[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (x) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Myself : I’ve come to know that you’re currently reading (a) —— book “The Golden Age” by Tahmima Anam. Is it right?
Adit : Yes. At present, I’m reading this marvellous book. Do you know (b) —— subject matter of the book?
Myself : Of course. This is (c) —— novel written on (d) —— Liberation War. How do you feel about (e) —— book?
Adit : Feel charmed with the book. The book gives us (f) —— pen-picture of our great (g) —— Liberation War. The young generation will know a lot about our Liberation War from this book.
Myself : Has the book described the Liberation War only? Is there anything more in it?
Adit : Yes, this book has also (h) —— historical elements. You should go through it.
Myself : Thank you. See you again. Goodbye.
Adit : Thank you.
2. Nahin is writing to her friend about opening a bank account. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
|with × 2||in × 3||to||of||by|
Many thanks for your lovely letter. I am fine. Today I’m telling you how to open a bank account. If you want to keep your money (a) —— the bank, you must have a bank account. In order to open an account (b) —— a bank, you have to go to the bank and talk (c) —— the manager. The manager will give you an application form and you have to fill (d) —— it properly. Also, you have to be introduced (e) —— someone who has an account (f) —— the bank. The introducer must put his signature and his account number (g) —— the relevant part (h) —— the form.
Write to me if you need any more information.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
My dear Jahan,
Your letter is to hand. You have informed (a) —— your father is no more in this world. I am extremely (b) —— at the death of your father.
A man like him is very (c) —— in society. He loved me (d) —— his son. I will never (e) —— his love (f) —— affection.
However, none can (g) —— death. He will not (h) —— back. May Allah (i) —— you strength to (j) —— this loss. Convey my regards to your mother and love to the youngers.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|An ideal student||goes be||regarded as good citizens of a country|
|He/She||to school regularly and remains serious in the class|
|The ideal students||gentle, careful, sincere as well as morally upright|
|They||always loyal to his/her duty|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) ‘Shesher Kobita’ is a great novel. (Make it negative). (b) Rabindranath Tagore wrote it. (Make it passive). Its name is ‘Shesher Kobita’ but it is not a poem. (c) Its language is very difficult. (Make it exclamatory). (d) It is one of the greatest novels of Bengali literature. (Make it comparative). (e) Many readers like it. (Make it passive).
6. Fill in the gaps with the right form of verbs in the brackets. Question a and e have special instructions in the brackets for the use of verbs. 0.5×8=4
Students must appear at the examination because without it, teachers (a) —— (‘make’ in the negative) —— assessment of their knowledge. It is the system of testing what they have (b) —— (learn) —— within a certain period. Our traditional system of examination (c) —— (change) —— in order to (d) —— (ensure) —— accurate evaluation. In our previous system of examination, our learners (e) —— (‘answer’ expressing habit) —— the questions based only on essay-type pattern. It was a defective system in this sense that the marks (f) —— (award) —— for the same questions by different examiners would unexpectedly (g) —— (vary) ——. In the case of objective patterns, this variation does not (h) —— (happen) ——.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
excuse me can i have a short discussion with you saiful i have a big problem could you spare some of your valuable moments for me what a miracle ive just remembered you replied ramjan
Model Question-3 Solution
1. (a) the; (b) the; (c) a; (d) the; (e) the; (f) a; (g) ×; (h) ×.
2. (a) in; (b) with; (c) to; (d) in; (e) by; (f) with; (g) in; (h) of.
3. (a) that; (b) shocked; (c) rare; (d) like; (e) forget; (f) and; (g) escape; (h) come; (i) grant; (j) bear.
4. (a) An ideal student is always loyal to his/her duty.
(b) He/She goes to school regularly and remains serious in the class.
(c) The ideal students are gentle, careful, sincere as well as morally upright.
(d) They are regarded as good citizens of a country.
5. (a) ‘Shesher Kobita’ is not a trivial novel.
Or, ‘Shesher Kobita’ is not an ordinary novel.
(b) It was written by Rabindranath Tagore.
(c) How difficult its language is!
(d) It is greater than most other novels of Bengali literature.
(e) It is liked by many readers.
6. (a) cannot make; (b) learnt; (c) has been changed; (d) ensure; (e) used to answer; (f) awarded; (g) vary; (h) happen.
7. “Excuse me, can I have a short discussion with you, Saiful? I have a big problem. Could you spare some of your valuable moments for me?” “What a miracle! I’ve just remembered you,” replied Ramjan.