1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Mitu : Do you know patriotism is a noble (a) — virtue?
Ritu : Yes. It inspires (b) — man to shed last drop of blood to defend (c) — freedom of his (d) — country.
Mitu : (e) — man without patriotism is no better than (f) — beast.
Ritu : (g) — true patriot thinks for (h) — welfare of his country.
Mitu : We should always respect them.
2. Robi is writing to his friend Rakib about the importance of reading newspaper. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Your letter is (a) — hand. You wanted to know (b) — the importance of reading newspaper. Newspaper is a moving mirror (c) — the world we live (d) —. (e) — reading newspaper, one can acquire all the important news (f) — a glance. (g) — reading newspaper, a student can easily acquire general knowledge which may help him to build (h) — his future. So, we should read newspaper regularly.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear Brother,
I hope you are hale (a) — hearty. I think you are (b) — with your study. You know about (c) — sickness. But she has been (d) — a little bit pain in her heart. Father (e) — her to a nearby (f) — . The doctor has (g) — some medicine and (h) — her to have rest. Despite taking care and treatment, her condition is deteriorating day (i) — day. Mother is (j) — to see you. So come as soon as possible.
Your affectionate sister,
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|has become||greatly dependent on it.|
|Messages||has brought||far cheaper than telephone calls.|
|It||is||from one country to another within seconds.|
|Trade and commerce||can be transmitted||about a revolution in modern communication.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Walking is the best of all other exercises (make it positive). (b) Walking is usually taken in the morning (make it interrogative). (c) An early morning walk gives us fresh vigor and strength (make it negative). (d) It prevents many diseases (make it passive). (e) It is never harmful to our health (make it affirmative).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. Question a and c have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Recently the word ‘Digital Bangladesh’ (a) — (‘gain’ use present perfect tense) a great popularity in Bangladesh. Now the government is (b) — (digitalize) every ministry. Through internet, people (c) — (‘collect’ use present continuous tense) every information. Moreover admission form is (d) — (fill) and (e) — (submit) through internet in every university. So it has (f) — (erase) the wastage of time and money of the people rather (g) — (save) our time and money. So, for the better generation ‘Digital Bangladesh’ (h) — (be) urgently necessary.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
“What” cried the bat is that all you have to say to our gracious host is he not the wisest bravest and most generous of all animals and birds have you no praise for his noble character as well as for his goodness to us?
Model Question-10 Solution
1. (a) ´ ; (b) a ; (c) the ; (d) ´ ; (e) A ; (f) a ; (g) A ; (h) the.
2. (a) to ; (b) about ; (c) of ; (d) in ; (e) By ; (f) at ; (g) By ; (h) up.
3. (a) and ; (b) busy ; (c) mother’s ; (d) feeling ; (e) took ; (f) doctor ; (g) prescribed ; (h) advised; (i) by; (j) anxious.
4. (i) E-mail has brought about a revolution in modern communication.
(ii) Messages can be transmitted from one country to another within seconds.
(iii) It is far cheaper than telephone calls.
(iv) Trade and commerce has become greatly dependent on it.
5. (a) No other exercise is as good as walking.
(b) Isn’t walking usually taken in the morning?
(c) An early morning walk doesn’t give us incomplete vigor and strength.
(d) Many diseases are prevented by it.
(e) It is always useful to our health.
6. (a) has gained; (b) digitalizing; (c) are collecting; (d) filled; (e) submitted; (f) erased; (g) saved; (h) is.
7. “What?” cried the bat. “Is that all you have to say to our gracious host? Is he not the wisest, bravest and most generous of all animals and birds? Have you no praise for his noble character as well as for his goodness to us?”