[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5×8=4
Man cannot live alone. So he wants (a) — company. He cannot live even for (b) — day without (c) — help of others. For this reason, man has been living together in (d) — society for (e) — indefinite period. It is called social life. No one in (f) — society can do whatever he likes. He has to abide by (g) — law and order of (h) — society.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Kazi Nazrul Islam was born (a) — 1899 (b) — Churulia in Burdwan. He was brought up (c) — extreme poverty. In his childhood he was called (d) — the name ‘Dukhu Mia’. He was admitted (e) — a school. But he disliked the strict rules (f) — the institutions. So he joined the army and went to the battlefield. Actually his literary life started (g) — there. He raised his voice against social injustice and exploitation. (h) — this reason, he is called ‘Rebel Poet’.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Computer has given a new meaning to human (a) — and civilisation. It has brought the (b) — in everyone’s grip. We use it in every (c) — of our life. (d) — word processing to scientific research computer is a must. Now people from one part of the world (e) — get access to many things in a (f) — through computers. We (g) — not suffer from any communication gap. We use internet (h) — computers. We send e-mails and thus keep (i) — touch with friends and family members through this. Thus computer is not a luxury in the present world. It is a need like a pen or a pencil for (j) — student.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|The invention of mobile phone||can||our life comfortable.|
|Mobile phone||is||a part of our life and civilisation.|
|We||makes||the role of telephone.|
|Now mobile phone||has changed||communicate easily and do other things too.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Dhaka is bigger than all other cities in Bangladesh (Make it positive). (b) The city was founded by a Mughal emperor. (Make it active) (c) The emperor constructed many buildings here. (Make it interrogative). Lalbag Fort is one of them. (d) Was it not made to save the city from any attack? (Make it affirmative). (e) Their reign was very peaceful. (Make it exclamatory).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Hassan’s best friend at school (a) — (be) Karim. They are cousins. They (b) — (sit) beside each other in the same class at school, but they (c) — (live) in the same village. Last month Hassan (d) — (stay) with Karim. Karim’s village is like Nurgonj and his house is also similar to Hassan’s. At the side of his yard, there (e) — (be) a vegetable garden. Like Hassan, Karim often (f) — (work) in it. He (g) — (grow) very good vegetables, but like Hassan, he sometimes (h) — (get) tired of them.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
the officer shouted to the poor driver, what are you going to do about it If an enemy plane comes over, the pilot will at once know that there is a truck there.” “i know, Sir,” answered the soldier.
Model Question-21 Solution
1. (a) × ; (b) a; (c) the ; (d) the ; (e) an ; (f) the ; (g) the ; (h) the.
2. (a) in ; (b) at ; (c) with ; (d) by ; (e) to ; (f) of ; (g) from ; (h) For.
3. (a) life ; (b) world ; (c) sphere ; (d) From ; (e) can ; (f) minute ; (g) do ; (h) through ; (i) in; (j) a.
4. (a) The invention of mobile phone has changed the role of telephone.
(b) Mobile phone makes our life comfortable.
(c) We can communicate easily and do other things too.
(d) Now mobile phone is a part of our life and civilisation.
5. (a) No other city in Bangladesh is as big as Dhaka.
(b) A Mughal emperor founded the city.
(c) Didn’t the emperor construct many buildings here?
(d) It was made to save the city from any attack.
(e) How peaceful their reign was!
6. (a) is; (b) sit; (c) don’t live; (d) stayed; (e) is ; (f) works; (g) grows; (h) gets.
7. The officer shouted to the poor driver, “What are you going to do about it? If an enemy plane comes over, the pilot will at once know that there is a truck there.” “I know, sir,” answered the soldier.