MODEL QUESTION 8
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
There are various kinds (a) —— profession. So (b) —— profession varies (c) —— man to man. Selection of profession is very important (d) —— a student. He faces difficulties (e) —— choosing a right (f) ——. He is (g) —— prefer a profession very carefully. If he can choose his profession accurately, he can shine (h) —— life. (i) —— good boy determines his profession very carefully. Having (j) —— a profession he advances.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
Freedom does not come automatically. People must raise them (a) —— it. It must be earned (b) —— it can be enjoyed. According to (c) —— old idea, freedom means freedom (d) —— foreign domination. “Freedom really means freedom (e) —— want, disease and ignorance.” (f) —— real freedom, we must free our people (g) —— want, disease and ignorance. We can (h) —— our rightful place (i) —— the modern world (j) —— using all our resources and all our energies.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Emotion It Nobody We all So it||should exists be||above it|
|be controlled to work properly|
|subordinate to it|
|a silent killer|
|almost in everybody|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
My dear X,
The news of your sudden admission into Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital (a) —— me a back. I have learnt that you (b) —— from gastric pain for about a week. I (c) —— beside you in the hospital. But you (d) —— my text examination (e) —— on. It (f) —— on the 2nd proximo. Immediately after the examination, I (g) —— to meet you. I (h) —— my younger brother, John to hand you some books. These (i) —— you to remove your boredom, (j)——not nervous.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
Sohel asked Alok, “Friend, have you ever visited the National Memorial at Savar in Dhaka? Wow, how splendid it is!” “Yes, I haven’t yet gone there. But I must visit there after the SSC exam is over.” “It has been built in memory of the martyrs of our Liberation War. May God bless their souls,” Sohel said.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) Traffic jam is the most serious problem in Dhaka city now. (Comparative)
(b) It has become a common affair in most of the cities and towns. (Negative)
(c) Sometimes this jam is so acute that it blocks more than a kilometer of a street. (Compound)
(d) It kills our valuable time. (Passive)
(e) By taking some pragmatic steps we can solve this problem. (Complex)
(f) More wide roads can be constructed. (Active)
(g) Law should be implemented to ensure punishment. (Complex)
(h) Drivers who are experienced should be given license (Simple)
(i) Public awareness is more important than any other step. (Superlative)
(j) Then life in Dhaka city will be very enjoyable. (Exclamatory)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) Truthfulness is a great virtue because ——.
(b) One cannot command the respect of others unless ——.
(c) One may succeed once or twice by telling a lie but——.
(d) ——if you are a liar.
(e) So, it is a wise decision ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Answer to the questions in the examination should be to the point. You should not (a) —(large) — your answers (b) —(necessary) —. When you write main ideas, you can (c) short your sentences. Only (d) —(elaborate) — of the answers is simply a (e) —(waste) — of time. This practice (f) —(please) — the (g) —(examine) — and they get (h) —(irritate) — and do not want to give high marks. So, students are advised to be (i) —(caution) — and to avoid (j) —(relevant) — points in the answer.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Nobody can ignore his lot, ——?
(b) I am too weak to go, ——?
(c) Let us do the work, —— ?
(d) Happy birthday to you, —— ?
(e) Birds fly in the sky, ——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Yesterday I went to the house of one of my friends. I wanted to meet him. (a) ——, I did not find him there (b) —— he had already gone out. (c) —— I talked to his mother (d) —— left a note with her. (e) —— I left the house.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
where are you going said the merchant i was coming to see you what do you want to earn my bread by the labour of my hands do you really want work said the merchant yes if you have any then follow me and carry a box from a shop to my house i do not see how i can do that said the youth
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) of; (b) a; (c) from; (d) for; (e) in; (f) profession; (g) to; (h) in; (i) A; (j) selected.
2. (a) to; (b) before; (c) an; (d) from; (e) from: (f) For; (g) from; (h) establish; (i) in; (j) by.
3. (a) Emotion exists almost in everybody.
(b) It is a silent killer.
(c) Nobody is above it.
(d) We all are subordinate to it.
(e) So it should be controlled to work properly.
4. (a) has taken; (b) have been suffering; (c) should be; (d) know; (e) is going; (f) will be finished; (g) will come; (h) am sending; (i) will help; (j) don’t get.
5. Addressing Alok as friend, Sohel asked him if he (A) had ever visited the National Memorial at Savar in Dhaka. He (S) exclaimed with great joy that it was very splendid. Alok agreed with him and replied that he (A) had not yet gone there. He (A) asserted that he (A) must visit there after the SSC exam was over. Sohel said that it had been built in memory of the martyrs of our Liberation War. He (S) prayed that Allah might bless their souls.
6. (a) Traffic jam is more serious than any other problem in Dhaka city now.
(b) It has not become an uncommon affair in most of the cities and towns.
(c) Sometimes this jam is very acute and it blocks more than a kilometre of a street.
(d) Our valuable time is killed by it.
(e) If we take some pragmatic steps, we can solve this problem.
(f) The authority can construct more wide roads.
(g) Law should be implemented so that punishment can be ensured.
(h) Experienced drivers should be given license.
(i) Public awareness is the most important step.
(j) Then how enjoyable life in Dhaka city will be!
7. (a) Truthfulness is a great virtue because it helps a man to become great.
(b) One cannot command the respect of others unless he respects others,
(c) One may succeed once or twice by telling a lie but one day the truth will come to light.
(d) You will be punished if you are a liar.
(e) So, It is a wise decision to build up the habit of speaking the truth.
8. (a) enlarge; (b) unnecessarily: (c) shorten; (d) elaboration; (e) wastage; (f) displeases; (g) examiners: (h) irritated;(i) cautious; (j) irrelevant.
9. (a) Nobody can ignore his lot, can they?
(b) I am too weak to go, aren’t I?
(c) Let us do the work, shall we?
(d) Happy birthday to you, don’t you?
(e) Birds fly in the sky, don’t they?
10. (a) But; (b) as/since; (c) So; (d) and; (e) Then.
11. “Where are you going?” said the merchant. “I was coming to see you.” “What do you want?” “To earn my bread by the labour of my hands.” “Do you really want work?” said the merchant. “Yes, if you have any.” “Then follow me and carry a box from a shop to my house.” “I don’t see how I can do that,” said the youth.