[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (×) where no article is needed. 0.5×8=4
Myself : Hi, Muna. How are you?
Muna : Fine and you?
Myself : I’m fine by (a) — grace of Allah. Have you read today’s (b) — Daily Star?
Muna : Yes, what is (c) — matter? About which topics are you speaking?
Myself : About traffic jam caused by the CNG autorickshaws and (d) — truck drivers.
Muna : Yes, I have. It’s (e) — nice report.
Myself : I think, it has not been created only by the truck drivers.
Muna : You are right. It is also because of lack of obedience to (f) — traffic rules.
Myself : It is also because of large population and narrow roads.
Muna : Yes, you are right. (g) — government should take proper steps to minimise (h) — traffic jam.
Myself : That’s right. No more today, see you again.
Muna : Thank you.
2. Jakir is writing to his elder brother about their mother’s illness. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|to ×4||from ×2||of||for|
My dear brother,
I do not get any letter (a) — you for a long time. I hope you are hale and hearty. I like (b) — inform you that our mother has been suffering (c) — fever for a long time. We are very much worried (d) — her. The doctor has advised us (e) — take good care (f) — her and she needs rest. So you need (g) — come home immediately.
No more today. With best regards (h) — you.
Your affectionate brother,
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
In reply to your letter I would like to inform you that in new era of international affairs ‘Globalization’ has become a (a) —. That means, it is a process of expanding trade and commerce all (b) — the world by creating borderless market. With the (c) — of sophisticated communications media, rapid technological development (d) — rapid transportation facilities, the world has (e) — closer. (f) — the intermingling of culture, international trade system and international telecommunication system has played (g) — roles to turn the world into a (h) — . Present age is an (i) — of economical diplomacy. For the sake of trade, the countries of the world have come (j) — the same platform.
Write to me soon.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Life||is||the sum total of minutes, hours and days.|
|Time||have||as valuable as life itself.|
|It||is also||as mysterious as time.|
|Scientists||been striving to uncover the mystery of life and time.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Mr Ahmed is the wisest man in the village (Make it positive). (b) He is poor (Make it negative). He is old. (c) He could walk slowly (Make it interrogative). (d) He never eats more than one thing (Make it affirmative). (e) He can tell nice stories (Make it passive).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verb in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5×8=4
The Olympic Game (a) — (‘name’ use passive voice) after the town of Olympia in Greece. It (b) — (be) in Olympia that the games were (c) — (hold) long before the Christian era begins. In those days Greece was (d) — (divide) into many cities and men of different cities (e) — (‘fight’ expressing habit) one another most of the time. A man named Iphitos (f) — (become) concerned about such wasteful strifes. He (g) — (hit) upon a plan. His plan (h) — (work) well to stop sad strifes.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5×8=4
the two sons were very sad, but they were also greedy we can be rich they said. we have riches in our fields.
Model Question-9 Solution
1. (a) the ; (b) The ; (c) the ; (d) the ; (e) a ; (f) × ; (g) The ; (h) ×.
2. (a) from ; (b) to ; (c) from ; (d) for ; (e) to ; (f) of ; (g) to; (h) to.
3. (a) buzzword; (b) over; (c) progress; (d) and; (e) become; (f) Now; (g) important; (h) village; (i) age; (j) under.
4. (a) Life is the sum total of minutes, hours and days.
(b) It is as mysterious as time.
(c) Time is also as valuable as life itself.
(d) Scientists have been striving to uncover the mystery of life and time.
5. (a) No other man in the village is so wise as Mr Ahmed.
(b) He is not rich.
(c) Couldn’t he walk slowly?
(d) He always eats only one thing.
(e) Nice stories can be told by him.
6. (a) was named ; (b) was ; (c) held ; (d) divided ; (e) used to fight ; (f) became ; (g) hit ; (h) worked.
7. The two sons were very sad, but they were also greedy. “We can be rich,” they said. “We have riches in our fields.”