[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Dhaka stands on (a) — Buriganga. It is (b) — old city. It is a populous (c) — city. There is (d) — Engineering University and (e) — Agricultural University in (f) — Dhaka. (g) — Zoo and (h) — National Museum are famous.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gap. 0.5 × 8 = 4
My love (a) — you. Hope you are well. You will be glad to know that I am going to be twelve (b) — Monday next. My parents arranged a birthday party (c) — this occasion. All arrangements have been completed. The party will start (d) — 7 am. I will be very happy (e) — get you here (f) — our midst. I shall be waiting (g) — you.
No more today. (h) — best regards to your parents.
Your loving friend,
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Your letter is (a) — to my hand. I am very much (b) — at your excellent result in the Primary Scholarship Examination. I offer my (c) — congratulation on your brilliant success. I thought that you (d) — cut an excellent result (e) — the Exam. But I was really in (f) — doubt whether you could actually (g) — such. (h) —, the result will inspire you to make further (i) — in future.
With best wishes to you (j) — parents.
Your loving friend,
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|The rules and practices of keeping good health||are||active, cheerful and happy.|
|To keep in good health we||is||proper functioning of all body organs.|
|People in good health||should||called hygiene.|
|Good health||be careful about hygiene.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Bangladesh is a small country. (Make it negative). (b) Very few countries in the world are as populous as it. (Make it superlative). Most of the people of our country are farmers. (c) They cannot send their children to schools. (Make it interrogative). Their children become farmers like their father. (d) Only education can change their lives. (Make it negative). (e) We should take some steps for those children. (Make it passive voice).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. 0.5 × 8 = 4
A rickshaw puller generally (a) — (change) his lot in spite of hard work. He (b) — (live) from hand to mouth. He (c) — (work) hard but he cannot maintain his family well. He has to (d) — (pay) the rickshaw rent and sometimes (e) — (bribe) the law enforcing authority. He (f) — (begin) his work early in the morning and (g) — (end) at noon. As he (h) — (be) very poor, he is not well aware of the rules of good health.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5×8=4
have you ever been to coxs Bazar asked Shabab no, I have never replied labib. But i desire for visiting the place.
Model Question-20 Solution
1. (a) the; (b) an ; (c) × ; (d) an ; (e) an ; (f) × ; (g) The ; (h) the.
2. (a) to; (b) on; (c) on; (d) at; (e) to; (f) in; (g) for; (h) With.
3. (a) just; (b) glad; (c) heartiest; (d) would; (e) in; (f) some; (g) do; (h) However; (i) success; (j) and.
4. (a) The rules and practices of keeping good health are called hygiene.
(b) To keep in good health we should be careful about hygiene.
(c) People in good health are active, cheerful and happy.
(d) Good health is proper functioning of all body organs.
5. (a) Bangladesh is not a big country.
(b) It (Bangladesh) is one of the most populous countries in the world.
(c) Can they send their children to schools?
(d) Nothing but education can change their lives.
(e) Some steps should be taken by us for those children.
6. (a) cannot change ; (b) lives ; (c) works ; (d) pay ; (e) bribe ; (f) begins ; (g) ends; (h) is.
7. “Have you ever been to Cox’s Bazar?” asked Shabab. “No, I have never,” replied Labib. “But I desire for visiting the place.”