MODEL QUESTION 1
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks) 0.5×10=5
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once.
A man of (a) —— is respected always (b) —— after his death for his (c) ——. He is an (d) —— man always (e) —— us as his (f) —— knowledge always (g) —— us how to (h) —— between the right and wrong. (i) —— fact, it is the (j) —— society that can help us in an authentic way.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Man is the (a) —— of his own fortune. If he makes (b) —— proper (c) —— of his time and does his duties accordingly, he is sure (d) —— improve and progress (e) —— life, but if he does otherwise, he has (f) —— suffer when it is too late. To waste time is as bad as to commit suicide (g) ——, our life is nothing but the sum total (h) —— hours, days and years. If we waste (i) —— morning hours of life, we shall have to repent (j) —— the long run.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|But all foods||have||without food.|
|No living beings||have taken||to the foods we eat.|
|The foods we eat||are not||enormous steps in preparing food.|
|About 80% of our illness||can live||a great effect on our health.|
|The scientists||is related||safe for us.|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=5
We the people (a) —— in Bhola are always (b) —— though we have many natural assets. We (c) —— with several natural assets. Our total land is (d) —— day by day due to river erosion. As a result, people (e) —— in coastal area (f) —— their all the belongings along with their (g) —— places. Steps (h) —— by the government (i) —— properly because of corruption. So the concerned authority (j) —— to interfere the matter.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“We want to go on an excursion, sir,” the students said to the Headmaster. “When do you want to go? I think December is the perfect month” he said to them. The students said. “Will you give us permission?” “Sure, I will help heartily” “Thank you, sir. May Allah bless you”.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) A newly married woman is called a bride. (Complex)
(b) So a bridal party is a party which consists of the bride and her friends and attendants. (Simple)
(c) Relatives from this party are to observe certain rites. (Passive)
(d) Arrangements for rejoicing and merry making are also made by them. (Active)
(e) They also welcome the bridegroom and his friends when they arrive at bride’s house. (Simple)
(f) A new bride looks very smart. (Exclamatory)
(g) She looks more beautiful than any other girl. (Superlative)
(h) Relatives come to see her. (Interrogative)
(i) Relatives come to wish her. (Compound)
(j) The new bride is wished by everyone. (Active)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) There was an old farmer who——.
(b) Though the sons were grown-up ——.
(c) They were so disobedient that——.
(d) —— but they did not pay any heed to him.
(e) As he was getting old, ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Smoking produces (a) — (danger) — effects on man. By smoking a man incurs both physical and (b) — (economy) — loss. The butt end of a cigarette often causes a (c) — (devaste) — fire. Smoking is a kind of (d) — (addict) —. Those who become (e) — (addict) — to drug, first begin smoking which is the initial step for addiction. We should raise (f) — (smoking) — (g) — (aware) — among our people. It is (h) — (possible) — to stop smoking by giving (i) — (punish) —. (j) — (out) — effort from everybody is essential to minimize smoking.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Illiteracy is a curse. Nothing is so harmful as it for our national life,——?
(b) Yet most of us don’t understand this truth,——?
(c) It is illiteracy which hampers all the development programmes,——?
(d) So, we need to work in a body so that this can be eradicated,——?
(e) There is nobody who can deny this truth,——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Writing is one of the most useful things (a) —— invented by man. (b) —— our present civilization depends largely upon writing. (c) ——, we could know a little about our past (d) —— written documents. It was impossible for us to know anything about our history. Then, a question may arise that (e) —— has invented this art?
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
what do you want asked she alfred answered i only want to come in i am very tired please let me come inside afterwards i will go away
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) letter; (b) even; (c) deed; (d) important; (e) to; (f) different; (g) inspires; (h) differentiate; (i), In; (j) educated.
2. (a) maker; (b) a; (c) division; (d) to; (e) in; (f) to; (g) for; (h) of; (i) the; (j) in.
3. (a) But all foods are not safe for us.
(b) No living beings can live without food.
(c) The foods we eat have a great effect on our health.
(d) About 80 % of our illness is related to the food we eat.
(e) The scientists have taken enormous steps in preparing food.
4. (a) living; (b) deprived; (c) are blessed; (d) decreasing; (e) living; (f) lose; (g) living; (h) taken; (i) are not materialized; (j) has.
5. The students told the Headmaster respectfully that they wanted to go on an excursion. The Headmaster asked them when they wanted to go and added that he (h) thought December was the perfect month. The students asked him if he would give them permission. The Headmaster ensured them that he would help heartily. The students thanked respectfully and prayed that Allah might bless him.
6. (a) A woman who is newly married is called a bride.
(b) So a bridal party is a party consisting of the bride including her friends with attendants.
(c) Certain rites are to be observed by relatives from this party.
(d) They also make arrangements for rejoicing and merry making.
(e) They also welcome the bridegroom and his friends at the time of their arrival at bride’s house.
(f) How smart a new bride looks!
(g) She looks the most beautiful of all the girls.
(h) Don’t relatives come to see her?
(i) Relatives come and wish her.
(j) Everyone wishes the new bride.
7. (a) There was an old farmer who had four sons.
(b) Though the sons were grown up, they did not work hard.
(c) They were so disobedient that their parents could not manage them.
(d) Their father always advised them to work but they did not pay any heed to him.
(e) As he was getting old, he became worried/anxious about their future.
8. (a) dangerous; (b) economic; (c) devastating; (d) addiction; (e) addicted; (f) anti-smoking; (g) awareness; (h) impossible; (i) punishment; (j) All-out.
9. (a) Illiteracy is a curse. Nothing is so harmful as it for our national life, is it?
(b) Yet most of us don’t understand this truth, do we?
(c) It is illiteracy which hampers all the development programmes, isn’t it?
(d) So, we need to work in a body so that this can be eradicated, needn’t we?
(e) There is nobody who can deny this truth, is there?
10. (a) as/ever; (b) Infact; (c) Besides; (d) without; (e) who
11. “What do you want?” asked she. Alfred answered, “I only want to come in. I am very tired. Please, let me come inside. Afterwards I will go away.”