[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5×8=4
A true friend is (a) — asset. He stands by his (b) — friend in time of danger. He is not (c) — greedy man. He always wishes for (d) — welfare of his friend. But it is (e) — matter of (f) — fact that (g) — ideal friend is very rare today. (h) — selfish man can’t be (i) — true friend. He thinks of his own (j) — interest.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
The Olympic Games were named (a) — the town (b) — Olympia in Greece. (c) — those days Greece was divided (d) — many cities. They used to fight (e) — themselves. A man named Iphitos was concerned (f) — such wasteful strifes. He hit (g) — a plan (h) — bring about peace in the country. His plan worked well.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Rural women are (a) — numerous tasks. (b) — they have limited working (c) —. Generally they do household chores. (d) — dawn to night they are working relentlessly for their family. (e) — ILO has taken a (f) — for the development of the (g) — women. The object of it is to provide sustainable (h) — . Proper training can help (i) — to enjoy better days. This (j) — lead them to be self reliant.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|People of all walks of life||joined||in the war.|
|They||fought||face to face with the enemies.|
|Our war of Independence||took||place in 1971.|
|Many people||were killed||the war.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Frugality is a good habit (Make it negative). (b) A frugal man does not like to spend money without reasons (Make it affirmative). Everyone can practise frugality to make a well planned family. (c) We should practise it (Make it passive). (d) A frugal man can save money (Make it interrogative). (e) A frugal man is happier than a prodigal man (Make it positive).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. 0.5 × 8 = 4
The brightness of the sun (a) — (become) dim before (b) — (sink) down of the sun below the horizon. It (c) — (mark) the end of the day. It (d) — (be) really very charming to (e) — (enjoy) the sunset scene in a cloudless sky. It (f) — (bear) some special qualities which help (g) — (attract) the views of people. It looks like a dish of gold. We (h) — (find) a brilliant show of colours in the western sky. Seven colours (i) — (make) the western sky look soothing. The crimson red is prominently (j) — (see).
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Once upon a time there was a good doctor he lived in a small village many people there raised chickens one day they came to the doctor’s house and said “please doctor help us all our chickens are sick What do they eat he asked white rice they replied.
Model Question-19 Solution
1. (a) an ; (b) × ; (c) a ; (d) the ; (e) a ; (f) × ; (g) an ; (h) A ; (i) a ; (j) ×.
2. (a) after ; (b) of ; (c) In ; (d) into ; (e) among ; (f) about ; (g) upon ; (h) to.
3. (a) performing; (b) But; (c) opportunities; (d) From; (e) Recently; (f) project; (g) rural; (h) development; (i) them; (j) may.
4. (a) Our war of Independence took place in 1971.
(b) Many people were killed in the war.
(c) People of all walks of life joined the war.
(d) They fought face to face with the enemies.
5. (a) Frugality is not a bad habit.
(b) A frugal man dislikes to spend money without reasons.
(c) It should be practiced by us.
(d) Can’t a frugal man save money?
(e) A prodigal man is not as happy as a frugal man.
6. (a) becomes; (b) sinking; (c) marks; (d) is; (e) enjoy; (f) bears; (g) attract; (h) find; (i) make; (j) seen.
7. Once upon a time, there was a good doctor. He lived in a small village. Many people there raised chickens. One day they came to the doctor’s house and said, “Please, doctor, help us. All our chickens are sick.” “What do they eat?” he asked. “White rice,” they replied.