MODEL QUESTION 26
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Our aim is to educate girls (a) —— the fullest sense. (b) —— they leave school, they should be confident and have the (c) —— to express themselves clearly. They should also have (d) —— well-developed sense (e) —— right and wrong, a sense of duty, and a belief in their own worth. The member of (f) —— staff has a long tradition of encouraging pupils to discover their gifts and abilities in a secure and happy environment. We regard our students as young adults and (g) —— them in decisions concerning their (h) —— and school life. We should remember that (i) —— girls are (j) —— future hope of our nation.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
It is known to all that English is (a) —— international language. At present, English is widely used (b) —— the people of the whole world. Statistics show that 350 million people speak English as (c) —— first language and another 300 million use it as a (d) —— language. It is (e) —— official language in more than 60 countries (f) —— the world. (g) —— it was also the official language of (h) —— country. Most of the books of science and technology are written (i) —— English. So the importance (j) —— learning English beggars description.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|A king||was were tried declared||fixed for the competition|
|They||all taken before the king|
|A date||a rich prize for the teller of the biggest lie|
|Applicants||their best to tell bigger lies|
|enlisted serially for the competition|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
All can not (a) —— well in the examination. He crams when the examination (b) ——. On the other hand, Arif always (c) —— a good result. Because he (d) —— notes himself, memorizes them and (e) —— them again and again. He knows that it is a bad habit (f) —— answers which (g) —— out of memory as soon as the examination is over. He has been able to (h) —— experience that one time writing is equal to (i) —— for ten times. This is why he (j) — to write whatever he learns.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Good morning, Rupa,” said Sohel. “How much preparation have you taken for the Test Exam?” “A great preparation,” replied she. “I must get GPA-5.” ‘Wow! what a lucky girl!” said Sohel. “But my preparation is not so good.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Terrorism is a devastating phenomenon of the modern world. (Exclamatory)
(b) At present it is increasing alarmingly. (Interrogative)
(c) Nothing is as disastrous as terrorism. (Comparative)
(d) It is one of the most corrosive problems of the modern world. (Positive)
(e) A terrorist is hated by people. (Active)
(f) Who is not now in the threat of violence? (Assertive)
(g) Though there is law to punish the terrorists, they are nor properly applied. (Compound)
(h) By applying the law properly, we can get rid of terrorism. (Complex)
(i) What a miserable life a terrorist leads! (Assertive)
(j) They should be brought to book. (Active)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) He is such a great fool that——.
(b) The sooner, ——.
(c) Man lives in a society as —.
(d) That he will get promotion——.
(e) By the time he returned home ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
English is (a) — (compulsory) — taught in our country. But still our learners cannot have good command of English. This is because they do not learn (b) — (methodical) —. Moreover, they read to pass the examination. Many students only (c) — (memory) — the answers without understanding. The teachers are also (d) — (trained) — or in many rural schools the English teachers are (e) — (efficient) —. Moreover, our English teachers must make our learners (f) — (interest) — in this subject: They have to make the lessons easy and (g) — (live) — by creating an English environment in the classroom. Lessons must be made (h) — (attract) — to the students who are (i) — (comparative) — dull of understanding. The size of the (j) — (exist) — class must be small.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) My father scolded me. I was upset. Later I told him “You don’t like me, ——?”
(b) My friend Rihan was very interested to play. I told him, “Let’s play badminton, ——?”
(c) Whenever I go to Cox’s Bazar, I think that the Bay of Bengal is beautiful, ——?
(d) Little daughter asks her mother why man eats. In reply, she said, “Man eats to live, ——?”
(e) He is very introvert. He never passes any comment about others, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Trees are our best friends. (a) —— their need is not properly valued by rural people (b) ——play a negative role in the degradation of the environment (c) —— of they can deforestation. They can (d) —— bring about green revolution by planting trees, (e) —— their awareness is a must.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
do your duty by yourself when you will be attentive to your lessons you will be able to finish your course unless you work hard you will not succeed so do your duty in the right moment
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) in; (b) After; (c) ability; (d) a; (e) of; (f) the; (g) involve; (h) work; (i) the (j) the
2. (a) an; (b) by; (c) a; (d) second; (e) the; (f) of; (g) Once; (h) our; (i) in; (j) of.
3. (i) A king declared a rich prize for the teller of the biggest lie.
(ii) They were all taken before the king.
(iii) A date was fixed for the competition.
(iv) Applicants tried their best to tell bigger lies.
(v) Applicants were enlisted serially for the competition.
4. (a) do; (b) approaches; (c) makes; (d) prepares; (e) write; (f) to cram; (g) go; (h) gather; (i) reading; (j) does not hesitate.
5. Sohel wished Rupa good morning and asked how much preparation she had taken for the test exam. Rupa replied that she had taken a great preparation and added that she must get GPA-5. Sohel exclaimed with great joy that she was a very lucky girl and added that but his preparation was not so good.
6. (a) What a devastating phenomenon of the modern world terrorism is!
(b) Isn’t it increasing alarmingly at present?
(c) Terrorism is more disastrous than anything.
(d) Very few problems of the modern world are as corrosive as it.
(e) People hate a terrorist.
(f) Everybody is now in the threat of violence.
(g) There is law to punish the terrorists but they are not properly applied.
(h) If we apply the law properly, we can get rid of terrorism.
(i) A terrorist leads a very miserable life.
(j) We should bring them to book.
7. (a) He is such a great fool that he cannot understand a simple matter.
(b) The sooner, the better.
(c) Man lives in a society as he is a social being.
(d) That he will get promotion is clear to us.
(e) By the time he returned home he got very tired.
8. (a) compulsorily; (b) methodically; (c) memorize; (d) untrained; (e) inefficient; (f) interested; (g) lively; (h) attractive; (i) comparatively; (j) existing.
9. (a) My father scolded me. I was upset. Later I told him, “You don’t like me, do you?”
(b) My friend Rihan was very interested to play. I told him, “Let’s play badminton, shall we?”
(c) Whenever I go to Cox’s Bazar, I think that the Bay of Bengal is beautiful, isn’t it?
(d) Little daughter asks her mother why man eats. In reply, she said, “Man eats to live, doesn’t he?”
(e) “He is very introvert. He never passes any comment about others, does he?”
10. (a) But; (b) who; (c) because; (d) however; (e) so.
11. Do your duty by yourself. When you will be attentive to your lessons, you will be able to finish your course. Unless you work hard, you will not succeed. So, do your duty in the right moment.