[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (x) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Traffic jam is (a) — common affair in (b) — big cities and towns. It is one of (c) — major problems of (d) — modern time. (e) — causes of traffic jam are too many to be described. Our roads are not (f) — wide. Most of (g) — drivers are not willing to abide by (h) — traffic rules.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
A hospital is the home (a) — the sick. It gives medical treatment (b) — them free (c) — cost. A hospital is generally run (d) — the government. A hospital has outdoor and indoor sections. A great number (e) — the sick people are treated (f) — the outdoor section. People attacked (g) — serious illness are admitted (h) — the indoor section.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
A (a) — was (b) — through a (c) —. It was very (d) — at that time. The merchant (e) — very tired. He (f) — the horse and sat under a tree. After a short rest, he (g) — the horse (h) —. (i) — he forgot to take the purse (j) — left it under the tree.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Globalization||involves||a result of improved communication.|
|It||means||the most vital role.|
|Now it||has become||communication and assistance among the people around the world.|
|Here, media||is playing||an unrestricted process of trade and commerce.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) No other day in my life is as memorable as my first day at school. (Superlative) (b) I will never forget this day. (Affirmative) (c) I passed the day with my new classmates and teachers. (Passive) (d) How thrilling the day was! (Assertive) (e) I remember my honourable teachers. (Interrogative)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verbs in the brackets. Questions b and e have instructions. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Rahim is a good student. He (a) — (learn) his lessons regularly. Today he (b) — (‘go’ use present continuous) to market. He (c) — (buy) a new shirt from the market. In the afternoon he will go to the field to (d) — (play) football. Everybody loves him because he (e) — (‘tell’ use ‘never’ to make negative) a lie. He (f) — (be) very much dear to his parents since he (g) — (obey) his parents. He (h) — (want) to become a doctor in future.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
It was the month of june last year from the biman office a bus of Bangladesh biman took us to the airport after checking in I was given a boarding card with my seat number on it It was a special moment and I was full of excitement.
Model Question-26 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) ×; (c) the; (d) × (e) The; (f) ×; (g) the; (h) the.
2. (a) for; (b) to; (c) of; (d) by; (e) of; (f) in; (g) by; (h) in.
3. (a) merchant; (b) passing; (c) desert; (d) hot; (e) felt; (f) stopped; (g) mounted; (h) again; (i) But; (j) and.
4. (a) Globalization means an unrestricted process of trade and commerce.
(b) It involves communication and assistance among the people around the world.
(c) Now it has become a result of improved communication.
(d) Here, media is playing the most vital role.
5. (a) My first day at school is the most memorable day in my life.
(b) I will always remember this day.
(c) The day was passed with my new classmates and teachers by me.
(d) The day was very thrilling.
(e) Don’t I remember my honourable teachers?
6. (a) learns; (b) is going; (c) will buy; (d) play; (e) never tells; (f) is; (g) obeys; (h) wants.
7. It was the month of June last year. From the Biman Office a bus of Bangladesh Biman took us to the airport. After checking in, I was given a boarding card with my seat number on it. It was a special moment and I was full of excitement.