SSC English 2nd Paper Model-16 With Solutions
MODEL QUESTION 16
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Present age is often referred (a) —— as an information age. (b) —— key to information age is the use of digital technology, that is, information and communication technology (ICT), (c) —— the needs of the society. ICT (d) —— the most significant role in changing, updating and advancing (e) —— present society. In Bangladesh, we (f) —— special emphasis (g) —— the use of digital technologies for improvement of our activities with (h)—— goal to realize Vision 2021. (i) —— 2021, after 50 years of independence, we are determined to be a middle-income country (j) —— peace, prosperity and dignity.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10=5
In the present world communication is (a) —— important matter with the (b) —— of science and technology communication system is becoming (c) —— than the past. Email, telephone, telex, etc are the (d) —— of communication. Email is a great (e) —— in our modern science. People can communicate (f) —— one another in the (g) —— of an eye. Commerce and trade can be (h) —— through email. It is a very easy and (i) —— way of communication for the people. But to (j) —— an email message we must need a computer.
3. Make five sentences using parts of the sentences from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|More female students||are||participating and playing their role impressively|
|They||opt||abroad to know about the up-to-date technology and research|
|In the highly competitive world of the medical profession women||go||now getting themselves admitted to medical colleges|
|Many women doctors||for a foreign degree now|
|They||entering there by dint of their merit|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
This is to inform you that our annual exam is (a) ——— at the door. But we could (b) ——our syllabus as yet. So we (c) —— some extra classes before our examination. We now (d) ——— you to arrange taking extra classes. It will be better for us if the classes begin before school (e) ——. We have (f) —— to our guardians about the problem and decision. They have (g) —— us for extra classes. They are ready to (h) —— for us until we (i) —— home and many of them will come to the school and (j) —— waiting outside so as to take us home.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Stop! You are eating all our bread,” shouted the two rats. “I am doing my best but I have told you it’s difficult,” said the monkey. “Give us the little piece,” said the rats. “This is my piece. Haven’t I done a lot of work for you?” replied the monkey. “How foolish we are to believe you!” said the rats.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
(a) He is one of the most brilliant student in the class (Comparative).
(b) We should help the poor (Imperative).
(c) This is pure water (Negative).
(d) He is not less wise than your father (Positive).
(e) Cox’s Bazar is the most charming place in Bangladesh (Comparative).
(f) We eat to live (Complex).
(g) What vexes you? (Passive)
(h) We know that honesty is the best policy (Simple).
(i) The Tajmahal was built after Mamataz Mahal had been died (Active).
(j) You can’t be successful without working hard (Compound).
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
(a) God will helps us so long as ——.
(b) 26th March is the date when ——.
(c) A man is known——.
(d) Had I seen him once more,——.
(e) They came here in order that ——.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in parenthesis. 0.5Í10=5
Nurul Islam will (a) — (certain) — come to visit us. He is both a benevolent and (b) — (patriot) — person. He loves all the people (c) — (equal) —. That’s why he has become a (d) — (rely) — and (e) — (admire) — person in our village. In any (f) — (advantage) — or (g) — (fortune) —, people (h) — (basic) — depends on him. He (i) — (earnest) — extends his (j) — (help) — hand to save them.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
(a) Nihar always blames his fate for his poverty. An old man said to him, “God helps those who help themselves, ——?”
(b) Mina wanted a pot full of water from her younger sister. Her younger sister said to her, “There is little water in the pot, ——?”
(c) Zaman is an addicted boy. His mother said to him, “My dear son, give up taking drugs, —?”
(d) Discipline is the random delivery of conscience. It is the combination of all good qualities, ——? ;
(e) If I had a bird, I would tame it,——?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors: 1×5=5
Globalisation is a term (a) —— is commonly used by man. (b) ——, it is a process of expanding trade and commerce all over the world creating a borderless market. (c) —— global development, we have conquered the time (d) —— distance. (e) ——, we can learn what is happening in the farthest corner of the world.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
please let me have the coffin he cried i will pay for it we will not sell it for the world one of the dwarfs said but I cannot live without snow white sighed the prince the dwarfs said you are the right man we can-hand over snow white to you
SSC ENGLISH SECOND PAPER: Answer
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. (a) to; (b) The; (c) on; (d) plays; (e) the; (f) put; (g) on; (h) the; (i) By; (j) with.
2. (a) an; (b) progress; (c) faster; (d) mediums; (e) invention; (f) with; (g) twinkling; (h) done; (i) cheap; (j) send.
3. (i) More female students are now getting themselves admitted to medical colleges.
(ii) They are entering there by dint of their merit.
(iii) In the highly competitive world of the medical profession women are participating and playing their role impressively.
(iv) Many women doctors opt for a foreign degree now.
(v) They go abroad to know about the up-to-date technology and research.
4. (a) knocking; (b) not complete; (c) need; (d) request; (e) begins; (f) talked; (g) suggested; (h) wait; (i) return; (j) keep.
5. The two rats shouted at the monkey to stop and said that he was eating all their bread. The monkey told them that he was doing his best but he had told them that it’s difficult. They told to give them the little piece. He told them that it was his piece and asked if he hadn’t done a lot of work for them. The rats exclaimed with sorrow that they were very foolish to believe him.
6. (a) He is more brilliant than most other students in the class.
(b) Let’s help the poor.
(c) This is not impure water.
(d) He is as wise as your father.
(e) Cox’s Bazar is more charming than any other place in Bangladesh.
(f) We eat so that we may live.
(g) What are you vixed at/with?
(h) We know honesty to be the best policy.
(i) Shajahan built the Tajmahal after Mamataz Mahal had died.
(j) Work hard or you cannot be successful.
7. (a) God will help us so long as we are in the right path.
(b) 26 March is the date when the independence of Bangladesh was declared.
(c) A man is known by the company he keeps.
(d) Had I seen him once more, I would have become very happy.
(e) They came here in order that they might meet me.
8. (a) certainly; (b) patriotic; (c) equally; (d) reliable; (e) admirable; (f) disadvantage; (g) misfortune; (h) basically; (i) earnestly; (j) helping.
9. (a) Nihar always blames her fate for his poverty. An old mam said to him, “God helps those who help themselves, doesn’t He?
(b) Mina wanted a pot full of water from her younger sister. Her younger sister said to her, “There is little water in the pot, is there?”
(c) Zaman is an addicted boy. His mother said to him, “My dear son, give up taking drugs, won’t you?”
(d) Discipline is the random delivery of conscience. It is the combination of all good qualities, isn’t it?
(e) If I had a bird. I would tame it, wouldn’t I?
10. (a) which; (b) But; (c) For; (d) and; (e) As a result/Therefore,
11. “Please, let me have the coffin,” he cried. “I will pay for it.” “We will not sell it for the world,” one of the dwarfs said. “But I cannot live without Snow White,” sighed the prince. The dwarfs said, “You are the right man. We can hand over Snow White to you.”