SSC English 2nd Paper Model-4 With Solutions
MODEL QUESTION 4
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Good manners form (a) —— important part of our education. Our education (b) —— incomplete if we don’t learn good manners. In our behaviour (c) —— other we must (d) —— proper respect for them. We should have (e) —— sense of fitness in our (f) —— with others. We should show respect to our (g) ——. It is necessary for (h) __ disciplined society. Good manners cost us (i) ——. So, good manners should be a part (j) —— our culture.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
The word “Pahela” means the first and Boishakh is the (a) —— month of Bangla calender. The day is observed not (b) —— in Bangladesh but (c) —— in some other parts of the world. It is celebrated in West Bengal, Assam and Tripura. It is also (d) —— in Australia and the UK. In Australia, the largest (e) —— for Bangla new year is the Sydney Boishakhi Mela held (f) —— Sydney Olympic park. In England, the Bangaless (g) —— celebrate the day with a street (h) —— in London. It is the (i) —— Asian festival in Europe, (j) —— Bangladesh and west Bengal.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Self-confidence||Helps||a man to reach the goal of life|
|It||should||one to lose his self-confidence|
|The lack of determination||Exercise||not enjoyable.|
|Success without self-confidence||Is||one of the invaluable human qualities.|
|One||Leads||it in order to overcome the problem of life.|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
Money (a) —— one happy unless it (b) —— through fair means. There are people who (c) —— a lot of money but it (d) —— peace of mind to them. Their hours and days (e) —— only for earning money. Thus they get used to (f) —— after it till death. They (g) —— their bags of money but their money is a liability to them. Costly dress is (h) ——by them but their costly dress cannot give them peace. On the other hand, the poor (i) ——happy though they do not have wealth or money. They (j) —— the peace of mind.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Have you seen your mother, Jerry?” “I see her every summer. She sends for me.” I wanted to cry out. “Why are you not with her? How can she let you go away again?” He said, “She comes up here from Manville whenever she can. She does not have a job now.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Success will not come to one’s life automatically. (Interrogative)
(b) Do you know it? (Passive voice)
(c) Industry is the most important thing for success. (Comparative)
(d) So it is called the mother of good luck. (Active voice)
(e) An industrious boy will shine in life. (Complex)
(f) A life with an assignment is an actual life. (Negative)
(g) A man who is lazy always curses his lot for his misfortune. (Simple)
(h) What a fool he is! (Affirmative)
(i) None can receive any reward unless he works hard. (Simple)
(j) It is evident that industry is one of the greatest virtues. (Positive)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) I can’t understand why——.
(b) Can you suggest where——?
(c) Do you mind if——?
(d) I cannot justify why —— ?
(e) I do not like the people who ——?
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Patriotism means love for one’s own country and people. It is a powerful sentiment and is a (a) — (selfish) — and noble virtue. A true patriot is a great asset for a nation. His (b) — (ideal) — gives him courage and strength. It (c) — (courage) him to sacrifice his life for the sake of (d) — (free) — and honor of his country. By (e) — (be) — a patriot, one can bring (f) — (prosper) — for one’s country and remove her sufferings. But false (g) — (patriot) — expression is dangerous and (h) — (disaster) —. Patriotism is (i) — (price) — but it must not supersede the feeling of (j) — (universe) love for humanity.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) I think you live in an extended family, ——?
(b) Yes, I do. But I think a small family is not favourable for our mental growth, ——?
(c) You are right, we have to spend most of the time alone in a house, —— ?
(d) This is because our parents cannot spare time for us, —— ?
(e) Let us live in an extended family as our grandparents did, —— ?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Illiteracy is curse of our country. (a) —— we are responsible for our being illiterate. (b) —— our government has taken steps to remove illiteracy from the country. Illiteracy causes great harm to us. (c) —— we do not understand, we cannot take steps to improve our poor condition. (d) —— we are lagging behind. We are dependent on foreign grants. (e) —— we are not aware of the importance of literacy, we will not be able to change our lot.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
we would like to go on an excursion can we have your permission sir said the students yes you can arrange it after the examination is over and you should choose a historical place for that replied the headmaster thank you sir
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) an; (b) remains; (c) with; (d) show; (e) a; (f) conduct; (g) superiors; (h) a; (i) nothing; (j) of.
2. (a) first; (b) only; (c) also; (d) celebrated/observed; (e) festival/fair; (f)’at/in; (g) also; (h) procession; (i) greatest; (j) in.
3. (i) Self confidence is one of the invaluable human qualities.
(ii) It helps a man to reach the goal of life.
(iii) The lack of determination leads one to loss one’s self confidence.
(iv) Success without self confidence is not enjoyable.
(v) One should exercise it in order to overcome the problem of life.
4. (a) cannot make; (b) is earned; (c) have; (d) cannot bring; (e) are spent; (f) running; (g) enrich; (h) worn; (i) are; (j) enjoy.
5. I asked Jerry if he had seen his mother. He replied that he saw her every summer and added that she sent for him. I wanted to cry out and asked him why he was not with her and asked again how she could let him go away again. He said that she came up there from Manville whenever she could and added that she did not have a job then.
6. (a) Will success come to one’s life automatically?
(b) Is it known to you?
(c) Industry is more important for success than any other thing.
(d) So people call it the mother of good luck.
(e) A boy who is industrious will shine in life. .
(f) A life without an assignment is not an actual life.
(g) A lazy man always curses his lot for his misfortune.
(h) He is a great fool.
(i) None can receive any reward without working hard.
(j) It is evident that very few virtues are as great as industry.
7. (a) I can’t understand why he dislikes me.
(b) Can you suggest where it is found?
(c) Do you mind if I don’t accompany you?
(d) I cannot justify why he dislikes me.
(e) I do not like the people who are idle.
8. (a) unselfish; (b) idealism; (c) encourages; (d) freedom; (e) being; (f) prosperity; (g) patriotic; (h) disastrous; (i) priceless; (j) universal.
9. (a) I think you live in an extended family, don’t you?
(b) Yes, I do. But I think a small family is not favourable for our mental growth, is it?
(c) You are right, we have to spend most of the time alone in a house, don’t we?
(d) This is because our parents cannot spare time for us, isn’t it?
(e) Let us live in an extended family as our grandparents did, shall we?
10. (a) Actually; (b) However; (c) As; (d) As a result; (e) If.
11. “We would like to go on an excursion. Can we have your permission, sir?” said the students. “Yes, you can arrange it after the examination is over and you should choose a historical place for that,” replied the Headmaster. “Thank you, sir.”