[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section A: Grammar (Marks-30)
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Runa : Do you know what (a) —— event is?
Mona : Yes, daily happening or some occasions.
Runa : But what is news?
Mona : News is (b)—— piece of information.
Runa : What should news have?
Mona : News should have answer to all (c) —— questions with who, which, what, where, when, why and how.
Runa : Is news only printed or published on (d) —— newspapers?
Mona : No, it’s also broadcast on (e) —— internet.
Runa : Where does (f) —— word ‘news’ come from?
Mona : Some people opine that the word ‘news’ comes from (g) —— ‘new’.
Runa : What is another opinion?
Mona : Another (h) —— opinion is that it comes from all directions: North, East, West and South.
Runa : Thank you.
Mona : Welcome.
2. Kalam is writing a letter to his friend from Dhaka. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|at × 2||by||during||to||before||of||on|
My dear Azad,
It is quite a long time since I have heard from you. (a)—— this period I also did not write to you. Anyhow now I write to you about an accident that took place (b) —— my eyes last week.
It was about 3 pm. We some classmates were (c)—— our way home from college. We were trying to cross the Mirpur Road near the Science Laboratory. A young boy was also crossing the road. Just (d) —— that moment a truck was crossing at a great speed. The ill fated boy noticed it but before he could go to the other side (e) —— the road he was run over (f)—— the speedy truck. The truck did not stop rather it speeded away. I rushed (g)—— the spot. To my horror I saw that he was no more a human body but a lump of flesh. I was greatly shocked (h)——this tragic scene. I could not forget the scene.
I am keeping fine. With best regards to your parents and love to the younger.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear Father,
I am sorry to let you know that (a)—— has been suffering from fever since last week. For the first three days her fever (b)—— very high. She could not (c)—— anything nor could she sleep. We were (d)—— . In her high fever she told me to write to you (e)—— come home as soon as possible. We called in a (f) ——. He examined her (g)——carefully. She is taking medicine regularly and timely. Now she is improving (h)——. She can now eat and sleep. We hope, she will come (i)—— soon. Mother always talks of you. So, please come (j)—— as early as possible.
I am well. Hope this finds you hale and hearty.
Your loving daughter,
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Pinki||can||junior to her by one year.|
|She||be||a university student.|
|Nazma, her friend||present in the class.|
|Three-fourths of her class||work very hard.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Ripa is my elder sister. (Make it negative.) (b) She is very meritorious. (Make it exclamatory.) (c) She loves me very much. (Make it passive.) (d) She is respected by me. (Make it active.) (e) I feel proud of her. (Make it interrogative.)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Eid is our most important festival (a) ― (‘celebrate’ use past participle)― in a befitting manner. Millions of people (b)― (go)― to their village homes for Eid celebration with their near and dear ones. They have to (c)― (suffer) ― beyond measure because of transport scarcity. In spite of their sufferings, they (d)― (enjoy) ― the festival. But when they (e)― (‘make’ use present continuous tense) ― the journey to and from their work-place, a few of them (f) — (die) — by accidents. Their near and dear ones (g) — (bid) — them farewell for ever. The festival comes, but they never (h)― (return)―.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
father said when will you start for mymensingh and why tareq said tomorrow to buy some important books father said which things do you need only money replied the boy.
Model Question-1 Solution
1. (a) an; (b) a; (c) the; (d) the; (e) the; (f) the; (g) x; (h) x.
2. (a) During; (b) before; (c) on; (d) at; (e) of; (f) by; (g) to; (h) at;
3. (a) mother; (b) was; (c) eat; (d) nervous; (e) and; (f) doctor; (g) very; (h) slowly; (i) round; (j) home.
4. (i) Pinki is a university student.
(ii) She can work very hard.
(iii) Nazma, her friend is junior to her by one year.
(iv) Three-fourths of her class are present in the class.
5. (a) Ripa is not my younger sister.
(b) How meritorious she is!
(c) I am loved by her very much.
(d) I respect her.
(e) Don’t I feel proud of her?
6. (a) celebrated; (b) go; (c) suffer; (d) enjoy; (e) are making; (f) die; (g) bid; (h) return.
7. Father said, “When will you start for Mymensingh and why?” Tareq said, “Tomorrow, to buy one important books.” Father said, “Which things do you need?” “Only money,” replied the boy.