Model Question-16[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5×8=4
It was (a) — dark night. A blind man was walking along (b) — road with a lamp in his (c) — hand. Two men laughed at (d) — blind man. One said, “What’s (e) — use of (f) — lamp to a blind man?” The other called him (g) — fool. The blind man heard this and said, “It’s for those who are (h) — careless.” “What a surprise!” said the others.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
My dear Rumi,
I have received your letter just now and I am very anxious (a) — your studies because your JSC Exam is knocking (b) — the door. How have you prepared yourself? Here is a piece of advice (c) — you. Make a routine, dividing the days, allotting (d) — each subject. At least, write one broad and two short answers a day (e) — practice or you will forget them and will not be able (f) — reproduce them (g) — the exam.
No more today. (h) — best regards to all and love to all.
Your loving brother,
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
I hope you are hale (a) — hearty. I think you are (b) — with your study. You know about (c) — sickness. But she has been (d) — a little bit pain in her heart. Father (e) — her to a (f) — . The doctor has (g) — some medicines and (h) — her to have rest. Despite taking care and treatment, her condition is deteriorating day (i) — day. Mother is (j) — to see you. So come as soon as possible.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|has become||greatly dependent on it.|
|Messages||has brought||far cheaper than telephone calls.|
|It||is||from one country to another within seconds.|
|Trade and commerce||can be transmitted||about a revolution in modern communication.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Walking is the best of all other exercises (make it positive). (b) Walking is usually taken in the morning (make it interrogative). (c) An early morning walk gives us complete vigor and strength (make it negative). (d) It prevents many diseases (make it passive). (e) It is never harmful to our health (make it affirmative).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Thanks for your letter. I have (a) — (learn) that you are eager for learning English. I (b) — (appreciate) your interest. You can (c) — (listen) to BBC, CNN and other news programmes. You should (d) — (go) through English newspapers, story books, etc. You can (e) — (maintain) a diary and write your feelings in English. You should (f) — (communicate) with others in English. (g)— (go) ahead. I (h)—(hope) you will be successful.
Your elder brother,
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
A synonym is a word that means the same or almost the same as another word there may be more than one synonyms for some of the words big and large, begin and start are synonyms. An antonym is a word that means the opposite of another word sorrow and happiness, right and wrong are examples of antonyms.
Model Question-16 Solution
1. (a) a ; (b) the ; (c) × ; (d) the ; (e) the ; (f) a ; (g) a ; (h) ×.
2. (a) about ; (b) at ; (c) for ; (d) to ; (e) for ; (f) to ; (g) in ; (h) With.
3. (a) and ; (b) busy ; (c) mother’s ; (d) feeling ; (e) took ; (f) doctor ; (g) prescribed ; (h) advised; (i) by; (j) anxious.
4. (a) E-mail has brought about a revolution in modern communication.
(b) Messages can be transmitted from one country to another within seconds.
(c) It is far cheaper than telephone calls.
(d) Trade and commerce has become greatly dependent on it.
5. (a) No other exercise is as good as walking.
(b) Isn’t walking usually taken in the morning?
(c) An early morning walk doesn’t give us incomplete vigor and strength.
(d) Many diseases are prevented by it.
(e) It is always useful to our health.
6. (a) learnt ; (b) appreciate ; (c) listen ; (d) go ; (e) maintain ; (f) communicate ; (g) Go; (h) hope.
7. A synonym is a word that means the same or almost the same as another word. There may be more than one synonyms for some of the words. Big and large, begin and start are synonyms. An antonym is a word that means the opposite of another word. Sorrow and happiness, right and wrong are examples of antonyms.