MODEL QUESTION 55
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Computer was not invented (a) ——. It took time and hard labour (b) —— invent computer. Many votaries (c) —— science worked hard (d) —— years together and finally came out (e) ——. (f) —— fact, computer can’t work all (g) —— itself. It works on (h) —— basis of the command given by (i) —— operator. It is used in our daily life for (j) —— number of purposes.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5Íl0=5
Cleopatra was (a) —— daughter of Pharaoh of (b) ——. She was (c) ——, proud and strong willed. She (d) —— determined to keep her (e) —— free from invaders. When Romans (f) —— the Egyptian Army, she decided (g) —— to surrender. She had a (h) —— snake round her (i) ——. One day the snake (j) —— her and she died.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Science||diseases with still remain beyond control|
|For example, antibiotics||helps||so helpful against diseases like cholera, typhoid and tuberculosis|
|There||are||man in so many ways|
|is||now inoculations and against most of vaccines the diseases|
|Now medical science||engaged in continuous research on such diseases|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5Íl0=5
Bookish knowledge (a) —— useless when one (b) —— it in the real life. In our practical life, we (c) —— with different types of people and we get (d) —— by learning from their way of living, manners and other things. The world is big. If we (e) —— our eyes and ears (f) ——, we can learn a good things of life. The outside world (g) —— us a wide scope of (h) —— different people and their cultures. The things (i) —— at schools and colleges are important but what we (j) —— from our practical life is precious.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Do you know why you have been sent to school?” “For playing with friends, father.” “No, no, you are sent to learn to read and write.” “But I won’t read and write”, replied Robi sulkily. “Yes, you will.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Farhana’s life was very difficult. (Make exclamatory sentence)
(b) One day she got a loan from Grameen Bank and started to make a plan. (Make simple sentence)
(c) She bought a dheki to husk rice. (Make complex sentence)
(d) In spite of his working very hard, there was happiness in his heart. (Make compound sentence)
(e) She was very hard-working and responsible loanee. (Make negative sentence)
(f) She would pay the loan in time. (Make interrogative sentence)
(g) So, the official trusted her. (Make negative sentence)
(h) She has changed her lot through hard work. (Make compound sentence)
(i) She has brought prosperity to the family. (Make complex sentence)
(j) She is not poor now. (Make affirmative sentence)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(b) United we stand, ——.
(a) It is high time we——.
(c) Unless you are united ——.
(d) —— know this wise saying?
(e) The story of the old man and his sons teaches us ——
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Man has a/an (a) — (quench) — thirst for knowledge. He is (b) — (satisfied) — with what he has known and seen. He wants to know more and more. This (c) — (curious) — to know more, coupled with his (d) — (conquer) — spirit of adventure has inspired him to (e) — (take) — and carry out difficult and dangerous tasks. It has (f) — (event) — resulted in epoch-making discoveries and (g) — (invent) — and led him in his (h) — (continue) — journey from his (i) — (help) — state of power and progress. In the fields of science and technology man has many (j) — (achieve) —.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Man is fond of turning back to the past,——? ‘
(b) We need to be satisfied with the present,——?
(c) But everybody hardly forgets golden past, ——?
(d) Nothing is more pleasant to him than the memories of childhood, ——?
(e) The memories of childhood really never displease us,——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
None can deny the importance of tree plantation (a) —— our lives on earth directly and indirectly depend on it. (b) —— it is a matter of sorrow that we are cutting down trees indiscriminately. (c) —— trees are planted, soon our country will turn into desert, (d) —— there will be an adverse change in the climate. (e) —— we should plant more and more trees for our own sake.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
fahim said to me have you finished reading the book i gave you yesterday yes have finished reading the book
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) overnight; (b) to; (c) of; (d) for; (e) successful; (f) In; (g) by; (h) the; (i) an; (j) the.
2. (a) the; (b) Egypt; (c) beautiful; (d) was; (e) people/citizens/country; (f) attacked; (g) not; (h) poisonous; (i) neck; (j) bit.
3. (a) Science helps man in so many ways.
(b) For example, antibiotics are so helpful against diseases like cholera, typhoid and tuberculosis.
(c) There are now inoculations and vaccines against most of the diseases.
(d) There are diseases which still remain beyond control.
(e) Now medical science is engaged in continuous research on such diseases.
4. (a) becomes; (b) applies: (c) mix; (d) enriched; (e) keep; (f) open; (g) gives; (h) knowing; (i) received; (j) learn.
5. Father asked Robi if he knew why he had been sent to school. Robi replied that he had been sent to school for playing with friends. Father disagreed with him and told him that he was sent to learn, to read and write. But Robi sulkily replied that he wouldn’t read and write. Father insisted again and told him that he would read and write.
6. (a) How difficult Farhana’s life was!
(b) One day getting a loan from Grameen Bank, she started to make a plan.
(c) She bought a dheki so that she could husk rice.
(d) She worked very hard but there was happiness in her heart.
(e) She was not at all an idle and irresponsible loanee.
(f) Wouldn’t she pay the loan in time?
(g) So, the official didn’t distrust her.
(h) She has worked hard and changed her lot.
(i) It is she who has brought prosperity to the family.
Or, It is the family to which she has brought prosperity.
(j) She is rich now.
7. (a) United we stand, divided we fall.
(b) It is high time, we changed our eating habits.
(c) Unless you are united, you will suffer in the long run.
(d) Who doesn’t know this wise saying?
(e) The story of the old man and his sons teaches us that unity in strength.
8. (a) unquenchable; (b) unsatisfied; (c) curiosity; (d) unconquerable; (e) undertake; (f) eventually; (g) inventions; (h) continuous; (i) helpless; (j) achievements.
9. (a) Man is fond of turning back to the past, isn’t he?
(b) We need to be satisfied with the present, don’t we?
(c) But everybody hardly forgets golden past, do they?
(d) Nothing is more pleasant to him than the memories of childhood, is it?
(e) The memories of childhood really never displease us, do they?
10. (a) as; (b) But; (c) Unless; (d) Consequently/As a result; (e) So.
11. Fahim said to me, “Have you finished reading the book I gave you yesterday?” “Yes, I have finished reading the book.”