[Answer all the questions. Figures in the margin indicate full marks]
Section : Grammar – 30
1. Fill in the gaps with a, an or the and put a cross (x) where no article is needed. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Sports are not only (a) — matter of entertainment but also (b) — important aspect of the development of (c) — global relationship. (d) — sports venue is a meeting place of people from different (e) — countries. They can come closer to each other and express their views and (f) — opinions. It creates (g) — sense of brotherhood among them. Thus they develop (h) — global relationship which is an effective way of globalisation.
2. Choose the correct preposition from the box and fill in the gaps. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Dhaka is (a) — the Buriganga. It is an old city. The population (b) — Dhaka city is increasing day (c) — day. Dhaka is famous (d) — mosques. It became capital first (e) — 1610. (f) —the time of division of the Bengal, Dhaka was established as capital (g) — the second time (h) — 1905.
3. Complete the text using the words in the box as needed. 0.5 × 10 = 5
In autumn and winter some birds come from (a) — countries. They are called (b) —birds. They stay (c) — for a short time. The birds (d) — immense good to us. They (e) — our environment and maintain (f) — balance. They provide lots (g) — protein too. (h) — birds also do harm to us. They snatch (i) — things away and eat (j) — many crops.
4. Make four sentences from the following substitution table. 1 × 4 = 4
|The name of my country||independent from the invader in 1971.|
|It||became||beautiful because it is full of green trees.|
|My country||is||a small country with a large population.|
5. Read the following text and change the sentences as directed. 1 × 5 = 5
Success will not come to one’s life automatically. (a) Do you know it? (Passive) (b) An industrious boy goes a long way in life. (Negative) (c) A life with an assignment is an actual life. (Negative) (d) Industry is the most important thing in one’s life. (Comparative) (e) One cannot be successful without it. (Interrogative)
6. Fill in the gaps with the right forms of verbs in the brackets. Questions e and h have special instructions. 0.5 × 8 = 4
Parents (a) — (take) care of their children. While (b) — (take) care of them, they should (c) — (keep) in mind that children (d) — (be) as good as young trees. Also they (e) — (‘think’ use should) that children (f) — (need) some freedom as they get older. But they may (g) — (go) astray if they (h) — (‘allow’ use passive form) unbridled freedom.
7. Use appropriate punctuation marks and capital letters where necessary. 0.5 × 8 = 4
good morning how much preparation have you taken for Test Exam?” “A great preparation. i can stand first. Wow what a lucky girl but my preparation is not very nice” said Luna to Muna.
Model Question-22 Solution
1. (a) a; (b) an; (c) x; (d) The; (e) x; (f) x; (g) a; (h) a.
2. (a) on; (b) of; (c) by; (d) for; (e) in; (f) At; (g) for; (h) in.
3. (a) foreign; (b) migratory; (c) here; (d) do; (e) beautify; (f) ecological; (g) of; (h) Some; (i) many; (j) up.
4. (a) The name of my country is Bangladesh.
(b) It became independent from the invader in 1971.
(c) It is a small country with a large population.
(d) My country is beautiful because it is full of green trees.
5. (a) Is it known to you?
(b) An industrious boy doesn’t lag behind in life.
(c) A life without an assignment is not an actual life.
(d) Industry is more important than any other thing in one’s life.
(e) Can one be successful without it?
6. (a) take; (b) taking; (c) keep; (d) are; (e) should think; (f) need; (g) go; (h) are allowed.
7. “Good morning. How much preparation have you taken for Test Exam?” “A great preparation. I can stand first.” “Wow, what a lucky girl! But my preparation is not very nice,” said Luna to Muna.