one in the society can do whatever he (e)―(like). He has to (f)―(abide) by the rules and regulations of the society. People can make a happy community if they (g)―(be) obedient to rules and regulations. An honest and diligent man can (h)―(lead) a happy community or a nation.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
“ladies and gentlemen welcome on board Flight BG 88 to singpore please faten your seatbelts and turn off all personal electronic devices” said the flight attendant.
Model Question-14 Solution
1. (a) A; (b) the; (c) the; (d) an; (e) the; (f) an; (g) the; (h) ´.
2. (a) to; (b) in; (c) in; (d) into; (e) in; (f) From; (g) in; (h) of.
3. (a) family; (b) final; (c) certainly; (d) secured; (e) examination; (f) highly; (g) important (h) necessity; (i) thousand; (j) send.
4. (i)Trees play an important role in our life.
(ii) They save us from flood and many other natural calamities.
(iii) They are also a great source of food and vitamins.
(iv) We cannot think of our life without trees.
5. (a) Very few schools are so old as it.
(b) The result of the school is not unsatisfactory.
(c) The teaching staff of this school are qualified.
(d) Isn’t the school very beautiful to look at?
(e) Isn’t Rahim proud of his school?
6. (a) wants; (b) does not lead; (c) living; (d) called; (e) likes; (f) abide; (g) are; (h) lead. 7. “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome on board Flight BG 88 to Singapore. Please, fasten your seatbelts and turn off all personal electronic devices,”said the flight attendant.