[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (x) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Rokeya : Do you think (a) —— newspaper is important?
Rahima : The newspaper is (b) —— people’s parliament. It plays (c) —— vital role in modern civilization. It’s (d) —— mirror of (e) —— world.
Rokeya : We must have (f) —— habit of reading newspaper.
Rahima : It helps us acquire knowledge. It is (g) —— essential for our education. Without it nobody can keep contact with (h) —— outside world. I’ve taken up a plan that I’ll read newspaper daily anyhow.
Rokeya : Thank you.
2. Mainul is writing to his friend about the disadvantage of a big family. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|with||among||in × 4||without||on|
You wanted to know about Muzammel. He is working (a) —— a private organization. He is not well paid there. His father was an L.D assistant in a government office. He retired four months ago. (b) —— pension money, he has nothing else to support the family. Muzammel is the eldest (c) —— the seven children of their parents. He takes pity (d) —— his father seeing how his father is struggling (e) —— order to maintain such a big family. Sometimes, he also gets angry (f) —— his father. He can’t understand why his father made the family so big (g) —— spite of living (h) —— poverty.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Your letter is to hand. You have wanted to know about (a) —— I have enjoyed the train journey. Now I am (b) —— you a description of it.
Well, it was a (c) —— from Dhaka to Chittagong. I went there to (d) —— a marriage ceremony. The train was (e) —— through small villages (f) —— corn fields. The trees, meadows, small rivers, houses (g) —— to run in the opposite (h) ——. The train was (i) —— at a good speed. I also enjoyed various (j) —— sights.
Regards to your parents.
Your loving friend,
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|English||have||spoken all over the world|
|It||be||known as an international language|
|The English-knowing people||get||a good command of English|
|They also||good jobs|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) We are human beings. (Make it interrogative). (b) We are mortal. (Make it negative). (c) Our life is not measured by the length of time. (Make it active). (d) Our deed can make us immortal. (Make it passive). (e) So, we must do good deeds in life. (Make it negative).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Some students are inattentive to studies. They (a) —— (‘read’ in the negative) —— from the beginning of the year. They (b) —— (start) —— reading before the examination. They (c) —— (become) —— very up and doing when the date of examination is (d) —— (announce) ——. They do not follow what their teachers (e) —— (‘say’ expressing habit) ——. As a result, they cannot (f) —— (complete) —— the syllabus. They read only the (g) —— (select) —— answers. When the examination begins, they (h) —— (forget) —— many of the answers because of tension.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
abdur rahman said to his housekeeper suruj ali these mangoes do not taste sweet they are sour how can i eat them take them away and bring some sweet ones from the orchard
Model Question-12 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) the; (c) a; (d) the; (e) the; (f) the; (g) ×; (h) the.
2. (a) in; (b) Without; (c) among; (d) on; (e) in; (f) with; (g) in; (h) in.
3. (a) how; (b) giving; (c) journey; (d) attend; (e) passing; (f) and; (g) seemed; (h) direction; (i) running; (j) natural.
4. (a) English is known as an international language.
(b) It is spoken all over the world.
(c) The English-knowing people have a good command of English.
(d) They also get good jobs.
5. (a) Aren’t we human beings?
(b) We are not immortal.
(c) The length of time does not measure our life.
(d) We can be made immortal by our deed.
(e) So, we cannot but do good deeds in life.
6. (a) do not read; (b) start; (c) become; (d) announced; (e) used to say; (f) complete; (g) selected; (h) forget.
7. Abdur Rahman said to his housekeeper, Suruj Ali, “These mangoes do not taste sweet. They are sour! How can I eat them? Take them away and bring some sweet ones from the orchard.”