[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (x) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Customer :I like to buy (a) —— shirt and a tie.
Salesman :I think this will suit you well.
Customer :No, the shirt is tight (b) —— bit.
Salesman :Well, here is another one.
Customer :Yes, this suits me well. Now, show me (c) —— tie.
Salesman :Here it is.
Customer : No, (d) —— colour is not after my heart. I want (e) —— navy blue one.
Salesman :Ok, we’ve got a nice tie of that colour. Here it is.
Customer : Yes, it is (f) —— excellent tie. What’s (g) —— price, please?
Salesman :It’s (h) —— Tk. 700.00 only.
2. Jaseem is writing a letter to his father about his hostel life. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
I received your last letter (a) —— the 10th of this month. You have already come to know (b) —— my examination. You have wanted to know about my hostel life. (c) —— coming here, I was not acquainted (d) —— the hostel life in a cadet college. Now, I understand that student life (e) —— hostel is incomplete. Though at first I couldn’t adjust myself to this new life, now I feel quite (f) —— home in the school hostel. Since my arrival, I have been accustomed to a new disciplined life. I have to get up early (g) —— the morning and do all essential work. We are strictly guided (h) —— the superintendent. I do not feel homesick but I miss your company and affection.
Please pray to Allah for me.
With love to everybody,
Your loving son,
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
I received your letter (a) ——. You wanted to know about the people, their habit, culture (b) —— the important places of our country. Now, I am (c) —— you a short description of all these.
Bangladesh is a (d) —— country. Here about 1000 people (e) —— per square kilometre. About 80 percent people live in the villages. (f) —— of the people of our country are Muslims. Besides, (g) —— are Hindus, Buddhists, Christians and Tribes. The people (h) —— various festivals very (i) —— like Pahela Baishakh, Nabanna Utsab, etc. There are many important tourist (j) —— in our country such as the Sundarbans, the Cox’s Bazar, etc.
Please write about your country.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|Spring||bloom be||made up of the months of Falgun and Chaitra|
|In spring the weather||called the king of seasons|
|Different types of flowers||very soothing and comfortable|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Education is the backbone of a nation. (Make it interrogative). None can prosper without education. So (b) everyone should receive education. (Make it passive). (c) Many people cannot realize the importance of education. (Make it affirmative). (d) They are very foolish. (Make it exclamatory). (e) They must be advised by us. (Make it active).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5×8=4
Learning English by the people of a developing country like ours is essential for their own interest. We (a) —— (‘do’ in the negative) —— without English because of a lot of reasons. (b) —— (Make) —— communication internationally is not possible without learning this language. Besides, you can (c) —— (get) —— a good job if you know English. Tourism is impossible without (d) —— (know) —— English. During the English regime, once the Muslims of this subcontinent (e) —— (‘hate’ expressing habit) —— it. They thought that it was against Islamic values. They could (f) —— (realize) —— their wrong idea being (g) —— (motivate) —— by Sir Syed Ahmed. Since then, English has been (h) —— (teach) —— in our schools and colleges as a compulsory subject.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
why did you not go to school yesterday said the mother to the girl i was ill mum the girl replied how are you today the mother asked again well replied the girl
Model Question-10 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) a; (c) the; (d) the; (e) a; (f) an; (g) the; (h) ×.
2. (a) on; (b) about; (c) Before; (d) with; (e) without; (f) at; (g) in; (h) by.
3. (a) yesterday; (b) and; (c) giving; (d) populous; (e) live; (f) Most; (g) there; (h) observe; (i) gorgeously; (j) spots.
4. (a) Spring is called the king of seasons.
(b) It is made up of the months of Falgun and Chaitra.
(c) In spring, the weather is very soothing and comfortable.
(d) Different types of flowers bloom in abundance.
5. (a) Isn’t education the backbone of a nation?
(b) Education should be received (by everyone).
(c) Many people fail to realize the importance of education.
(d) How foolish they are!
(e) We must advise them.
6. (a) cannot do; (b) Making; (c) get; (e) knowing; (e) used to hate; (f) realize; (g) motivated; (h) taught.
7. “Why did you not go to school yesterday?” said the mother to the girl. “I was ill, Mum,” the girl replied. “How are you today?” the mother asked again. “Well,” replied the girl.