[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5×8=4
Teacher : Hello, have you a dictionary?
Student : Yes, sir, I have (a) — one.
Teacher : Do you know how to look up a word in (b) — dictionary?
Student : Not really. It often takes (c) — long time to find (d) — meaning of (e) — word in a dictionary.
Teacher : It’s because you haven’t learned how to look up a word quickly in (f) — dictionary.
Student : How can I do it, teacher?
Teacher : Okay, let’s start with (g) — page from (h) — dictionary.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
I have not received any letter from you for a long time. I hope, you are quite well. I have come (a) — know that you do not read newspaper (b) — all. If you do not read newspaper, you will be detached (c) — the current world. Without reading it, you cannot keep pace (d) — the modern world. You will lack (e) — general knowledge. I advise you to start reading newspapers from today. This will increase your general knowledge and connect you (f) — the current world. So, don’t forget to read newspapers regularly.
I am waiting (g) — your reply with the news (h) — your progress.
No more today.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Thanks a lot for your e-mail. I am (a) — to describe you about recent outing. Our destination was Kuakata. You (b) —, it is one of the (c) — places for (d) — . We went there by a hired bus. (e) — the journey was a long one, none of us felt bored. We stayed there a (f) — of days. We enjoyed the sunset (g) — sunrise scene from the same spot. It was (h) — an excellent scene. We walked (i) — the shore barefooted and (j) — here and there in joy.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|She||was||an Albanian builder.|
|Mother Teresa||had||born on 26 August, 1920 in Skopje, Macedonia.|
|Her father||the only daughter of her parents.|
|two brothers older than her.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) We are proud of our freedom fighters (Make it interrogative). (b) Their contribution will never be forgotten (Make it affirmative). (c) They were inspired by the common people (Make it active). (d) Their sacrifice is greater than any other thing (Make it positive). (e) They lead a very miserable life (Make it passive).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. Question d and h have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5×8=4
We (a) — (be) Bangladeshi. At present we (b) — (live) in the civilised world. We must (c) — (work) for Bangladesh. We (d) — (forget ‘use modal in the negative’) that we (e) — (belong) to the larger family of the world. The people living in other countries (f) — (be) like our brothers. It would be such an excellent thing if all the people in the world were happy and (g) — (concentrate). We (h) — (‘make’ use ‘have to’) the whole world a happier place to live in.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5×8=4
Sumon a student of dhanmondi govt. boys school, went to see his ailing father at a hospital. He entered the room and sat beside his father’s bed. His father opened his eyes. Hello sumon said the sick man “its good to see you, son.
Model Question-13 Solution
1. (a) × ; (b) a ; (c) a ; (d) the ; (e) a ; (f) a ; (g) a ; (h) a.
2. (a) to; (b) at; (c) from; (d) with; (e) in; (f) with; (g) for; (h) of.
3. (a) going; (b) know; (c) best; (d) outing; (e) Though; (f) couple; (g) and; (h) really; (i) along; (j) roamed.
4. (a) Mother Teresa was born on 26 August, 1920 in Skopje, Macedonia.
(b) Her father was an Albanian builder.
(c) She was the only daughter of her parents.
(d) She had two brothers older than her.
5. (a) Aren’t we proud of our freedom fighters?
(b) Their contribution will always be remembered.
(c) The common people inspired them.
(d) No other thing is as great as their sacrifice.
(e) A very miserable life is led by them.
6. (a) are; (b) live; (c) work; (d) mustn’t forget; (e) belong; (f) are; (g) concentrated; (h) have to make.
7. Sumon, a student of Dhanmondi Govt. Boys’ School, went to see his ailing father at a hospital. He entered the room and sat beside his father’s bed. His father opened his eyes. “Hello, Sumon”, said the sick man. “Its good to see you, son.”