MODEL QUESTION 12
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Youth is (a) —— best time of (b) ——. This is the time (c) —— it is most important (d) —— one to remember the maxim, “As you (e) ——, so shall you reap.” One must sow (f) —— seeds of industry, truthfulness, honesty and other virtues (g) —— this season to (h) —— the harvest of prosperity and happiness. Whatever takes root in (i) —— man at this time lasts throughout the rest (j) —— his life and moulds his future.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Ours is (a) —— small country. But it is full (b) —— natural resources. We need (c) —— utilize these resources properly because its prosperity depends on (d) —— proper utilization of these resources. We should not waste our time (e) —— laziness. It cannot do (f) —— good to the country. It is our duty to build (g) —— this country. (h) —— this, we need to work hard. We also need to be (i) —— educated to meet time’s demand. We must create a dedicated generation to represent it (j) —— the world. For this, our education system must be upgraded.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|An educated mother||is||largely indebted to its educated mothers|
|A child||plays||an important role to build up an educated nation|
|If the mother||grows||educated her children will be educated|
|An educated nation||always in touch of its mother|
|A child||up in contact with its mother usually|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
Once Edison (a) —— from his school for two days. His parents were (b) —— in. The issue (c) —— fighting. Little Edison was (d) —— the reason. The reply, you may (e) —— today, was amazing. The boy (f) —— because few of his friends (g) —— him ‘Pele.’ He disliked it as he had been (h) —— after the great scientist Edison. He took pride in the name. However, the suspension (i) —— over, he returned to school. But he found disappointedly that now all his friends (j) —— him ‘Pele’ to irritate him. Can you identify this boy?
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
The stranger said to the boy, “Will you tell me the way to the nearest hotel?” “Yes. I will. Do you want a residential one in which you can spend the night?” the boy said. “I do not want to stay here, but I only want a meal,” the stranger replied. The boy said,”Follow me.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) We are proud of our freedom fighters. (Make interrogative sentence)
(b) Their contribution will never be forgotten. (Make affirmative sentence)
(c) Their sacrifice is greater than any other thing. (Make positive sentence)
(d) But today many of them lead a very miserable life. (Make complex sentence)
(e) If we take proper steps, their condition may improve. (Make simple sentence)
(f) Their allowance should be increased. (Use active voice)
(g) We should respect them. (Use passive voice)
(h) We should never forget their sacrifice. (Make affirmative sentence)
(i) We should regard their sacrifice. (Make negative sentence)
(j) The freedom fighters are the real heroes. (Make complex sentence)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) —— provided the weather is fine.
(b) The man was given the job after——.
(c) The old man walks slowly lest——.
(d) Be truthful if ——.
(e) Scarcely had the assembly begun——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
The aim of education is the (a) — (harmony) — development. But (b) — (book) — knowledge is (c) — (sufficient) — in this regard. Without co-curricular (d) — (active) — the full blooming of body, mind and soul is (e) — (possible) —. Including debate (f) — (publish) — of magazine, (g) — (culture) — activities they also (h) — (rich) — students with (i) — (modest) —, diligence, (j) — (polite) —, etc.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Tafsir, Parto and Sudipto decided to make a journey by boat, they all would arrive at the ghat at 10 a.m. Tafsir said to them, “Don’t be late tomorrow, ——?
(b) Asif had a target to finish the lesson within 2 hours. But he has not. Then he says to himself, “How time does fly, ——?
(c) If Samin had a car, he would go on a long drive, ——?
(d) When Ismail ended the story, every student became astonished, ——?
(e) To make a good result, Sujon and Tarek will study sharing their problems. Sujon said to Tarek,'”It is a good idea, ——?”
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Where there is a will, there is a way. This proverb is necessarily true. People hate their fate (a) —— they cannot get the result as their wishes. But (b) —— a man works intentionally for building his future, success will touch him definitely. There is no magic power. (c) —— it is the magic of hard work. (d) —— when one gets success, fortune will side him too. The unlucky people rebuke the fate. (e) —— there is no alternative to hardwork.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
do not worry about a few mistakes said the teacher you can learn a lot through your mistakes do we learn from our mistakes asked the boy yes we learn
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) the; (b) life; (c) when; (d) for; (e) sow; (f) the; (g) in; (h) reap; (i) a (j) of.
2. (a) a; (b) of; (c) to; (d) the; (e) in; (f) any; (g) up; (h) For; (i) properly; (j) in.
3. (a) An educated mother plays an important role to build up an educated nation.
(b) A child grows up in contact with its mother usually.
(c) If the mother is educated her children will be educated.
(d) An educated nation is largely indebted to its educated mothers.
(e) A child is always in touch of its mother.
4. (a) was suspended; (b) called; (c) was; (d) asked; (e) not think; (f) fought; (g) called; (h) named; (i) being; (j) called.
5. The stranger asked the boy if he (b) would tell him (s) the way to the nearest hotel. The boy replied in the affirmative and said that he would and asked if he (s) wanted a residential one in which he (s) could spend the night. The stranger replied that he(s) did not want to stay there, but he only wanted a meal. The boy told him to follow him.
6. (a) Aren’t we proud of our freedom fighters?
(b) Their contribution will always be remembered.
(c) No other thing is so great as their sacrifice.
(d) But today many of them lead a life which is very miserable.
(e) By taking proper steps, we may improve their condition.
Or, In case of our taking proper steps, their condition may be improved.
(f) The government should increase their allowance.
(g) They should be respected by us.
(h) We should always remember their sacrifice.
(i) We should not disregard their sacrifice.
(j) It is the freedom fighters who are the real heroes.
7. (a) I shall go out provided the weather is fine.
(b) The man was given the job after he had been properly interviewed.
(c) The old man walks slowly lest he should fall down.
(d) Be truthful if you want to be respected.
(e) Scarcely had the assembly begun when it began to rain.
8. (a) harmonious; (b) bookish; (c) insufficient; (d) activities; (e) impossible; (f) publication; (g) cultural; (h) enrich; (i) modesty; (j) politeness.
9. (a) Tafsir, Parto and Sudipto decided to make a journey by boat, they all would arrive at the ghat at 10 a.m. Tafsir said to them, “Don’t be late tomorrow, will you?”
(b) Asif had a target to finish the lesson within 2 hours. But he has not. Then he says to himself, “How time does fly, doesn’t it?”
(c) Samin had a car, he would go on a long drive, wouldn’t he?
(d) When Ismail ended the story, every student became astonished, didn’t they?
(e) To make a good result, Sujon and Tarek will study sharing their problems. Sujon said to Tarek. “It is a good idea, isn’t it?”
10. (a) as/because; (b) if; (c) Rather; (d) Actually; (e) But.
11. “Don’t worry about a few mistakes,” said the teacher, “You can learn a lot through your mistakes.” “Do we learn from our mistakes,” asked the boy. “Yes, we learn,”