MODEL QUESTION 15
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Students should observe (a) —— laws of health. They should rise (b) —— the bed early (c) —— the morning and go (d) —— for (e) —— walk. Besides these, they should take care to perform all those things which are useful for the (f) —— of health. They should take part in games and sports regularly . These are essential (g) —— their physical and mental (h) ——. They should also follow (i) —— rules of health because health is (j) —— root of all happiness.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Time and tide wait (a) —— none. None can call it back. (b) —— man can get back his (c) —— money and health but cannot get back his lost time. Time (d) —— lost is lost forever. So we should make (e) —— best use of our time. We must do our work (f) ——time. If we put off our work (g) —— tomorrow, we may not get time to do it at all. There are some people who pass time (h) —— nothing. They cannot prosper (i) —— life. They have to depend (j) —— others.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|It||psychological or ethical nature|
|Character||Be||the crown of life|
|It also||means||the amalgamation of some good features|
|Character of a person||Hates||a man without character|
|Everybody||mental or moral qualities of a person, a community, a race, etc|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
Man has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. He (a) —— with what he has known and (b) ——. He wants to know and see more and more. The curiousity to know more (c) —— him to undertake and (d) —— out hard and dangerous tasks which eventually (e) —— in epoch-making discovering. In the fields of science and technology man in the meantime (f) —— what (g) —— once inconceivable. Man has already (h) —— on the moon and (i) —— a journey to the Mars. Science has (j) —— the impossible possible.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Mom, I want to be first in the class, like my friend Redwan but I always get the second place,” Ratul told his mother one day. “You will practise writing after reading,” the mother suggested. “Really? Why didn’t I think of this before?” sighed Ratul.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) I had exactly sixty thousand taka in the bank. (Complex)
(b) Only those boys who will work hard will succeed. (Simple)
(c) He came home in order that he might see you. (Compound)
(d) Nobody had seen her smile. (Voice)
(e) Only he who was pure in heart could be perfectly just. (Negative)
(f) What a fall was there, my students! (Assertive)
(g) This newspaper has a bigger circulation than any other morning paper. (Superlative)
(h) He is not only intelligent but also laborious. (Simple)
(i) I am glad that you have come. (Compound)
(j) Take care of your health. (Passive)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) We should learn English because ——.
(b) Our students are afraid of learning English as ——.
(c) Unless we learn English ——.
(d) For higher education, we need to learn English because ——.
(e) It is time we ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Greenhouse effect is serious (a) — (globe) — problem. It is a process by which thermal (b) — (radiate) — from earth’s surface is absorbed by (c) — (atmosphere) — greenhouse gases. There are many causes of greenhouse effect. (d) — (deforest) — and destroying forests, rapid (e) — (grow) — of unplanned industries, evaporation, pollution, increase of temperature, etc. are the (f) — (contribute) — to greenhouse effect. Too many people need (g) — (add) — things for their (h) — (survive) —. They cut down trees to built their houses, furniture, boats, etc. It brings natural (i) — (balance). We all must be (j) — (care) — to reduce it.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) The Headmaster and secretary attended the meeting,——?
(b) Everybody is liable to error, ——?
(c) We shall visit the National Memorial soon,——?
(d) He has few friends,——?
(e) Rumour spread all over the country,——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
(a) —— it was a cold evening, everything seemed enticing to Soroni. “The dying day, the distant tune of flute, dingy little cottages, dark greenery, all must have the power to enchant people, “she thought. All are (b) —— inviting (c) —— entertaining (d) —— she wondered how she could ignore this beauty. (e) —— she entered her grandmother’s small cottage, she surrendered herself to the affectionate embrace of the little lady.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
o my dear lady said fardinand i dare not i must finish my task before i take rest you will sit down i will carry your logs the while said miranda
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) the; (b) from; (c) in; (d) out; (e) a; (f) preservation; (g) for; (h) growth; (i) the; (j) the
2. (a) for; (b) A; (c) lost; (d) once; (e) the; (f) in; (g) for; (h) for; (i) in; (j) on.
3. (i) Character means the amalgamation of some good features.
(ii) It is psychological or ethical nature.
(iii) It also means mental or moral qualities of a person, a community, a race, etc.
(iv) Character of a person is the crown of life.
(v) Everybody hates a man without character.
4. (a) is not satisfied; (b) seen; (c) inspires; (d) carry; (e) results; (f) has achieved; (g) was; (h) landed; (i) launched; (j) made.
5. Addressing his mother as mom, one day Ratul told her that he wanted to be first in the class like his friend Redwan and added with disappointment that he always got second place. His mother suggested that he should practise writing after reading. Ratul asked his mother if it was really so and sighed why he had not thought of that before.
6. (a) I had taka in the bank which was exactly sixty thousand in amount.
(b) Only the hard-working boys will succeed.
(c) He wanted to see you and so he came home.
(d) Her smile had not been seen by anybody.
(e) None but he who was pure in heart could be perfectly just.
(f) My students, there was a great fall.
(g) This newspaper has the biggest circulation of all morning papers.
(h) Besides being intelligent, he is laborious.
(i) You have come and so I am glad.
(j) Let your health be taken care of.
7. (a) We should learn English because English is an international language.
(b) Our students are afraid of learning English as it is a foreign language.
(c) Unless we learn English we cannot cope with the modern world.
(d) For higher education, we need to learn English because books of higher education are all written in English.
(e) It is time we became serious to learn English well.
8. (a) global; (b) radiation; (c) atmospheric; (d) Deforestation; (e) growth; (f) contributors; (g) additional; (h) survival; (i) imbalance; (j) careful.
9. (a) The Headmaster and secretary attended the meeting, didn’t he?
(b) Everybody is liable to error, aren’t they?
(c) We shall visit the National Memorial soon, shan’t we?
(d) He has few friends, has he?
(e) Rumour spread all over the country, didn’t it?
10. (a) Although; (b) so; (c) and; (d) that; (e) As soon as
11. “O my dear lady,” said Fardinand, “I dare not. I must finish my task before I take rest”. “You will sit down. I will carry your logs the while,” said Miranda.