[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (x) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Kabir : What (a) —— day! It has been raining.
Liton : That’s (b) —— reason why I’ve come out. I’m sure we shall have a rainy day at school.
Kabir : That may be. My clothes are all (c) —— spoilt. Oh! There are lots of boys thoroughly drenched. They are playing before (d) —— main gate of the school. They’re all in (e) —— jolly mood. Let us join them.
Liton : Look, the street before (f) —— school is almost like (g) —— river of filthy water. Rickshaws and buses stop and ply and so even (h) —— teachers are delayed.
Kabir : Let’s play football.
Liton : Ok.
2. Jabbar is writing to his friend about the best student award. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Ratgaon High School awarded the best student award (a) —— Rahman, a student of class VI (b) —— his outstanding result and good behaviour (c) —— all. Addressing (d) —— the award giving ceremony, the Headmaster (e) —— the school said that the school was proud of Rahman not only for his best result in the PEC but also for his polite behaviour. He said that Rahman was very honest, sincere and hard-working as a student and his qualities had helped him obtain the award. He asked all the students to follow Rahman (f) —— achieving success. At last, he wished Rahman to go ahead (g) —— a good speed for achieving grand success in future. We congratulated Rahman (h) —— his winning the best student award.
Tender my best regards to your parents. With love and best wishes.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Yesterday I received mother’s letter. (a) —— the letter, I have come to know about your (b) —— in studies. Mother is not (c) —— with your study. Now you often go out (d) —— remain outside home till evening. You know this (e) —— is never good for a student. (f) —— you do not study seriously, you will not be able to do (g) —— in the examination. Your annual exam is near at (h) ——. I think you are (i) —— to adopt unfair means in the examination. It is (j) ——. So, from now on be serious about your study.
Your elder brother,
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Education||broadens be||the outlook of an individual|
|People||the outlook of a nation|
|It||known as the process by which our mind develops|
|Similarly, it||coming forward to make the base of education strong|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Computer is one of the greatest inventions of modern science. (Make it comparative). It renders a great service to mankind. (b) A computer is a blessing for us. (Make it negative). (c) Now computers are used by us in various fields. (Make it active). (d) We cannot but depend on it. (Make it affirmative). (e) It has made our life easy. (Make it passive).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
To tell a lie is a great sin. We should (a) —— (‘tell’ in the negative) —— a lie. A man can (b) —— (gain) —— his purpose once or twice by telling a lie. But he cannot (c) —— (win) —— all the time. A liar (d) —— (suffer) —— in the long run. People do not believe a liar. They hate him. You know the story of a cowboy who (e) —— (‘tell expressing habit) —— a lie to make fun. He cried out by (f) —— (say) —— that a tiger had come. (g) —— (hear) —— his cry, people would come running to help him. He would laugh but one day when the tiger really (h) —— (come) ——, none was there to save him.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
have you killed the rats said the mayor yes i have said the piper give me the promised money how funny said the mayor we cannot give you so much money.
Model Question-11 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) the; (c) ×; (d) the; (e) a; (f) the; (g) a; (h) the.
2. (a) to; (b) for; (c) towards; (d) at; (e) of; (f) in; (g) with; (h) on.
3. (a) Reading; (b) progress; (c) satisfied; (d) and; (e) habit; (f) If; (g) well; (h) hand; (i) planning; (j) bad.
4. (a) Education is known as the process by which our mind develops.
(b) People are coming forward to make the base of education strong.
(c) It broadens the outlook of an individual.
(d) Similarly, it broadens the outlook of a nation.
5. (a) Computer is greater than most other inventions of modern science.
(b) A computer is not a curse for us.
(c) Now we use computers in various fields.
(d) We must depend on it.
(e) Our life has been made easy by it.
6. (a) never tell; (b) gain; (c) win; (d) suffers; (e) used to tell; (f) saying; (g) Hearing; (h) came.
7. “Have you killed the rats?” said the Mayor. “Yes, I have.” said the piper. “Give me the promised money.” “How funny!” said the Mayor. “We cannot give you so much money.”